Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

I am unfortunately.
    [​IMG]

2. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

In my recent, massive haul of dress shirts, I got a ton of new shirts that were still folded up and pinned in the cardboard and everything. I unwrapped them all to take measurements and pictures, and it turned out that quite a few of them had the paper tagged ripped off, but still had the barb in them. Now I have to list them NWOT, but I feel like its impossible to credibly portray to buyers that they are actually NWOT with how bad that is abused on ebay. So point is... it really sucks when you actually do buy something that is NWOT.

3. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

That circus tie is pretty great.

4. eazye

eazye Senior member

That was me, however, what I really find interesting is old tags in general, here's a couple of my favorites.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There's a bunch more that I don't want to dig up right now. Yes, I'm a nerd, and yes I'm o.k with that. :D

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

Hmm... Large is usually 7 1/2 - 7 3/4... and my size...

6. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

Resisting.....

7. eazye

eazye Senior member

In case anybody is interested, here's a full shot of the Peconic Bay cardigan. Huge shawl collar and leather buttons. This is probably my favorite sweater for the colder months. I would suggest anybody to grab these if they see them, as I don't think they have been discussed on here before. Really well made and thick as all get out.
    [​IMG]
    And here's the other one I found, again really thick with leather buttons. Very 80's preppy, in a good way. :D
    [​IMG]

8. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Used this chart. It measures almost exactly 22.75"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

What size do you wear? Try it on! [​IMG]

10. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Sorry, I missed this.
    Not looking for an external frame pack right now.

Thanks though.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Not effective. I wear a 7 7/8 - 8 on this melon.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Picked up a few things yesterday for personal use.

Cigar (sorry for the bad pics) linen blazer, and heavy LL Bean Oxford (that I wouldn't be surprised if it was NWOT, but I'm not selling, so it doesn't matter). Odd, I recently bought a new shirt in a very similar pattern, but lighter fabric. Now I have one for summer and winter.

[​IMG]

The tag, which should amuse eazye, even though it's only from the late 80's, and a nice closeup of the shirt fabric:

[​IMG]

Yes, it's a diffusion piece and not all that great quality, but I'm running with it. I like the color, and the linen is great for summer.

LL Bean Lambswool Cardigan, with fake leather buttons I plan on replacing. Not something I would buy to flip, but I like their stuff for myself. It's not nearly as purple as it comes across in the photo, the flash screwed with it and the non flash came out blurry. More of a purplish burgundy in real life.

[​IMG]

I also picked up a nice enough one cup french press that I'm not gonna bother posting a photo of, and these:

[​IMG]

The seal is for the US Olympic Committee, and the inscription is for the US Olympic Dinner, Washington DC, 1994, so this would have related to the Atlanta bid. Essentially New in Box, though one has a small scratch inside from handling at some point. I love the feel of Jefferson Cups and use them for just about all straight spirits, so I'm keeping at least one of these. If somebody really wants one, I'd entertain offers, but otherwise, mine.

I also realized I forgot to take pictures of two NWT Brooks Brothers ties- one mainline, one 346 from the University series, which is nice and slim at 2 3/4". Again, both for personal use.

As a sidenote, does anyone ever pick up Jos. A. Bank ties? I saw one new in its plastic wrapper (even stripes of navy and orange if there are any UVA grads around, 3.5" IIRC, probably still around), and, knowing the value of their other stuff around here, didn't pick it up. I have one I like well enough in my rotation, and while it's not as great as many I have, it's not awful. Would the NWT bit have cancelled out the fact that it's Jos. A Bank?

13. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

As far as flipping a Jos A Bank, I'm not sure you'd have much luck. However, I probably have about 15 or so nice silk ones for personal use. Not sure if it answers your question or not...

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

About what I thought, really. Worth grabbing for your own stock if you like the pattern, not worth trying to sell.

15. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Just picked this up. Looks virtually brand new.
    I've been looking for one of these for a few years, after seeing a guy wearing it on The Sartorialist.

No indication of where it's made but it's got that fancy BB tag.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.