The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I thought you were supposed to be their leader now [​IMG]

AlanC: Shepherd Of The Trad

LOL

More warden than leader.

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Some may be, but those I have seen are half canvassed.

I'm pretty certain they're all half-canvassed, at least the current ones produced by Corneliani. The older, made in the U.S. ones were fully canvassed.

3. summej2

summej2 Senior member

I spent most of the week at a conference in Seattle and picked up a few things at various Value Village stores:

Robert Talbot tie with silk printed in England: $1
    Burberrys casual shirt: $1
    Zegna print tie: $4
    unused Trafalgar belt: $4

and, what I consider the pick-of-the-litter by far, Edward Green for Nordstrom cognac full-brougue bals for $15

(same as these http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...reen+nordstrom)

Overall I was pretty impressed with the thrifting, but most of the good stuff was private label for Nordstrom. Also, there wasn't much good in the way of suits or shirts, perhaps because Nordstrom didn't have private label deal with good shirtmakers or tailors.

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I spent most of the week at a conference in Seattle and picked up a few things at various Value Village stores:

Robert Talbot tie with silk printed in England: $1
    Burberrys casual shirt: $1
    Zegna print tie: $4
    unused Trafalgar belt: $4

and, what I consider the pick-of-the-litter by far, Edward Green for Nordstrom cognac full-brougue bals for $15

(same as these http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...reen+nordstrom)

Fantastic! [​IMG]

5. VMan

VMan Senior member

Wow, those EG's were a great way to spend $15!

6. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I didn't buy it...it was bespoke, so no size marked, but i would guess a 38s jacket and a very tiny waist, 28 or even less...if you're interested you can pm me and i will tell you the address of the thrift store, but i can't guarantee it'll still be there...
    This is interesting.

What was the pattern, and style?

7. summej2

summej2 Senior member

I didn't buy it...it was bespoke, so no size marked, but i would guess a 38s jacket and a very tiny waist, 28 or even less...if you're interested you can pm me and i will tell you the address of the thrift store, but i can't guarantee it'll still be there...

Thanks. PM sent, I've been out of town.

8. jagela

jagela Active Member

This is interesting.

What was the pattern, and style?

I went back there today to see if I could pick it up and pass it on to summej2, but I'm afraid it had gone. But from memory the fabric was a heavy worsted, quite stiff to the touch, probably why it seemed to have lasted so well. Cut was three button rolled to two, in a very dark grey with a faint pinstripe. The sleeve buttons were functional but not kissing. Shoulders were lightly padded, lapels were relatively slim. A very neat sixties cut with some suppression in the waist but nothing flamboyant. It's the only knize suit i have ever seen so I have no way of knowing if it is typical.

9. summej2

summej2 Senior member

I went back there today to see if I could pick it up and pass it on to summej2, but I'm afraid it had gone. But from memory the fabric was a heavy worsted, quite stiff to the touch, probably why it seemed to have lasted so well. Cut was three button rolled to two, in a very dark grey with a faint pinstripe. The sleeve buttons were functional but not kissing. Shoulders were lightly padded, lapels were relatively slim. A very neat sixties cut with some suppression in the waist but nothing flamboyant. It's the only knize suit i have ever seen so I have no way of knowing if it is typical.

If it weren't for the EG I picked up the other day I'd be disappointed, but I suppose one only finds so many good deals at one time...

That sounds like a fairly typical Knize suit, from the little I have seen.

LabelKing, are we the same size?

10. VMan

VMan Senior member

Passed up 6-7 Paul Stuart suits that were $30-$40 each due to the price, and the fact that some had little flaws/wear.

That thrift store is in the worst part of the city, but always seems to surprise me with some of the stuff I find. They charge like $4-9 for dress shirts, $10-15 for sweaters, $8-20 for sport coats, and $25-90 for suits. The thing is, it's the only thrift store that I go to where most everyone there is shopping because they can't afford anything else, as opposed to the Goodwills around here with parking lots filled with luxury cars and SUV's, and they charge the highest prices.

11. Aristocrat

Aristocrat Senior member

It's a sin for the entrepeanurs in Sweden that there is no store like that in Sweden.

I would kill to get stores like that nearby...

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

If it weren't for the EG I picked up the other day I'd be disappointed, but I suppose one only finds so many good deals at one time...

That sounds like a fairly typical Knize suit, from the little I have seen.

LabelKing, are we the same size?

That sounded like a nice Knize.

Summej2, I wear a 36 or ideally 34 with a 28 sized waist.

13. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

T&A shirt, BNWT, from eBay for $47. It's an old shirt but still in the original packaging.

14. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Years back, VALUE CITY used to carry Black Label Armani, '1881, Fendi, Ferre, many others. Most of these, were samples, or very small sizes, approaching sample. I bought everything I could use. Nobody else inside the store, could fit into these garments, nor did they care to try. My best buy was a tuxedo jacket and waistcoat . . . price tags, still in place: 2,500$. Five bucks. I got a wonderful little jacket too, in taupe, with some sleek zipper detail: 1,250$. Eight dollars. Many, many good buys on trousers.

15. summej2

summej2 Senior member

That sounded like a nice Knize.

Summej2, I wear a 36 or ideally 34 with a 28 sized waist.

Yes, it seems we are. It's a good thing we're on seperate coasts...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.