Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grendel

grendel Senior member

Make an ammo bag?

2. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I agree, and it is completely misleading. I mainly just wanted to bring this up with him in the hope that he looks at things carefully next time before listing them, or that he doesn't take his "jobber" at his word. I'll take the $10, which covered shipping, and keep the jacket. I just hope tailoring doesn't cost a ton.

I'll leave positive feedback, something like, "I really like the jacket, but it was advertised as NWOT and is definitely used. Seller partial refund granted when I brought this up."

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

4. chiron

chiron Senior member

After selling a few items the past month on Ebay, I wanted to know what my real profit was. Basically, so I can train myself to buy items that generate the most return on investment . How many shirts or SC do I need to pick up on a trip to break even? Or by spending a tank of gas on thrifting today what is my real profit? I do factor in labor costs, as I can be saving gas/time/energy by doing things more financially rewarding. Now, I'm not math whiz by any stretch of the imagination. But, here is what i have come up with after getting ideas from (http://www.newlifeauctions.com/calc.html) .

Here are my calculations , please feel free do do your own.

Sale Price :

( - ) Minus

Cost of shirt :
    (plus tax)

Listing labor:
    (time to take pics, wash shirt or dry clean ect...)

Ebay /PayPal fee :
    Please add the .49 cent fee if you charge for shipping.
    (http://www.newlifeauctions.com/calc.html)

Cost of Shipping :
    (tape / driving to post office ect... )

Cost of Gas to get shirt:
    (can be divide by number of items purchased at a particular trip)

PROFIT :

So, selling on ebay an item acquired for 5-6$ and selling it at the 20$ price point is not profitable at all.

Items acquired for less then 2$ are always profitable if sold for around 10$ < .

I factor about 10$ per hour for my labor ... its a hobby. So, taking a pic of a shirt and listing it costs me about 4$.

Thoughts...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

5. ocooney

ocooney Senior member

Picked up this 6x2 DB (tentatively dibbed) but there were several other Scabal coats. I know the fabric, but not the MTM line (made in Germany) and online info is spotty. Anyone have any notion of the quality?

[​IMG]

And picked this coat for myself...anybody know the label? No mfg tag and the only other lable simply stated 100% Bamboo

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    O

6. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Does this exchange we had before I bought the jacket complicate things at all?

Me:
    If you could get it out Monday, that would be great, as it will likely have to go to the tailor/drycleaner (or is it really NWOT?) before a shindig next Wednesday.

Him:
    We'll ship today assuming it's paid for today. It is new but may be a little musty since it's been in storage. May just need a little fresh air.

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

8. concealed

concealed Senior member

I can understand where you are coming from, and eBay calls me a power-seller, ~$2000 in revenue for the past 6 months. I think this issue struck a cord with me because the New Without Tags is a pet peeve of mine. Many people shopping on the bay, type "item/brand" + "new" and it populates the "new without tags" listings in their results. It is extremely misleading if the item has spots and is bad for the overall market if buyers expect something in new condition, and then are just forced to accept a $10 refund as compensation. They may not trust the website and curtail buying things from there, and that hurts me and you.

I am not saying that you should leave bad feedback without trying to work something out, but ATLJon is clearly less than 100% satisfied, and I feel that deserves appropriate feedback, if nothing else as warning to others take a closer look at this guy's auctions.

9. concealed

concealed Senior member

Since I have cluttered up the thread with unrelated nonsense, I am going to give you all a quick tip:

At 10:55/11 AM on Supremenewyork.com/shop/ they are going to drop an ugly pair of sneakers, they will charge you $150. The website will become overloaded, and possibly crash, but you are going to do your best to check out with a pair of these hideous Nike sneakers. Then you are going to go to ebay and list them with a $400 buy it now price and count your cash.

http://www.supremenewyork.com/news
    http://www.ebay.com/csc/Mens-Shoes-/93427/i.html?_nkw=nike+supreme+sb+preorder&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supreme-x-N...9312804?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item19d34e65a4

10. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I live in the neighborhood and hundreds of people have been sleeping on the sidewalk since SUNDAY to be in line for the Supreme kicks to drop. Every season, it gets more insane.

11. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ That sounds about right. When I do my own calculations, I don't factor in my own time per se because this is a hobby for me. I don't factor in gasoline because I take public transportation - a monthly T pass costs $70, but it's a recurrent monthly expense that I would incur regardless AND it's an existing tax write off in MA anyway. Also, I take into account the occasional shipping shortfalls and overages.

I really haven't been able to make it out to the thrifts lately, but here are a couple of highlights from one trip earlier this week and from my OKC / Dallas visit over the 4th of July (both are UNAVAILABLE):

[​IMG]

^^^ Andover Shop 100% Cashmere navy blue top coat approximately 38 S.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^^ PRL bleeding Indian madras waistcoat with genuine smoke gray MOPs (it's madras front AND back) M.

12. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

^^^^^

That top coat is awesome.

13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I dont understand why they even have the NWOT designation. It's largely dishonest and some guessing that the item looks new. I only list thrift finds as NWT or pre-owned, regardless of condition.

14. concealed

concealed Senior member

instasold out on the website, but I was able to score a pair, hope someone else did too!

15. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

I hate you. I woke up at 6 over here for no reason. What size did you get?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.