1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Pretty solid. My uneducated guess is that these weren't made for Walmart. They probably couldn't move their inventory and so unloaded a bunch of them there. The hangers are nice. I've been wanting a salt-and-pepper tweed with side vents, and this fit the bill.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  2. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

3. Randy

Randy Senior member

Looks great!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  4. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Today, I went for a nice ride on my cyclocross bike. I hit some dirt trails and hit a couple of GWs on my way home.

Yeah, it's not a relevant part of the story, just wanted to post a pic of the bike I got for free. Not thrifted, but definitely my best Freetarian score. It's a 2003 Bianchi Axis for those who want to know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the first GW, which happens to be my favorite (and also the one that marked up the suits and sport coats substantially in the last couple of weeks); I almost had a good run. Vineyard Vines, Zegna, Brooks Brothers and Gant shirts; but nothing in my size (and I couldn't exactly carry a ton of stuff in my CamelBak!). I did, however, score another shirt from Tori Richard, my absolute favorite shirt manufacturer. This is my first one in Rayon (the others being either Cotton Lawn or normal cotton). It's a nice color, and somewhere around 10 years old. The abalone shell buttons are just the thing to remind me of trips to Hawaii...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I stopped at one more GW on the way home, and had some interesting luck. More on that when you see the pictures...

I thought I scored pretty well with the ties. A nice Zegna and a cool Brooks Brothers. I guess the Zegna is a knockoff. Oh well, you can't win them all. At least I can return it for store credit... The Brooks Brothers is in damn good shape except for the one bit of loose thread you can see in the pic. I'll have to do a tiny bit of surgery on it.

[​IMG]

Then I walked over to the hats... I resisted the temptation to buy this "gem":

[​IMG]

In the pants, I found some cool stuff...

A pair of Kuhl pants. I've tried this stuff on at REI before, and always liked it, but not at retail prices. So, I scored a pair at thrift prices. Much better... These'll be nice for morning bouldering sessions and such.

[​IMG]

I found a couple of pairs of Zanella pants that fit me pretty well, though would need to be hemmed a bit. Somehow, I failed to notice a few imperfections. So, these are going back unless someone really wants two pairs of Zanellas with a couple of small wear holes (one is tagged 34, the other 36; though I think the 36s were taken in a bit, as they fit about the same).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the piece de resistance... A NWT pair of Plus 4 knickers from golfknickers.com. My size even... Sort of an ugly shade of brown, but perhaps they'll sell on Ebay? If I was going to wear knickers on the golf course, I'd go full bore into something loud and plaid. Size 32, if anyone is interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After all that, I got back home about 20 minutes after sunset. Good times...

5. Ejay415

Ejay415 Member

Hi all, thrift noob here. Just started thrifting and this thread has been an inspiration. Here are my finds from a couple of nearby goodwills-

[​IMG]
    hand-rolled italy pocket square, polo, faconnable,YSL,Burberry,BB,Zegna(fake?)

[​IMG]
    Land's End Harris Tweed
    [​IMG]
    Lanvin
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zegna 100% linen
    [​IMG]
    Kiton
    [​IMG]
    Loro Piana
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

:wow:

Whoa, anyone that makes it out there: I'll take a 36 if you find it! Seriously!

7. catside

catside Senior member

Nothing in my WalMart and not on website.

8. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

One of these days I'll get around to doing this to the Brioni Sportcoat I picked up for $3 that was riddled with month holes.

9. catside

catside Senior member

If there was a step by step guide to suit dissection where the photos get uniform etc then we could do this with many stuff. We need help from one of the tailors. I can use a new twist to this hobby. eBay is getting old and boring.

10. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Nice stuff!

This returns to my original (unanswered) question recently: Are Harris Tweeds (assuming decent condition/look) worth grabbing for trade/flipping? Left one at a GW for $10 because I was unsure, but now several are googoo over them at $75 (admittedly new).

11. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I'll offer up the first sacrifice once we decide on some standards.

Things have evolved quickly:

Bragging
    Bitching about politics and ethics (and journalism)
    Secret Santa (which, if it doesn't get here by this weekend, will have to wait until I'm back on the first ...)
    Awards Ceremony
    Suit dissection

What's next?

12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

FWIW I sold a vintage 40R made in Great Britain Dunn & Co 3 button HT last week on ebay. No issues with the jacket. Started at $1, sold for about $28 IIRC.

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

On average I am selling the used ones I find for as much or more than those new ones.

14. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Spoo sold a few of those last week. I wonder what they went for..

15. concealed

concealed Senior member

But Wes has superior pictures and a captive audience. I would advise against picking up all the Harris Tweeds you see in the Hartford area. There are literally hundreds and most of them aren't worth your time. If you can grab a piece that is in good shape for under $5 be my guest, but that would be my reccomended threshold.

16. catside

catside Senior member

Wal Mart ones look good. I may buy one or two despite having both colors. It will still be an upgrade. Fusing vs canvassed should not be a problem with handloomed tweed. It is a canvas all by itself.

17. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

quote name="ChetBakerSings" url="/t/9006/the-official-thrift-discount-store-bragging-thread/57690#post_5981308"]On the discount side: Stopped by Walmart for some groceries tonight and saw these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Side vented. Looks like they are probably overstock from harristweedscotland.com. If any of you saw that three-part documentary by the BBC on Harris Tweed, this is the company owned by that Haggas guy:
    Edit: Looks like they are still selling these for $600 online: http://www.harristweedscotland.com/shop-online/laxdale-harris-tweed-jacket/[/quote]

Whoa. If we start seeing overstock brooks brothers at walmart, then the Mayans may be right!

18. vlassis

vlassis Well-Known Member

Picked these up on the weekend at the local animal rescue thrift store. The Lee Allison 'Four in Hands' is particularly awesome with it's cigar imagery. Any interest?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Found a nice Hermes tie, my collection is growing. I never wear them, but I just have a collection....

20. vlassis

vlassis Well-Known Member

Feel very lucky to be sitting up here in Vancouver, BC, Canada! Our thrift stores are still pretty low-key with pricing with the exception of the two big ones. Value Vintage (hit them on 50% off day) for $5 Dack's and D&C, and Salvation Army (take in donation and get 20% off coupon) for $30 Gucci & Escada.

The church and SPCA thrifts can still be negotiated with at the counter. My lady and I love thrifting and have started making some decent $ off of it online and with local contacts. She grabbed a vintage Versace blazer - early 80's - for $8.99Cdn. and others that I am sworn to secrecy on!

With Vancouver being so international and generous in nature, good ladies and men drop-off weekly and we reap the rewards!

Wishing everyone the best with their treasure hunting this Xmas season!

V & H

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.