The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

In my opinion it looks like a nicer Italian made shirt with a fake Dior Homme label sewn onto it.

In other news, I scored a beautiful Oxxford charcoal w/ purple pinstripe suit today. 2 btn. Single vent. 46 T. Got some other goodies including a orig pressing of Pearls Before Swine's Balaklava LP on ESP Disk. Still in the shrink wrap! Also mono copies of Bob Dylan's Bring it all Back Home and Highway 61 Revisited.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

2. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Interesting. This theory would reconcile the two conflicting theories re: the fabric quality & material tag vs. the label. Sounds plausible.

3. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Frankly, it is impossible to tell, from the provided pictures, whether that shirt is real or not. Dior does, indeed, make any number of "regular" looking items. The label placement could be indicative of a faked item, but if you look around on the Internet, you'll find any number of examples of shirts that have the label placed lower. The example Ray provided was from the Heidi Slimane era, which was like what, 5+ years ago? Slight derivations are to be expected. My thought is that no one is going to hack a Dior Homme shirt. As pointed out by Klobber, what's the point? Counterfeiting only makes sense when there's a mass consumption element present.

Probably, I would think, the proof would be in the measurements. Brands like Dior Homme may vary in terms of aesthetic, but the item isn't going to be cut like a rich old man shirt. So, if the shirt has like a 25 inch p2p, my guess is that Nataku's suggestion may be true. If not, well, maybe it's authentic?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

4. codhead

codhead Senior member

The reason someone would fake Dior Homme is because it fetches good, very good money, especially if it can be traced back to a specific runway show/season

I recently found and flipped a Dior Homme, Lanvin, D&G and Prada jackets. All were the same size (36" super skinny), all new without tags and all were genuine. The D&G was brown goat leather, the Dior and Lanvin were wool and the Prada was a hooded jacket in a beatifully fine wool/mohair worsted, complete with gillet. The Dior fetched nearly as much as the other three jackets combined.

As for authenticity of the shirt, the label doesn't look right to me. All the Dior labels I've found have only been sewn at each corner, not along top & bottom, fabric composition/laundry instructions are also usually only in French and then English, like these:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The "For Japan Only" on the laundry care tag refers only to the symbols below, some people erroneously think it means the garment can only be sold in Japan

I'll be looking for some help myself later in authenticating some ties that I found. I'm confident of most but a couple seem to be a bit dodgy to me

5. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Daaaaaaaaaamn. Someone else I know made a pretty sweet thrift record score in the last day too and I'm jealous because I haven't found anything good in a long long time. I have One Nation Underground but not Balaklava so I'm jealous...

6. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

My find of the day. 15.5/38
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

30's you say..... hmm whats the measurements?

Sweet shirt and pant finds also!

8. 951socal

951socal Senior member

in general anyone that asks for measurements is not a serious buyer, you can measure stuff all day for people

width and length of ties and stupid stuff like that.

its best to ignore these types. They used to be called tire- kickers in the auto industry, they'd ask to test drive our SS chevelles or other high end cars and ask questions that nay real auto enthusiast knew

That dior shirt is fake.

Dior homme isn't that expensive guys!

i have a few shirts from them, the reference numbers tell you the season fyi, silver back round

you can pick up dior homme stuff at off saks 5th avenue or Neiman marcus last call for the $40-50 range every other season.

F/W stuff is rare

but kris van assche is not well received so his stuff hits like 90% off clearance

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

10. 951socal

951socal Senior member

Frankly, it is impossible to tell, from the provided pictures, whether that shirt is real or not. Dior does, indeed, make any number of "regular" looking items. The label placement could be indicative of a faked item, but if you look around on the Internet, you'll find any number of examples of shirts that have the label placed lower. The example Ray provided was from the Heidi Slimane era, which was like what, 5+ years ago? Slight derivations are to be expected. My thought is that no one is going to hack a Dior Homme shirt. As pointed out by Klobber, what's the point? Counterfeiting only makes sense when there's a mass consumption element present.
    Probably, I would think, the proof would be in the measurements. Brands like Dior Homme may vary in terms of aesthetic, but the item isn't going to be cut like a rich old man shirt. So, if the shirt has like a 25 inch p2p, my guess is that Nataku's suggestion may be true. If not, well, maybe it's authentic?[/quote

Dior homme is one of the most faked brands available on the market
    even rick owensis faked now

Heidi Slimane had a huge impact on fashion

http://reviews.ebay.com/Identifying-Fake-Dior-Homme-tags-labels?ugid=10000000011208837

11. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Yes, it was a pretty pathetic attempt.

12. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

It depends on what measurements they ask for but, in general, I think you're right. The other question that folks ask that drives me nuts on shoes is, Are these true to size? How the hell would I know? It's not like I can change the size of my foot to check it out. I sold two pairs of AE the other day for bargain-basement prices, and so it wasn't surprising that I got a ton of interest. One of the first responders asked about the color and whether they were TTS and, if so, he would buy them. He sounded a bit miffed when I told him they were sold--he pointed out that he'd PM'd me within an hour or so of the shoes being posted. Yeah, you did, but you didn't ask for my PP address so you could send me money, you just asked a tire-kicking question while four other guys got in line. Sheesh.

13. Brianpore

IMO width and length of a tie is much more important then the out sole on a shoe. Do you really want 4" tie when your looking for a skinnier 3 1/4" tie? Sometimes it's hard to tell from photos how wide the tie is. Out sole on a shoe is pointless, BUT takes 30 seconds to measure and put in the listing. Then when someone complains it does not fit, you have "measurements" to reference which has helped me a few times.

14. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

Here are the Paul Stuart suits and jackets I found yesterday. All marked 40S so they are available.

A perfect summer suit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Camel color herringbone, lightweight and unlined, double vents, patch pockets, lots of pick sticking side adjusters on flat front trousers. This thing is tits and it kills me that it isn't my size. The ideal summer suit.

Sh: 18.5
    Ch: 21
    Sl: 24
    BoC: 29.75

Another nice summer suit by Paul Stuart. Made in Italy. Can anyone ID the maker?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A nice medium blue, not quite navy, with dark pinstripe, lightweight but lined, double vent, trousers have single reverse pleat. Side buttons on waistband to give you a little more room after that big meal.

Sl: 23
    BoC: 29.5
    Grey herringbonish suit
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Light grey with a herringbone pattern that actually when you look close up at it is more like a basketweave. Lightweight, unlined, single center vent, trousers with forward double pleats. Just noticed there is a small spot on one trouser leg, have no idea if it might come out at the cleaners.
    BoC: 29

Nice sportcoat in a pattern that I don't know what to call. Single vent, lined.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    BoC: 29.25

Tucked inside the jacket were a pair of Paul Stuart trousers in a dark green. Apparently unworn because the tag from the tailor is still on them. Double reverse pleats.

15. Brianpore

Looks like Isaia....but I think the lower quality line. Not 100% sure how to tell the difference between the tags in the high quality/low quality line (not sure you can by the label), but is it half or fully canvassed, lots of handwork, etc?

PS - On that note, I passed another Isaia made jacket the other day [​IMG] That makes 2 total now. This tag is not burned into my memory (and phone) for good.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.