• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Anyone in the market for a basic blue OCBD? Barneys house brand, made in the USA. Picked it up for a friend but it didn't fit him, so making it available here if anyone's interested. Nothing fancy, just a nice staple shirt that fits slimmer than those Brooks Brothers tents.

P2P - 23, Collar - 15.5, Sleeve - 34

In the spirit of this thread, it's available for cost + shipping. I'd also be interested in a trade. Currently looking for shell cordovan boots, preferably Alden. Can throw in a pair of genuine Allen Edmonds shoes as a further incentive.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dig, I'm not sure if you're gif refers to my post or yours :D
I'm staying out of women's clothes from now on in any case. I'll probably avoid that section of the thrift store too.:rimshot:
Regardless, I love the pic.
(You've heard, I assume, what Google's AI looked at on the internet when left to its own devices?)

The pic referred to my post as I was tired and just couldn't type a coherent thought!

I don't believe that I HAVE heard. Got a link? I tried googling it, to no avail. :embar:

Last edited:

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any numbers or anything on the inside?
Or sizes? (says the guy still lacking shell PTB)
Unfortunately, the only visible marking is the faint logo pictured on the insole. Can't even make that out.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

i have been talking about this paypal crap for over two years now,in canada (and most of europe as far as i know,i know i can do it with my Millenium swedish account and my deutsche bank account as well) you can send a person money through your bank account to another bank account all you need is their email.
i think its called interac bank to bank payment,if Canada can do it why cant US banks?
its just so ******* simple,no middleman period. 

http://www.interac.ca/consumers/productsandservices_ol_eTransfer.php

I just mentioned this in a post a couple of days ago: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/...ips-tricks-problems-questions/30#post_5635468

Basically, eBay.de just changed things recently. Now, I no longer receive direct bank transfers, they go to eBay. eBay releases the funds to me through PayPal rather than my bank account. I haven't determined whether they're collecting PayPal fees (or some sort of new fee) or whether it's for buyer protection/better regulation.

rayxlui

Reaction score

Any numbers or anything on the inside?
Or sizes? (says the guy still lacking shell PTB)

I'm thinking it might be Carroll & Co.

Or maybe one of the higher lines of Johnston & Murphy Presidential Line or Aristocrat. Old school Florsheim. Maybe Hanover?

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Lastly, found these shell cordovan ptbs. Can't quite see who the maker is. Any ideas?

OOOO I know this one. Those are difinitely Hanover, made for Scott's Shoes, and independant shoe store. About 30-35 years old. I have sold a few of those.
A little background on this pair below. I bought these from the original owner, and older gentleman who used to live here in the Hanover area. He said he purchased them new, at discount, at the Hanover Shoe Outlet downtown in the late 70's, I guess they were never sent to the Scott's location...wherever that is.

Here is a better look at the foot bed logo.
$(KGrHqR,!j!E6+9KqgviBPkjYt47Lw~~60_57.JPG

Scotts Soles
$(KGrHqJ,!pwE9eHf5fq(BPkjYm0DJ!~~60_57.JPG

Hanover Soles, unfortunately heels were replaced or you would see they were the same.
$T2eC16NHJHgE9n0yEi3MBP9jiyuHOw~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Also found a new without tags pinstripe Brooks Brothers Makers & Merchants 1818 Madison suit. Size 44 long, 39 waist.

Just wondering, how do you figure this is NWOT? Only reason I ask is that I dont want you to get someone pissed if you sell/trade it and it is not NWOT? The current line of Brooks Brothers suits have basting on the shoulder, cuffs and vents along with buttons in the pocket for the tailor to sew on. If the basting is not their, I would be extremely careful calling this NWOT...just my 2 cents.

PS - Post 2500
musicboohoo[1].gif

Last edited:

rayxlui

Reaction score

OOOO I know this one. Those are difinitely Hanover, made for Scott's Shoes, and independant shoe store. About 30-35 years old. I have sold a few of those. Here is a better look at the foot bed logo.
%24(KGrHqR,!j!E6+9KqgviBPkjYt47Lw~~60_57.JPG
Scotts Soles
%24(KGrHqJ,!pwE9eHf5fq(BPkjYm0DJ!~~60_57.JPG
Hanover Soles, unfortunately heels were replaced or you would see they were the same.
%24T2eC16NHJHgE9n0yEi3MBP9jiyuHOw~~60_57.JPG
WINNAR! I kept looking through your completed listening because I remember seeing you sell those lol.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OOOO I know this one. Those are difinitely Hanover, made for Scott's Shoes, and independant shoe store. About 30-35 years old. I have sold a few of those. Here is a better look at the foot bed logo.
%24(KGrHqR,!j!E6+9KqgviBPkjYt47Lw~~60_57.JPG
Scotts Soles
%24(KGrHqJ,!pwE9eHf5fq(BPkjYm0DJ!~~60_57.JPG
%24T2eC16NHJHgE9n0yEi3MBP9jiyuHOw~~60_57.JPG
Wow! That was awesome capn! Now I just have to figure out what size they are (sadly not 11 E).

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Defo not a good deal. EddieV is nuts i would have popped a cart full at $20 each, but never a million years for $79

ok so next time im sending a cartfull to luxswap, i picked up about 100 dolce mainline shirts for between 18.00 and 25.00 all nwt thought those were a better buy.....

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just wondering, how do you figure this is NWOT? Only reason I ask is that I dont want you to get someone pissed if you sell/trade it and it is not NWOT? The current line of Brooks Brothers suits have basting on the shoulder, cuffs and vents along with buttons in the pocket for the tailor to sew on. If the basting is not their, I would be extremely careful calling this NWOT...just my 2 cents.

PS - Post 2500
musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

I do need to be a bit more certain of that before claiming nwot. The pants are in their original, unhemmed state, and I've never seen anyone undo the hems before sending a suit to the thrift. Cursory examination at the shop didn't turn up any loose seams or other points of wear.

rayxlui

Reaction score

PS - Post 2500
musicboohoo%5B1%5D.gif

I think term NWOT should be reserved for those who actually bought it NWT, ripped it off themselves, tried it on, realized they looked like a seagull and then decides to sell right after, cause even if the chest pockets are sewn shut and the basting is still there, could be worn a couple of times.

One time I had an interview at Barclays for an "internship" (keep in mind I was a senior in high school, got the interview cause my principal used to work there). My principal let me borrow one of his suits from back in the day. Every. single. one. Had the basting, the little tag on the sleeve. I remember the one I tried it on. It was an Armani Black Label. First time touching a super nice suit and I remember it smelling funky. Maybe it was old or it dried cleaned or something. (Now I'm wondering why the dry cleaners didn't remove the bating). Went to the interview. The interviewee's suit was the same. Until I came onto styleforum, I honestly thought basting was part of the suit, like stripes or something and the sleeve tag was how you flaunted the brand (I wore a lot of Ecko back in the day).

Anyways, it seems those guys either thought it was the style as well or they were dumb asses.

I wouldn't be surprised, after all, it was Barclays.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think term NWOT should be reserved for those who actually bought it NWT, ripped it off themselves, tried it on, realized they looked like a seagull and then decides to sell right after, cause even if the chest pockets are sewn shut and the basting is still there, could be worn a couple of times.
One time I had an interview at Barclays for an "internship" (keep in mind I was a senior in high school, got the interview cause my principal used to work there). My principal let me borrow one of his suits from back in the day. Every. single. one. Had the basting, the little tag on the sleeve. I remember the one I tried it on. It was an Armani Black Label. First time touching a super nice suit and I remember it smelling funky. Maybe it was old or it dried cleaned or something. (Now I'm wondering why the dry cleaners didn't remove the bating). Went to the interview. The interviewee's suit was the same. Until I came onto styleforum, I honestly thought basting was part of the suit, like stripes or something and the sleeve tag was how you flaunted the brand (I wore a lot of Ecko back in the day).
Anyways, it seems those guys either thought it was the style as well or they were dumb asses.
I wouldn't be surprised, after all, it was Barclays.

were these guys in some wealth management/financial planner office? because i know some people who work at barclays (were at lehman) and that **** wouldn't fly in their banking group.

NWOT is my biggest pet peeve

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just mentioned this in a post a couple of days ago: http://www.styleforum.net/t/309281/...ips-tricks-problems-questions/30#post_5635468
Basically, eBay.de just changed things recently. Now, I no longer receive direct bank transfers, they go to eBay. eBay releases the funds to me through PayPal rather than my bank account. I haven't determined whether they're collecting PayPal fees (or some sort of new fee) or whether it's for buyer protection/better regulation.

Based on history, it's a safe bet that PP/eBay (they are really the same) is going to either skim fees or put a hold on your funds which, presumably, would enrich PP through interest collected on frozen accounts. I can send funds electronically via my bank at no charge, but not many folks know about it or how to set it up, including myself (I just know it's possible because my banker said so when I had to wire funds to Mexico awhile back). The good news is, ****** are beginning to appear in PP's armor with the development of alternatives, such as Dwolla and what my bank has done, and attention from the mainstream press. The NYT piece is, hopefully, just the beginning, and PP within a few years will be on the dust heap of flawed-and-failed digital ventures, along with AOL and Myspace.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads