The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Nothing to throw a parade over, but a couple of useful items:

Hart Schaffner Marx tailored cords, finished waistband, lined to the knee, Made in Italy, single pleated--really quite nice ($2.50)

Joseph Abboud woven blue and white striped dress shirt, nothing amazing, but I like the texture and pattern ($2)

2. alexei

alexei Senior member

I'm not a huge fan of used clothing, but I check out a few thrift stores here and again looking for LP's and sometimes vintage furniture. Yesterday, I went to Goodwill to look for music and I thought I would check out the suit/jacket rack since I'm gaining more fashion knowledge as a member here. I was lucky enough to find a nice, newere Giorgio Armani suit for $7.00.

3. gsk3

gsk3 Member

BB suit, wool, in a conservative green with brown cross-hatch, for lack of a better term. $12. Fit well in the shoulders off the (Salvation Army) rack. Had it tailored a little ($22) to hem the pants and pull in the jacket some. Overall, looks really good for $34.

More recently:
    BB light brown (not really khaki) pants, $19 from Second Time Around's end of season sale in Boston.
    +$11 at the mediocre neighborhood tailor to shorten them by about 3".
    Decent pair of pants for $30.
    Also got an interesting pair of black with blue pinstripes that looks better than it sounds, same price, same tailor.

4. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Got a 3pc navy houndstooth suit from Jos A Banks for $130

5. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

I suppose I haven't been keeping up as I should; I guess the thread is like a diary that way. Looks like everyone's been finding some nice things. I myself have just been chugging along. I'm sure I'm missing a thing or two, but in the past couple of weeks I've found: (1) Brioni pencil-stripe suit (navy w/ a lighter, brighter blue), 3 button sb, double vents, excellent condition ($20--bit of a splurge), (2) three Borrelli rtw shirts--pink gingham, blue/white check, purple stripe ($6.99 each), (3) amazing Borrelli mtm or bespoke linen shirt, brand new, 1/4" pale blue and white stripes alternating with a very thin brick red stripe outlined in dk blue, amazing soft pleating on the shoulders--one of my nicest shirts and the first time I've seen that pleating really work ($4.50), (4) venerable old full brogue boots in london tan from some Northampton maker, resoled several times, now bearing an oil-proof sole!--may be time to bring the bespoke Lobb jodphurs in from the garden ($3.50), (5) unworn paisley tie in an unusual orange and blue pattern from Lord's of Burlington Arcade ($1.99), (6) incredible old bespoke black half brogues from A Rondepierre, 5 rue Volney, Paris, complete with the superlative lasted trees, hollowed out and hinged. Yesterday, however, was an especially good day. For my wife I found an incredible old vintage Vivienne Westwood coat (blue and white Harris tweed, db w/ the classic orb buttons on the chest and at the sleeves, rounded lapels faced with black velvet, crescent-shaped patch pockets, v. fitted at the waist and then flaring out in a skirt ending just above the knees, $6.99). And then one store later perhaps, value-wise, my best rtw shoe find of all time: EG Beaulieu in antiqued dk oak on the 606 last ($3.99).

6. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I suppose I haven't been keeping up as I should; I guess the thread is like a diary that way. Looks like everyone's been finding some nice things. I myself have just been chugging along. I'm sure I'm missing a thing or two, but in the past couple of weeks I've found: (1) Brioni pencil-stripe suit (navy w/ a lighter, brighter blue), 3 button sb, double vents, excellent condition ($20--bit of a splurge), (2) three Borrelli rtw shirts--pink gingham, blue/white check, purple stripe ($6.99 each), (3) amazing Borrelli mtm or bespoke linen shirt, brand new, 1/4" pale blue and white stripes alternating with a very thin brick red stripe outlined in dk blue, amazing soft pleating on the shoulders--one of my nicest shirts and the first time I've seen that pleating really work ($4.50), (4) venerable old full brogue boots in london tan from some Northampton maker, resoled several times, now bearing an oil-proof sole!--may be time to bring the bespoke Lobb jodphurs in from the garden ($3.50), (5) unworn paisley tie in an unusual orange and blue pattern from Lord's of Burlington Arcade ($1.99), (6) incredible old bespoke black half brogues from A Rondepierre, 5 rue Volney, Paris, complete with the superlative lasted trees, hollowed out and hinged. Yesterday, however, was an especially good day. For my wife I found an incredible old vintage Vivienne Westwood coat (blue and white Harris tweed, db w/ the classic orb buttons on the chest and at the sleeves, rounded lapels faced with black velvet, crescent-shaped patch pockets, v. fitted at the waist and then flaring out in a skirt ending just above the knees, $6.99). And then one store later perhaps, value-wise, my best rtw shoe find of all time: EG Beaulieu in antiqued dk oak on the 606 last ($3.99).

Where do you find these "Steals"?

In La La Land or FantasyLand?

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Again, we stand in awe, pejsek. [​IMG]

8. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

Where do you find these "Steals"?

In La La Land or FantasyLand?

San Francisco, so I suppose a bit of both.

9. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

San Francisco, so I suppose a bit of both.

Have you thought of becoming a personal shopper. At the prices you get your quality goods, you could make some very good money reselling it.

You could take orders. Start with me. I would like a Kiton solid charcoal 3 button suit 44R, and a pair of Lobb Monkstrap 11D's.

I figure, with your skills, you could get the suit and shoes for under $20.00, and I'll pay you $100.00!! Not bad, 5 times your money.

10. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

Just an addendum, really. Esquire shoe valet jammed to the gills with nice brushes, well-worn polishing cloths, tubes of Meltonian and Propert's shoe cream made in England (the latter bearing the royal warrant), numerous tins of Kiwi marked at twenty-five cents (the most recent one is fifty-nine cents). Was the old Kiwi the really good stuff (now watered down by Sara Lee)? All this for $3.99. Plus a brand new blue and brown woven Brioni tie, still holding tight to the original NM tag ($2.99).

11. pejsek

pejsek Senior member

More odds and ends. Interesting slim flat front bespoke trousers in glen plaid by J.C. Wells, dated 7/71, all-button fly, 8" at ankle ($2). Classic patent leather pumps, made in England for BB ($4). Weston 598 demi-chasse in tan w/ metal toe plate ($7.99). The change in weather seems to bring a change in fortune.

12. Spudbunny

Spudbunny Active Member

A Brioni suit, medium gray, $22.50 after a 10% discount. To be precise, a Brioni, Roman Style with no detectable flaws though I tend to find flaws later. It appears to be about one size small than the stated size, a 43, not a 44. I have found such variation to be true of Valentino suits. Is it also generally true of Brioni?

13. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

He Sccoooorrreesss!!!!

A pair of 2004 John Lobb prestige line....Vintage 2004 in the 8000 last in Chestnut Velvet Calf. At NM Last Call for $400!!!! NIB

[​IMG]

PM me if you wear a JL size 12E or 12EE. I got a City and a Lopez for you in those sizes in Black Calf.

Perry

PS, They came w/o Shoe Trees.
    Perry

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

He Sccoooorrreesss!!!!

A pair of 2004 John Lobb prestige line....Vintage 2004 in the 8000 last in Chestnut Velvet Calf. At NM Last Call for $400!!!! NIB

WOW! Now that is a find! May I ask what size?

15. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

WOW! Now that is a find! May I ask what size?

8.5Es.

I hate looking at shoes at SOF or NMLC. Too much crap in square black toes. But NM LC had a lot of stuff from the main store in so I spent some time looking at suits/jackets. Couldn't find a thing so wandered to the shoes.

Found a pair of Chocolate Velour Mantelassi brogues in the 9s but little else....They were about $400 also marked down from 895$, but I am not a Norwegian Welt fan.

However finding the Mantelassi's and a pair of Bench Made in England Cole Haan brogues (I already own the shoe; it was $250 marked down from $425; great value at $425), I kept looking.

I have no idea why I went to the 8.5s since no way I can wear a US 8.5. I suppose I was hoping that what happened would happen.

As I looked around I saw a shoe in a box near the floor that said )( John Lobb!!! Pulled it out and it was in my size (8.5E) and was the Vintage 2004!

Enterestingly enough there was a NM card in the box from SF which was Todd Peurala's, who has helped me with previous JL and BB purchases.

A bit of luck never hurts.

Perry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.