1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tubs

tubs Senior member

Is Polo University Club worth picking up? I found this 40. Not for me... I pick up stuff for trades mostly. Here's the jacket
    [​IMG]

2. eazye

eazye Senior member

Phew! Thank God nothing in my size. :embar:

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Look out then.....I just got back from the thrift....a few plaids. You may want to avoid SF tomorrow. lol.

4. westling

westling Well-Known Member

Most interesting stuff about last weekend was what I left behind:

• Never imagined I'd walk away from an Oxxford in good condition at GW, but this double-breasted solid gray beast had the ugliest peak lapels I've ever seen and was marked at $50 to boot.
    • A dark gray Belvest double-breasted wool & cashmere sports coat, marked at $18, with mercifully smaller lapels but which just didn't look right for some reason. I couldn't put my finger on it; it just looked "off". (My wife hated both this one and the Oxxford so that clinched it.)
    • A good looking pair of Allen Edmonds cap toes in my size, marked at $20. Good looking until I turned them over and saw some kind of rubber orthopedic device grafted into the right one that raised it about 1/4 inch. How they came up with $20 is beyond me. Unless northern Virginia is filled with guys with short right legs. Maybe AE could refurbish them?

Picked up a couple nice looking light weight Burberry suits that fit me very well. (Not especially brag worthy but I likes 'em.) One had a "UNITE!" union label, which surprised me: I didn't know that any Burberry suits were made in the U.S. Anyone know more about who makes/made Burberry suits?

5. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior member

Some recent shoe finds:

Ferragamo bit loafers (size 8.5 D, available):

[​IMG]

Mezlan exotic bluchers--can someone tell me what they are? (size 10 M, available):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gucci vintage bit loafers--sadly the toe area is quite worn down (size 42 M, available):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bally bit loafers (size 8.5 M, available):

[​IMG]

Alden for private label captoe balmorals--I can't make out the label, but they look like Aldens to me (size 7.5 D, available):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. eazye

eazye Senior member

You might as well just pm me the pics and measurements. :facepalm: No, seriously.

Just two small things today, skinny Viyella black watch tie and a cool cashmere scarf.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. thriftydood

Hickey Freeman makes US-made Burberry suits and sportcoats.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

It's every ounce of my energy to resist that sweet, sweet cashmere 42R houndstooth. So I shall just have to assume everything you post tonight will be made in China.

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Of course, it is all China week for me.

Actually someone donated a shit-ton of 50's vintage stuff (1949-1962 according to the union tags).... Mostly from Saks. My fave being a solid dark red (darker than true red but lighter than burgundy) tweed. I told my wife I needed help and wasn't going thrifting for a while....but of course I had to check to see if there was anything good. [​IMG]

10. troika

troika Senior member

Are you sure they are exotic? They just look like embossed leather to make it looks woven/exotic. Do they have any clues on the insole?
    Some things from the weekend real quick

Unavailable: RLPL, ?, Piattelli, BB Makers X3, BB Silver label
    [​IMG]

BTW is this the right Piattelli?
    [​IMG]

Also does anyone recognize this tag? The main tag is long gone, but it's a nice tie
    [​IMG]

Unavailable: Stuff for me -
    Facconable 5 pocket chinos, Massimo Dutti for kicks, Polo script label
    [​IMG]

Unavailable: Something nice for a trading partner
    [​IMG]

Unavailable: Something nice for my secret santa (I know a lot of you have already sent yours out, but I haven't really found anything until just now)
    Zegna soft unlined/unstructured khaki sport coat. Pick stitching errywhur.
    [​IMG]

AVAILABLE: Khaki herringbone Sulka. Size M
    [​IMG]

11. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    ChetBakerSings, that tweed polo coat? Wow. If only I were three sizes bigger. That is a very nice piece.

12. suited

suited Senior member

I have only thrifted in Miami one time (unsuccessfully), so can't really help you there. Get a route and go as often as you can for 2 months. If you go frequently, you will be able to determine which spots are worth your time and which are not. When I went to Miami I had a map of all the spots I was going to check out, and eliminated quite a few because they were in absolutely horrible neighborhoods where I didn't feel safe shopping (and I have a CCW). Some here may disagree, but I wouldn't waste your time in those neighborhoods - but I know a lot of people here have found gems in bad areas. Find those places that produce stuff on somewhat of a regular basis during that 2 month period and go there as often as possible. IMO you're better off doing that as opposed to going to more shops less often.

13. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

No one wears ties in Miami. That wouldnt be cool

[​IMG]

14. JhwkMac

JhwkMac Senior member

Thanks for the tip. I've looked in coral gable area but couldn't find many thrift stores in the area. Thinking of trying up near aventura area. Those are the only two neighborhoods I know in the area that can be considered 'old money' type places

15. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Ahh, I get it. It's like saying, "Bro, do you even thrift?"

16. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

+1 for CWL.

Some bad neighborhoods have been good for me, because the places don't know name brands well. A pair of Oxxford pants were 1.99 because they were green while a sean john suit was 99 bucks. Polo shirt of any quality.. 8 bucks or more. Kiton cashmere sportcoat, 5.99.

17. troika

troika Senior member

[​IMG]

18. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

I like it. This variation has lots of possibilities in this thread. Someone make a meme. Brian, I am looking at you after that cart .gif was fantastic.

19. thriftydood

Thanks for your reply, you might be right. I can't really tell what exotics look like, I just know that Mezlan does a lot of exotics, and the shoes looked like they might be. I'll check out the insoles tonight.

Btw, I think that the Piatelli label you are looking for is this (neither auction is mine):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320899763375
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390503925907

I don't think that Piatelli has any flip/trade value, so I'd just buy it if I'd wear it myself.

Quote:

20. catside

catside Senior member

You made me do this.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.