1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Not thrift store but found a little something today. Unavailable for now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

Dudes, have a shitload of stuff that has been coming up lately that I'll need to post. Talking multiple Isaias, sweet Zegnas, etc. But I picked up this piece today and had to get some pics up. Neil Barrett made in Italy coat that I haven't quite figured out yet. Has some weird shit going on like I've never seen before. [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Weird straps on the liner. [​IMG] On the left side is a whistle and the black tube is some type of pump thing that you used to blow shit up. Haven't found this coat anywhere online yet so will have to do some serious sleuthing. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I don't think Neil Barrett has shown up in this thread as far as I can recall. For those that don't know Barrett started out with Gucci then moved to Prada for a while in the 90's or so.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  3. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Depends, The older stuff is worth getting if it is for yourself--EB once made some of the finest outdoor gear on the planet, and that coat fishy found is completely sick. However, it tends to get no love on the secondary market because of what the brand has become. If you can kop for a good price and it is a staple, say a vintage down vest or a parka, then go ahead, but you will not likely realize a huge return. If it is something weird along the lines of down with a wool-blanket liner, it would probably be a tough flip, even though the quality is high. Along the same lines, I recently sold two down parkas, one by LL Bean of relatively recent vintage and made in Thailand--it said down, but you could feel feathers. The other was a vintage REI that was by far the superior coat. The Bean went for slightly less than $100. The REI, which had no country of origin tag, went for $60, and there is no way I would have sold it if it had fit--I would've sold my brown-label NF first. Some guy in Russia ended up with it, and I'm guessing he's laughing his ass all the way to the Kremlin.

4. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

LOL @ Cucinelli at TJ Maxx. I haven't even found anything that nice at a Marshall's, let alone the Beverly Hills Polo Club dump that is TJ's. Their "Compare at" pricing is ridiculously low.

DAT NEIL BARRETT [​IMG]

5. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Hella dibs.
    Dope, found one of those for $80.

6. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

7. Jowen

Jowen Senior member

God it has been way too long since I posted. I haven't had much time to thrift lately which really is bothering me...I used to work from home and now I don't. The silver lining is that my new job is a huge upgrade from my last job, so I really shouldn't be complaining, but man it is hard to cut back 90% on the addiction!!!

Anyway, what little time I have had to thrift yielded probably my favorite find to date: LL Bean Goatskin Leather, Shearling lined Bomber that fits me like a glove!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. catside

catside Senior member

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Nice! Sold the same one 2 weeks ago for $200+

10. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thanks, dudes. I vaguely knew that Rooster was a vtg brand and have seen some quality stuff by them over the years; none of it my style. This one is really nice. Pattern would be great for a square, or maybe I'll wear it under a sweater. Doubtful, though, so if you're a trad/ivy paisley kind of guy, get at me. I've got this one, an Aquascutum and a Rivetz of Boston -- all really nice paisleys that will just sit in my drawer gathering dust.

Dude, you're freaking killing it! I can't get into Maxx and Marshall's, other than the shoe outlets. Too much stuff to wade through. At thrifts, the good stuff shines based on condition and quality. At TJs, the crap is all NWT, and has been all pretty-fied. Hard to sort the wheat from the chaff. Plus, it's orders of magnitude more volume. Every time I go in, I lose interest.

11. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

This was my first time ever in a TJ Maxx - and this was pretty much the only thing that was worth picking up - a few RLBL pieces at $350+ and some Zegna maybe? The Cucinelli was sandwiched between two Joseph Abboud jackets at $250:slayer:

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It has been delivered.........

[​IMG]

13. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

LOLS. Cap, you remind me of my daughter.

14. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Not one TJ Maxx I've ever been in has had suits or sportcoats. Not so much as a Lauren green label. Where do they carry these things?

15. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I already gave my wife half of her Christmas presents. She doesn't know they were for Christmas, I told her they were "just because" gifts. Giving unexpected gifts is my favorite thing about Christmas.

Of course...I got her some more stuff after I gave her the original gifts.

16. mainy

mainy Senior member

ugh, hadn't got to thrift in like a week. luckily, apparently the stores waited for me. sorry for the crappy pics, oh well. including prices because i think it's interesting to see how things are priced in different places. sorry if this bothers you.

[​IMG]
    black canali pants, 4.99

[​IMG]
    rlpl tie, .75

[​IMG]
    2x mint condition skeet blankets/rg shirts. 1.98 and 2.98 respectively

[​IMG]
    moar! 9.99

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    4.50. i thought these were pretty sexy. looked like aldens before i picked them up, then realized they are vintage johnston and murphy made in usa. just as nice. 9.5 d.

[​IMG]
    frye boots. 9.99

[​IMG]
    pimptastic custom made blue / red check overcoat. .98 cents, yes, under one dollar

[​IMG]
    canali wool cashmere sportcoat. 9.99

[​IMG]
    polo suit made in usa. 7.99

[​IMG]
    hickey freeman madison suit. 42XL. 7.99

[​IMG]
    almost unworn 1960's gray herringbone overcoat. 8 bucks

[​IMG]
    prl made in usa flannel dual vent jacket. thought this was an orphan, but the pocket tag on these always lists pants size if it were a suit - must have been a sportcoat. $4.99

[​IMG]
    2x RLPL polo shirts, just about perfect. XL. $7.50 a pop

[​IMG]
    incotex. $4.99

[​IMG]
    valentini sport. $4.99

[​IMG]
    polo gray flannel. $4.99

[​IMG]
    mint zegna wool v-neck sweater. missing neck tag, but content tag is def zegna. ~4 bucks

17. Randy

Randy Senior member

That's exactly what I think every time somebody posts a TJ Maxx or Marshalls SC score: None of 'em that I've visited here in Utah carry suits or sport coats. I have picked up rather inexpensive Zegna and Pucci ties at TJ Maxx here however.

18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRADTASTIC-...SA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item484ba3b86d

is not

[​IMG]

19. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

Shoot me a PM when you list this one. Might just fit my sasquatch self.

20. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

Is a zilli tee shirt a good pick up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.