The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

What do you guys do about ties without keepers? Automatic pass?

2. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

A few ties this evening.

[​IMG]
    Any CA people know this store? Not sure who'd they have make their ties.

[​IMG]

Unlabeled Ancient Madder - Can anyone ID?

[​IMG]

Didn't kop (orphan). Is this the good stuff?

[​IMG]

Tie bar? Sprezzatura?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
  3. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

Insanely nice Matsuda Nicole sport coat with 5 button surgeons cuffs... :)

Cantebury All Blacks rugby shirt... left behind a pair of PRL seersucker shorts size 34 sadly...

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow - really? I've always thought they did pretty good. One of my favorite Japanese denim makers. I always make sure to grab a pair or three when I'm in Tokyo. I guess it's all dependent on styling/age too. I'm guessing these were older looking "dad jeans"?

rayxlui - Crazy find on those Louboutins! My wife still thanks me for the pair I snagged her a year or so ago.

Just a couple things today. Hadn't had a week this dry in months.

- Recent French Blue Brioni for Neiman Marcus spread collar dress shirt. 16.5 (currently undergoing the collar stain removal process)

- Canali pinstripe suit. Recent. Black w/ blue and rust colored pinstripes. Super 130s. 3 btn. Side vented. Tagged Eu 56 R. Fits like a 44 Short/Reg Available

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Measurements:

Chest (pit to pit): 23"
    Shoulders (seam to seam): 19 1/2"
    Sleeves (shoulder seam to cuff): 24 1/2" with 1" to let out
    Length (TOC): 33 1/2"

Waist: 19" with 2 1/2" to let out
    Inseam: 28 1/2" with 1" to let out
    Cuffs: 1 1/2"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

I suspect I can arrange for that to make its way onto youtube...

6. Guitar Preacher

Guitar Preacher Senior member

Ebay guys. These will be at a local auction tomorrow and I'm gonna try and pick one up. Do mannequins come in different chest sizes? Is there a size you guys who use one prefer or do you just use pins?
    [​IMG]

7. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Not really, I just did a quick completed listing search for the brand while I was in the changeroom and didn't like what came up. However doing it from my computer reveals slightly different results.

8. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Fairly odd/random stuff today. All available (except the Graham, for you few tasteless bastards considering it).

Eb$$$$$$y curren$$$$$y. This one is particularly dreadful with embroidered stripes and "pleats" on the front (that's the best way I can explain it).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The moment I picked this one up I could tell it was something quality - functional cuffs, side vented, hand sewn lapel...probably slightly dated styling, but the pattern is awesome and it's a great piece. If it were longer I'd definitely be rocking it. Apparently these guys were off-row, but were very well respected in their heyday and were bought out by another well-respected Savile Row Tailor at the time (Welsh & Jeffries). Fascinating stuff. I love this kind of shit, reading the stories behind the shops and their histories: http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2009/05/my-50-year-old-black-tie.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Always pass on their stuff, but this is NOS and a rad pattern. H. Freeman & Sons houndstooth glen plaid pattern with gold overcheck. Natural shoulder, single vented, NOS with tags.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Buttons look like an SC to me, but the label has a pant waist measurement so might be an orphan. Oh well, rockable as an SC. Ridiculously recent...as in, less than a year old (tagged Spring 2011)...'ve never even seen this Brooks label before. In line with Brooks' recent movement toward made-abroad shit (even for mainline). Really lightweight though and probably a good summer jacket. Small snag on the sleeve though. [​IMG]

EDIT: Woops, just over a year old. I PROMISE I KNOW MY SEASONS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Pretty sweet nonetheless. Couldn't imagine wearing that as a suit. Nice finds!

10. Mister Squishy

Mister Squishy Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found some ties this week. Lauren (green label, but I love the glen), Lands End knit, Pendleton wool, & a fun "snail mail" motif from the Tie Bar. They had dozens of these, probably donated as seconds because their warehouse is nearby. Hit me up if you'd really like me to grab you one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left this behind since I knew nothing about it. Chester Barrie for Harrods - 40R. Worth anything to anyone? I could grab this as well.

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Not sure where my "multi" button went, but here goes (from memory):

MattR: Thanks! My company sprang for a hotel room, so I'm set.

Thanks to newly-encumbered Sam Smith for hooking me up with great restaurant recos. After I ate where I was, I went to Mac's. I believe it's what you'd call "life altering." I'd had BBQ before, but this was better. Just wish I'd gone there first.

Dig: Yeah, the Paul & Shark is going to make for great casual wear. The Zanella isn't my speed, so I'll offer it up to anyone interested, free of charge, of course (it's kind of a gray on black plaid; pics to come on the trading thread).

Now for what I did for the 3 hours before dinner:
    [​IMG]

And the details:
    First, around the horn on the pic above (clockwise):
    Several silk squares, hand rolled, unknown maker (though one is branded Saks) plus a cotton knit tie in bright red and a linen PS.
    Two shirts not so brag-worthy for my dry cleaner who likes it LOUD
    Burberry black label (more on this later)
    PRL Made in Italy suede tassel loafs (ditto)
    Chester Barrie gray pinstripe, single vent, flat front trousers, real buttons (FIVE at the sleeve cuff) :slayer:
    OK, so pics are a bit out of order, but PRL shoes are 9D. Chester Barrie is ~38ish reg (20 pit, 17 shoulder, 35 waist BUT it needs to be taken in because there's a small split in the seat right near the seam) x 29 inseam with 3 to let.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This little gem was a bit of a gamble. Likely an orphan. And I can't determine what material it is because the tag is Japanese. But it feels like raincoat. There's also a chance it's a knockoff, but I doubt it because of the surgeon cuffs, the Japanese writing and a number of other details. Cut is super mod (ridiculously short, skinny lapels). Tagged M, fits like a 38S (20 pit, 17 shoulders, 27.5 length, 22ish arms). It cost me a pretty penny, but I took a gamble. What's the word - good gamble?
    [​IMG]

That green PS is not nearly as hideous as it looks in the pic. Really. I swear.

EDIT: Passed on Barbera shirt because it was overpriced and sheened, a Canali shirt because it was overpriced, a BB purple label that was very nice AND had purple knot links in the cuffs because it was overpriced AND no pearl buttons and a few other nice items because ... you get the idea. VERY NEARLY had an item I've been looking for for a while: Seersucker suit, double vent, flat front trousers BUT it was noname brand AND was one size too small. :fu:

12. grendel

grendel Senior member

[​IMG]

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Where was it made, Chester Barrie is a Savile Row tailor, usually pretty good stuff.

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

So confusing you had to double quote it.

But I've heard of Ralph Lauren :teach:

No one knows this Chester Barrie fool.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This one time (in band camp), I was stuck in Charlotte on the way back from Barbados. There was a Budweiser bar there and I got absolutely trashed and was talking to strangers all night. good times.

I laughed audibly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.