The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Wow, this is the biggest thread derail in a while. I haven't found anything at the thrifts this week anyway....so why not. I use my guns for hunting only. I eat what I hunt. Except when I need to kill an opossum which is bugging our cats.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. catside

catside Senior member

Boys, this is a ridiculous discussion. We will never agree on a subject like this. Please drop the gun discussion and stop, for Odin's sake, STOP mentioning your freaking guns in a thrifting thread unless you bought them from a freaking goodwill for 5 bucks.

3. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Not to mention all those posts are too long to read. I prefer picture books... this thread is generally good for that.

4. frenchytoo

frenchytoo Senior member

also a set of mint condition 1972 SOLAIR CHAIR DESIGNED BY FABIANO & PANZINI.

[​IMG]

also do any of you guys watch the show barter Kings?
    im working on a deal right now where im trading up on a few items on CL,stay tuned

5. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

I know I am far too new here and not making friends with my stance but I think you need to look at it from a different perspective.

Allowing people to carry firearms serves two purposes.
    1. They can protect themselves when others like police cannot.
    2. They act as a deterrent to would be criminals.

1. Where do you get that a woman who pulls a firearm is more likely to end up dead? Any statistics or studies that women who carry and get attacked die more often than protect themselves? Or did you just make that up? Maces and Stun Guns require close range contact. At that point a knife is more effective tool. I think Tasers are not a terrible idea but there are two problems. A) you still need a concealed permit to carry one and B) you only get one shot. If you miss with the taser or the attacker has thick clothing...game over. I wouldn't want to carry a gun with one bullet much less rely on two metal prongs to both stick through clothing. Still, they are better than nothing.

2. Put yourself into a criminals perspective. If you live in California, New York, or Chicago (three very gun regulated states) and you want to rob someone, the chances of that person carrying something to protect themselves are quite slim. Now put yourself in Texas, Florida, or Tennessee. Are you going to second guess that choice when one in seventeen are carrying? I do would not like my odds. When you KNOW the other person can't protect themselves, it makes them an easier target.

While your car argument was not toward me, I just want to mention that guns serve a very valuable purpose.

Here are some recent examples.
    http://hamptonroads.com/2012/06/wouldbe-robber-shot-clerk-sentenced-va-beach
    http://www.firstcoastnews.com/rss/article/261399/3/Armed-robbery-suspect-shot-by-store-patron
    http://www.usatoday.com/USCP/PNI/Valley & State/2012-06-23-PNI0623met-shooting-abrkPNIBrd_ST_U.htm
    http://www.gainesville.com/article/...le=Owner-of-gold-store-shoots-alleged-robber-

I agree guns should not exist. Now that they do, we cannot "ban" them. It is physically impossible to do. Because they cannot actually eliminate them, legislating them only affects the people who already follow the laws. A bank says "no guns." Only the lawful carrier will walk to put the firearm in their vehicle. I don't want to be stuck with a taser when an attacker has a .45. My life and those I care about are worth the responsibility I have when I carry.

This image is like [​IMG] but here it is:
    [​IMG]

6. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

My only serious point is that a person should be able to make decisions for themselves. I don't care what you believe, but don't force me to accept it.

I'm out.

7. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Just discovered that show last week, love it.

8. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

This is my rifle, this is my gun, this is for fighting, this is for fun.

Who remembers the routine while this song is sung?

Plus 1, epic argument fails but nonetheless moderately interesting thread derail.

9. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

JP, OMG...look what we started...[​IMG]

OK, now back to clothes. Blah blah blah. [​IMG]

10. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

11. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

Too cool! Are they metal?

13. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

The people who trade with the guys on barter kings are total morons.

And on topic, today's thrifts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. chiron

chiron Senior member

15. eazye

eazye Senior member

330ck, I love ya man, gun violence in Chicago is no joke, Milwaukee is even worse per capita. Still, I feel that at the very least, if handguns were illegal we would have far fewer accidental shootings involving children and passers by - shot over petty disputes of miniscule amounts of drugs or money. Based purely on the percentage of the population in many urban areas - the number of residents who are born into circumstances wherein most factors wage against them ever attaining a 5th grade education or even learning how to read - odds are that career prospects outside of slangin rocks are slim. It is a heart breaking cycle to say the least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.