Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Yup. DV is a boutique that has a couple US retail outlets. Very high quality stuff. Some of their tailored stuff is made by Attolini and some shoes are made by StefanoBi.

Cool - that's pretty close to the one I remember whose pictures are no longer working. Going by experience, your pants are the real deal.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

2. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

I found a pair of these last year. They still had a original $185 price tag on the bottom and I think they sold for just a bit north of that.

3. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

You're not selling 13s to Japan, I'd wager!

What, DM7 had a busted day?! Wonders never cease.

Anyway,
    Went to GW today specifically looking for a staple suit, and I found one :happy:
    But it wasn’t my size. :cloud:
    Anyway, it’s a pretty nice Southwick Herringbone Charcoal suit from Roger Stevens, one of the nicer men’s shops in town. Available
    [​IMG]

It won’t fit me, so get at me if it will fit you. It isn’t tagged, so go by measurements
    Three button, single vented. Not super heavy, but not exactly summerweight either. Trousers are flat front, but cuffed. All these thumbnails click through to full size pics.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Measurements
    PTP 24.5
    SHD 19.25
    BOC 32.25
    SLV 25.5
    W 18.75
    Ins 32.5
    Available, especially for trade. Pretty much anything on Manton's recent "well dressed" list.:embar:

4. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

I was traveling from LA --> Monterey --> Lake Tahoe with my girl, and was only willing to go to stores right off the freeway.

#DoingItRight

5. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Nettleton Shells - my size, so no need to share pics and get you all jealous! (Caveat..little bit of leather deterioration on heel)

Vintage Husqvarna Sewing machine for the wife

And records...Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers (real zipper), Coven Witchcraft album, Miles Davis at Fillmore (reissue but one I dont have)

and a nice pair of vintage motorcycle goggles (Climax, Made in Spain)

6. chiron

chiron Senior member

This one looks legit... there should be a serial number on the back of that red tag.

BTW Never Ever post that serial number on line or take a pic of it and post it.

7. chiron

chiron Senior member

When Targets on the East coast start putting out winter items, that is probably the best indicator.

8. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

No, no, no, you're missing the point. Granted we have become something of an exchange, but the real and original point of this thread was precisely to post pictures of things you weren't going to let anyone else have so that they'd be jealous of your great find!

(Where's my clapping Orson?)
    Anyway, nicely done, although I might say: pics or it didn't happen. Tell you what, just mail the bolded items to me, and I'll confirm to everyone that it happened.

9. DanM

DanM Senior member

One of the for profit thrifts nearby has started putting those damned hole-punching security tags in everything... including the side of a beautiful pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues. Several other AEs got the security-stab treatment there as well today. I'm assuming that kind of damage would ruin any attempt to flip?

On to the good news.

Found some ties....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some shoes...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

How long ago did Allen Edmonds stop using the "Handcrafted World of Allen Edmonds" on the inside of the shoe? I'd like to have an idea of the age of these MacNeils.

10. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Your right...just the thread has changed so much in the last year it seems...forgot the title! Here's the shoes and the goggles at least!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Damn! I just remembered that they opened a Savers by my work yesterday! Aaargh! Well hopefully I'll find some stuff tomorrow.

12. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Oh the things I left behind today... Probably should have grabbed some of them.

Found some unicorns finally, and another pair from the same guy that were pleated... both had piss stained linings and poor hem jobs that you could actually kind of see at the bottom of each pant leg... Passed. Found 2 RG shirts that were ugly... Like not RG technicolor flamboyance, but dated, multi-width stripes in dusty, muted (for RG) colors.

Then I found two monstrous pairs of Armani corduroy pants. Heaviest cords I've ever held. Had a narrow black giorgio armani label that I haven't seen before. One black pair, one brown, both in really good condition, shy of a few more pee stains internally on the liners. Left them because they must have belonged to a basketball player - Easily had to be a 36 inseam if not more. Oh and they were cuffed... Cords?

Then fixated on some flat front Lithuanian made J. Lindeberg heavy duty olive wool pants. Thought they were old military pants at first, reminded me of the pair s_allen_p grabbed last weekend. Seemed extremely well made and I figured they were special but left em.

So anyway, left all of that because I managed to pair up orphans of this variety...
    [​IMG]

Details tomorrow... A 50R would be approximately a 40R right?

13. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I suspect that AE would tell you if you sent an email along with a picture--they're pretty good about that sort of thing. The guy who runs the seconds store at the factory has been there forever and would likely know. And those shoes are absolutely marvelous, as are the shell Nettletons and vintage goggles. Very cool stuff.

Whilst others suffer from shoes ruined by security tags, I'm happy to report that the local SA has stopped writing prices on shoes with anything at all. They've gone to price stickers placed on the insoles, which is the absolute best, and, making things even better, they've stopped playing contemporary Christian music and reverted back to 70s hits.

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I checked. There is indeed!

Why?

15. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Pure [​IMG].

Fugg it.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.