The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Need more info, but, if the frame is made from Reynolds 531, it is good.

2. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Just a heads up to anyone in the SoCal area:

Might be having an informal SF/Thrifting meet up tomorrow...

So far have 3 or 4 people... Anyone is welcome!

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

How do I tell?

4. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Quality vintage bicycles have decals on the frame, generally on the seat tube near the bottom, just above the crankset, that denotes the frame material. The decal will be a bit larger than a postage stamp. It could be somewhere else, but generally speaking, it will be somewhere on the seat tube--that's the part of the frame that is nearly perpendicular to the ground that the seat post goes in.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

5. tben

tben Senior member

Nah, just a date.
    Have you every seen Dior sunglasses? They are extremely popular and I have seen thousands of fakes. People are aware of Dior (homme).
    Also curious...

6. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

The only ones that I have seen are sold through Wal-Mart, Target, Academy Sports, etc.. So I would pass. Should have a "made in" label somewhere - probably China or possibly Taiwan.

7. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Can't seem to get photos to load on a PM, so this is confidential to Eazy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. grendel

grendel Senior member

Wasn't one.
    Yeah, made in Taiwan. It was a Gran Concur which I found on a bike site as sold for $25, so I left it.

9. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

One of my big pet peeves happened today:

I was on the suit rack, a fellow joined me and then decided to try on suits about 3 yards ahead of me. I tried to ignore him but did notice this guy was a douche trying on suit jackets waaaaay too small for him.

Is it not obvious that something will fit or not once you have it in your hands?

He was approx a 6' 3" fat guy, obviously sized upper 40's / lower 50's. Why he would try on small suits (appropriately placed in the small section) is absolutely beyond me :facepalm:.

However, now to one of my biggest pet peeves - the orphan jacket without pants!

The fellow (ascertaining that the two suit jackets did not fit) decided it was appropriate to take the pants.

Yup, the a$$hole took the damn pants to two pinstripe suits (a medium gray and a charcoal PS).

When I eventually get to the two jackets, imagine my anger and shock when the jacket labels were both Brioni. F**k this piece of sh*t, I went looking for him but he must have checked out. That thrift store do not adhere to the policy "if it aint tagged, no buy". They standardize their prices for all pants unless otherwise marked.

Worst thing, these suits were sized 38R - I need these sizes for trades with some nice fellows on here! I am so extremely gutted and dissapointed this happened! To those of you that want to wear pinstripe orphans, PM me and I can go back Monday morning to pick up. The jackets are suit prices though (since this store puts tags on the suit jacket but not the pants but it is a price for a complete unit), which works out to $32.99 each at this thrift.

Pretty much near bottom of the Armani rung in terms of quality. IMO it goes something like:

1. Black Label
    2. Collezioni
    3. Emporio
    4. Armani Jeans

I leave out dead labels like Mani, Armani Exchange etc...

Cannot say I have ever seen a pair of Dior sunglasses. Are they something you pick up at Sunglasses Hut? I am a cheapskate with sunnies - I start and end my shopping with Oakley.

10. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Some pretty good finds today. Definitely the biggest tie haul I've had in awhile...lots of first time finds too. Ties first:

[​IMG]

Zegna, Ted Baker, Bizzochi, Bizzochi

[​IMG]

Chavret (my first!!), Brioni (also my first!!), Hickey Hand Tailored, Altea

I think all of the ties were from the same donor and are very recent. I know the Hickey HT label is the most recent, and I'm pretty sure that's a very recent Brioni label too.

[​IMG]

This guy was far away from home: Carrol & Co. suit (first). Pretty old union label, but the styling is very modern (tapered leg flat front pants, side vented, soft shoulder)

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lubiam with VBC cloth (another first). Possibly an orphan, usable as an SC especially with a button swap. Left behind an almost identical blue one because it had fraying on the cuffs and was twice the price of this one for some reason (and also clearly an orphan).

[​IMG][​IMG]

Zegna cashmere & silk SC. Little dirty on the sleeves which will hopefully come out.

[​IMG]

Lorenzini (first), T&A, Tyrwhitt superfine 180s. Almost always pass Tyrwhitt, but this one was crazy soft and very nice looking

[​IMG]

Aquascutum, NWOT Pendleton, Eton slim fit (exactly my size!!)

[​IMG]

This is the other W&G shirt I left a few weeks back because it had a hole and some stains, but Nataku said i should pick it up anyway. Was half off today so I picked it up. The hole is really small and might be fixable and I'm pretty sure the stains will come out. I hadn't noticed the shoulder patch until I saw it again this time. Really heavy and interesting shirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would love some help authenticating these two: for the shirt, does anyone know if Lacoste makes long sleeve shirts in HK? Everything about this one seemed right and the quality seemed good, but I hadn't see anything from HK from them before...though I haven't seen many long sleeve Lacoste shirts. Pics below. With the pants, the alligator label is different than I'm used to seeing but the materials tag looks right. They're my size so I'm not too worried if they're fake, but I wouldn't mind knowing anyhow. Both have the typical "Devanlay" materials tags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, got this Barneys Trim Fit shirt that I figured someone around here might want for cost. Got it home only to realize there's a small rip in one of the sleeves. It's right underneath the part that isn't visible when the sleeves are buttoned, so as long as it's worn buttoned it should be fine. Really nice color, spread collar, cut very slim. Tagged size 15.5R...pretty sure it's made by Piatelli as I know they made Barneys house brand at some point, and the tag and script look identical to a Piatelli shirt I have. Hit me up for cost plus ship if anyone wants it.

EDIT: Almost forgot, I saw this piece of pure baller as well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yup, that's one of those half tuxedo jackets with the coattails, by no other than the fine Christian Dior. I was seriously going to buy it if it was my size but they were asking $49 just for the jacket (!!!). Still, it was kind of an amazing sight to behold.

11. mainy

mainy Senior member

nice ties, lacoste shirt is real, pretty sure the pants are too, they've been doing some funky throwback labels like that lately and i don't see pants as being something worthy of faking

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

Nice ties!

What size is the Carrol & Co? Have any pics with it closed?

Weird coincidence... I passed on a Lubiam 1911 today with low gorge and no vents.

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Thanks! Carroll & Co. isn't tagged but it looks really small. If I had to guess, I'd say 38R/Sish. I'll take measurements a bit later. I really didn't know much about Lubiam, but it's a really big size and it seems very well made. I *think* this one is side vented.

Ah, thanks a bunch man. Yeah, they both seemed legit, so thanks for the info.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I don't have the time to answer every single question (granted my volume is probably higher than yours) so I preemptively take the time to list all measurements in everything. I think in the past month with over 150 auctions running, Ive only received 2-3 questions about additional measurements, and all of them were if there was extra fabric on the inside of something.

PS - Brian - every answer I see you give regarding eBay questions is pretty much exactly what I would say. You have a lot of knowledge about it, more than most. I think with a little application and some good product flow, you could be great. (Not that you aren't great, I mean your sales).

15. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Alright, I cannot even claim to be finding stuff like any of you guys

Nice pull Andro.

This first one I need a ton of help on. I posted in the label thread for some help. I want it to be an epic find so hopefully one of you guys can ID the maker.

Copied and pasted from the other thread:
    I tried doing my own research but I am a complete failure. I know what I really would like this label to mean, but just am not sure it means what it means.

Here are the only two labels on the sportcoat. Obviously the Jack Taylor one means it was tailor and purchased from "the" Jack Taylor, right? That "K" certainly looks like a famous K, but doesn't look like any of the labels I have seen.

Some details on the coat if it helps: Houndstooth, one button, working cuffs, patch pockets, and extremely soft.

[​IMG]

Some additional pictures if it helps (Click to hide)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A nice Corneliani Tagged 40S

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Solid Red Polo Tie
    [​IMG]

An interesting Zanella cupro shirt
    [​IMG]

Couple pairs of shoes, Allen Edmonds Orthotics (missing the orthotic insole 9EEE) and J&M Sheepskin Brennan Saddle Loafers 12M

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple more things to follow later when I have more time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.