1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Nothing to throw a parade over, but a couple of useful items:

Hart Schaffner Marx tailored cords, finished waistband, lined to the knee, Made in Italy, single pleated--really quite nice ($2.50)

Joseph Abboud woven blue and white striped dress shirt, nothing amazing, but I like the texture and pattern ($2)

2. alexei

alexei Senior Member

I'm not a huge fan of used clothing, but I check out a few thrift stores here and again looking for LP's and sometimes vintage furniture. Yesterday, I went to Goodwill to look for music and I thought I would check out the suit/jacket rack since I'm gaining more fashion knowledge as a member here. I was lucky enough to find a nice, newere Giorgio Armani suit for $7.00.

3. gsk3

gsk3 Member

BB suit, wool, in a conservative green with brown cross-hatch, for lack of a better term. $12. Fit well in the shoulders off the (Salvation Army) rack. Had it tailored a little ($22) to hem the pants and pull in the jacket some. Overall, looks really good for $34.

More recently:
    BB light brown (not really khaki) pants, $19 from Second Time Around's end of season sale in Boston.
    +$11 at the mediocre neighborhood tailor to shorten them by about 3".
    Decent pair of pants for $30.
    Also got an interesting pair of black with blue pinstripes that looks better than it sounds, same price, same tailor.

4. jml90

jml90 Distinguished Member

Got a 3pc navy houndstooth suit from Jos A Banks for $130

5. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

I suppose I haven't been keeping up as I should; I guess the thread is like a diary that way. Looks like everyone's been finding some nice things. I myself have just been chugging along. I'm sure I'm missing a thing or two, but in the past couple of weeks I've found: (1) Brioni pencil-stripe suit (navy w/ a lighter, brighter blue), 3 button sb, double vents, excellent condition ($20--bit of a splurge), (2) three Borrelli rtw shirts--pink gingham, blue/white check, purple stripe ($6.99 each), (3) amazing Borrelli mtm or bespoke linen shirt, brand new, 1/4" pale blue and white stripes alternating with a very thin brick red stripe outlined in dk blue, amazing soft pleating on the shoulders--one of my nicest shirts and the first time I've seen that pleating really work ($4.50), (4) venerable old full brogue boots in london tan from some Northampton maker, resoled several times, now bearing an oil-proof sole!--may be time to bring the bespoke Lobb jodphurs in from the garden ($3.50), (5) unworn paisley tie in an unusual orange and blue pattern from Lord's of Burlington Arcade ($1.99), (6) incredible old bespoke black half brogues from A Rondepierre, 5 rue Volney, Paris, complete with the superlative lasted trees, hollowed out and hinged. Yesterday, however, was an especially good day. For my wife I found an incredible old vintage Vivienne Westwood coat (blue and white Harris tweed, db w/ the classic orb buttons on the chest and at the sleeves, rounded lapels faced with black velvet, crescent-shaped patch pockets, v. fitted at the waist and then flaring out in a skirt ending just above the knees, $6.99). And then one store later perhaps, value-wise, my best rtw shoe find of all time: EG Beaulieu in antiqued dk oak on the 606 last ($3.99).

6. rnoldh

rnoldh Stylish Dinosaur

I suppose I haven't been keeping up as I should; I guess the thread is like a diary that way. Looks like everyone's been finding some nice things. I myself have just been chugging along. I'm sure I'm missing a thing or two, but in the past couple of weeks I've found: (1) Brioni pencil-stripe suit (navy w/ a lighter, brighter blue), 3 button sb, double vents, excellent condition ($20--bit of a splurge), (2) three Borrelli rtw shirts--pink gingham, blue/white check, purple stripe ($6.99 each), (3) amazing Borrelli mtm or bespoke linen shirt, brand new, 1/4" pale blue and white stripes alternating with a very thin brick red stripe outlined in dk blue, amazing soft pleating on the shoulders--one of my nicest shirts and the first time I've seen that pleating really work ($4.50), (4) venerable old full brogue boots in london tan from some Northampton maker, resoled several times, now bearing an oil-proof sole!--may be time to bring the bespoke Lobb jodphurs in from the garden ($3.50), (5) unworn paisley tie in an unusual orange and blue pattern from Lord's of Burlington Arcade ($1.99), (6) incredible old bespoke black half brogues from A Rondepierre, 5 rue Volney, Paris, complete with the superlative lasted trees, hollowed out and hinged. Yesterday, however, was an especially good day. For my wife I found an incredible old vintage Vivienne Westwood coat (blue and white Harris tweed, db w/ the classic orb buttons on the chest and at the sleeves, rounded lapels faced with black velvet, crescent-shaped patch pockets, v. fitted at the waist and then flaring out in a skirt ending just above the knees, $6.99). And then one store later perhaps, value-wise, my best rtw shoe find of all time: EG Beaulieu in antiqued dk oak on the 606 last ($3.99).

Where do you find these "Steals"?

In La La Land or FantasyLand?

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Again, we stand in awe, pejsek. [​IMG]

8. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

Where do you find these "Steals"?

In La La Land or FantasyLand?

San Francisco, so I suppose a bit of both.

9. rnoldh

rnoldh Stylish Dinosaur

San Francisco, so I suppose a bit of both.

Have you thought of becoming a personal shopper. At the prices you get your quality goods, you could make some very good money reselling it.

You could take orders. Start with me. I would like a Kiton solid charcoal 3 button suit 44R, and a pair of Lobb Monkstrap 11D's.

I figure, with your skills, you could get the suit and shoes for under $20.00, and I'll pay you $100.00!! Not bad, 5 times your money.

10. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

Just an addendum, really. Esquire shoe valet jammed to the gills with nice brushes, well-worn polishing cloths, tubes of Meltonian and Propert's shoe cream made in England (the latter bearing the royal warrant), numerous tins of Kiwi marked at twenty-five cents (the most recent one is fifty-nine cents). Was the old Kiwi the really good stuff (now watered down by Sara Lee)? All this for $3.99. Plus a brand new blue and brown woven Brioni tie, still holding tight to the original NM tag ($2.99).

11. pejsek

pejsek Senior Member

More odds and ends. Interesting slim flat front bespoke trousers in glen plaid by J.C. Wells, dated 7/71, all-button fly, 8" at ankle ($2). Classic patent leather pumps, made in England for BB ($4). Weston 598 demi-chasse in tan w/ metal toe plate ($7.99). The change in weather seems to bring a change in fortune.

12. Spudbunny

Spudbunny Active Member

A Brioni suit, medium gray, $22.50 after a 10% discount. To be precise, a Brioni, Roman Style with no detectable flaws though I tend to find flaws later. It appears to be about one size small than the stated size, a 43, not a 44. I have found such variation to be true of Valentino suits. Is it also generally true of Brioni?

13. pkincy

pkincy Senior Member

He Sccoooorrreesss!!!!

A pair of 2004 John Lobb prestige line....Vintage 2004 in the 8000 last in Chestnut Velvet Calf. At NM Last Call for $400!!!! NIB

[​IMG]

PM me if you wear a JL size 12E or 12EE. I got a City and a Lopez for you in those sizes in Black Calf.

Perry

PS, They came w/o Shoe Trees.
    Perry

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

He Sccoooorrreesss!!!!

A pair of 2004 John Lobb prestige line....Vintage 2004 in the 8000 last in Chestnut Velvet Calf. At NM Last Call for $400!!!! NIB

WOW! Now that is a find! May I ask what size?

15. pkincy

pkincy Senior Member

WOW! Now that is a find! May I ask what size?

8.5Es.

I hate looking at shoes at SOF or NMLC. Too much crap in square black toes. But NM LC had a lot of stuff from the main store in so I spent some time looking at suits/jackets. Couldn't find a thing so wandered to the shoes.

Found a pair of Chocolate Velour Mantelassi brogues in the 9s but little else....They were about $400 also marked down from 895$, but I am not a Norwegian Welt fan.

However finding the Mantelassi's and a pair of Bench Made in England Cole Haan brogues (I already own the shoe; it was $250 marked down from $425; great value at $425), I kept looking.

I have no idea why I went to the 8.5s since no way I can wear a US 8.5. I suppose I was hoping that what happened would happen.

As I looked around I saw a shoe in a box near the floor that said )( John Lobb!!! Pulled it out and it was in my size (8.5E) and was the Vintage 2004!

Enterestingly enough there was a NM card in the box from SF which was Todd Peurala's, who has helped me with previous JL and BB purchases.

A bit of luck never hurts.

Perry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.