1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tben

tben Senior member

^^ I come across Trussini a lot on my rounds and I am sure that they are not the house brand for Boyd's, however, this is probably the store where they are most stocked. Trussini makes fantastic pieces and are often compared to Caruso and Canali. They have almost no flip value whatsoever with the exception of selling a cashmere piece for not a sum which you would waste your time. Great for personal use, not so much for anything else.

I haven't been able to post in a while but I am out of town and found some post worthy items. Post on x-mas in addition to my SS gift. Super excited by that! Happy Holidays all!

2. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I used Alden's Restoration service for a pair of their cordovan saddle oxfords I inherited from my grandfather. They resoled and re-lasted them, plus gave me new shoe trees, bags, and a great polish. I think I paid $150.

3. tubs

tubs Senior member

CLAIMED Canali, 40R, Super 130s, Dual Vented
    [​IMG]

Length: 30.5
    Left Sleeve: 25
    Right Sleeve: 25.5
    Shoulders: 18.5
    Chest: 21
    Waist: 20

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AVAILABLE BB 42R Brown Herringbone Made In Italy

[​IMG]

Length: 31
    Sleeve: 24.5
    Sleeves: 19.5
    Chest: 22.5
    Waist: 21.75

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pendleton for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a hard time finding jackets, so I settled for this one. Would you guys wear this pattern?

I found a Rugby RL rugby for myself, and a bunch of great outdoor gear by Patagonia, NWT Arc Teryx women's running jacket, OR, Mountain Hardware, Ibex, REI and Sierra Designs stuff for ebay or store credit at my local store that sells used stuff.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  4. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Quote:
    Definitely, brown herringbone is a classic fall/winter pattern and the windowpane helps set it apart. Nice finds.

PM sent on the Canali.

5. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

Looks good! Good find!

6. tubs

tubs Senior member

I forgot to mention that I saw a North Face down mummy bag for $40 or $50. There was no indication as to what fill or model it was, but if anyone needs a bag, I can go back tomorrow. It was blue, regular length.

Also found these club monaco 32x32 pants. I really want to keep them. How much can the waist of pants be taken in?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

+3 for me on the herringbone. Very versatile and classic. Dress it up and dress it down (with denim).

8. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Can someone help me I.d the maker for this Golden Fleece suit? This is the tag

[​IMG]

9. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Thanks, man!

So sort of like a Mr. Sid in Boston -- not quite as stratospheric as Louis, Boston but if I find Mr. Sid house brand stuff I'd give it two hard looks before passing.

Was hoping you'd see my post but I am lucky to read 1/3 of what goes on here so I had no expectations. Happy Holidays.

I've found some DB stuff that's worked its way into the rotation and I get lots of compliments when I do it right. I also get similar comments to yours ("I haven't worn or seen anyone in a DB since [insert something here in the range of 1985-90], but that looks good on you"). The one that gets the most "looking good today!" is that damn Polo linen DB blazer with the "guaranteed to wrinkle" tag on the inside I poasted earlier this year...

[​IMG]

...that doesn't mean they're coming back in fashion or anything. Let's not go that far. But rather...you can pull off the style if you combo-ize intelligently and double check Flusser & Roetzel's (and DigMeNow's) thoughts.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  10. mainy

mainy Senior member

isaia

1 person likes this.
  11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

:rotflmao:

12. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Dude, go get that.

PS - are we opening our gifts today now that the world didnt end?

13. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Found a few things, no pics yet.

VTG Big E Levi's jacket...probably mid 60s. Tag is faded, but fits near a 38
    Ancient J. Riggins for Sears Mackinaw cruiser-style jacket. The lining has seen better days, but one of the nicer pieces of vintage outerwear I've picked up. No size tag, but again fits like a 38
    Two pairs of Zanella Bennett, one of which is LP Super 130s. 31 x 32
    Ridiculous Brooks Brothers FU unlined striped seersucker sport coat. 40R
    VTG Issey Miyake women's shirt. Medium

Oh, and here's a SW&D thrift fit. Flame on. Admittedly, it is a bad photo.

[​IMG]

Cooper down bomber (from rayxlui)
    Yohji Yamamoto Pour Homme vest (thrifted)
    Issey Miyake Men hidden placket button down shirt (thrifted)
    Helmut Lang waxed denim (from mainy)
    Buttero side zip suede boots (eBay)

3 people like this.
  14. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I personally wear a Brioni tux when I thrift to show people what's what.

15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I wear my white-waxed Naked and Famous jeans and blue suede boots with gum soles...about as douchey as I'm willing to go for Goodwill.

The one time I bumped into Dallas's preeminent man of used cloths, he looked like a homeless person. :D

16. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

First off, I wanted to give BIG THANKS to Nataku for the shirt. It fits perfectly and looks great, and it's just what I needed. Until I can repay the favour, I'm putting a curse on every Minnesota flipper for ya.

Love the top, love the bottom (with a bit less cuff) but together they seem incongruous. Some slacks would have made this fit great.

Yes - send directly to me.

So tempted to feed the troll....

17. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

mptobois?

18. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Thanks, I thought it would be Martin or something. Bonus for me :)

19. SpooPoker

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.