The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

2. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

No worries. And barrelntrigger is exactly right: Be careful about your back, because a large UHaul box stuffed with clothes is both heavy and unwieldy.

3. Randy

Randy Senior member

Drycleaners scenario... Found a nifty Polo Ralph Lauren windbreaker. Great condition. Great shape. Had it drycleaned. Upon returning home I see what can only be described as "extreme ring around the cuff" stains on BOTH arms. Nothing will remove these stains by the way — I've tried Oxyclean and soap, etc. A few questions: 1) Has anyone here ever seen drycleaning chemical induced damage like this? 2) Is there a way to remove such stains (or at least minimize them significantly)? 3) Should I expect a customer service let-down as well?

Randy

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Gonna clear 1000 hits on these, that's a first! [​IMG]

5. eazye

eazye Senior member

Just a couple things I picked up a few days ago. It's been pretty dry here as well, and I think it's starting to get to me as I haven't been out nearly as much as I used to. Could have been the triple digit temps last week too.
    HF LP super 120's Tasmanian. Custom made for the gent who's name is on the tag, glen plaid, 3 button, single vented. This is the most recent tag, correct? Available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Really cool PRL olive green with red and blue over check, ticket pocket, dual vented. Made in Canada (Samuelson? Anybody know?) Tentatively dibbed. Size 44
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's a picture of the trashed tag. Although the rest of the jacket is pristine, go figure.
    [​IMG]
    My favorite find of the last few days. Oak Street Bootmakers,made in the USA in my size, look to be unworn! Retail looks to be around $280. These will be replacing a pair of old LL Beans in the same style, that someone can have on the cheep. Let me know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hand rolled silk pocket square, wool knit tie and a PRL Italian Saddle leather belt, sz 32
    [​IMG]

6. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

Ebay rant coming ! ==> I sold something, and sent it off with Delivery Confirmation for tracking. You know, the normal deal. Then, the buyer said they never received the item and wanted the tracking number. Being on vacation I couldn't provide it quickly enough so they opened a case. I then supplied the tracking number for Ebay which said it was delivered to the buyer's PO box several days before. The buyer then states the PO lost it. Then they escalated the case and Ebay decided in the buyer's favor giving them a full refund. Now they have the item and the money (maybe). Sounds like a (scam) loophole to me. It's not my fault the PO lost it. (Maybe they didn't) Any advice on how to proceed? Thanks fellas !

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Weird,b/c i've had the post office supposedly lose something but if it says it was delivered online, ebay sides with the buyer 100%. Only way they can really stay in business as otherwise you are calling the post office (which ships most small items) a fraud and ecommerce would collapse. Something does not make sense. Also if you ship though the ebay checkout, the tracking number automatically appears both in ebay and paypal + you save a few pennies shipping though ebay so no downside.

What?? [​IMG] Are you implying the 2nd one, 10 years later was better??? [​IMG]

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Can you explain the reasoning for this? How could they get you twice?

What's the point of requiring delivery confirmation if they're going to arbitrarily decide whether an item has been delivered regardless of what the postal workers claim?

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I have had a few items delivered to the wrong P.O. box, only to be discovered later. I would try to get the number of that P.O. and call them. They usually have more detailed tracking info than what we can see online.

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

Those are awesome! I love my OSB navy suede trail oxfords.

11. 46n2

46n2 Senior member

What's the point of requiring delivery confirmation if they're going to arbitrarily decide whether an item has been delivered regardless of what the postal workers claim?

Exactly. And you can't argue with them. They just say "it's been delivered" . Yeah well it wasn't delivered to the right place. To which they say "It's been delivered".

12. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

This. Tell him they're from a sample sale and to otherwise go pound sand.

13. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

This is killing me....when I was still buying diapers for the kids I partook in the crazy drug store deals going on at the time. In a typical Sunday I could bring home $500 of goods for $10 OOP. One of the common items where you actually made money was excedrin....no joke, I had 100 bottles stockpiled until we donated, gave them away, threw a few out, etc. I checked the old storage shelves to find only a few Excedrin PM....perhaps I can double up the dosage and drown my sorrow in a drug-induced slumber this evening. At eBay market value I probably had $2000 sitting on the shelves....oh well, at least everyone I work with has been headache free for the past 2 years!

14. eazye

eazye Senior member

Just took them out for a spin, and they are now the most comfortable shoes I own! Not bad for $5. :slayer:

15. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

[​IMG]

SERIOUSLY? NEW osb's IN MY SIZE? right after i spent $280 on their trail oxfords in 9.5D (everything i read said to size down by half or go with your alden barrie size, which meant 9.5) and they ended up being too small? :fu:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.