Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

Apparently, it's Pal Zileri's MTM line.

2. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I know better than to get into these discussions. Nonetheless...

I watched a murder trial a couple weeks ago. The defendant was a moron. As part of a misguided July 4 celebration, he fired an AK-47 into an apartment building from a football field away. The bullet tore through the chest of a college student--a complete stranger--who was inside, sitting on a couch, watching a movie with some friends. A nice, smart kid, by all accounts, never had so much as a traffic ticket. By all indications, he was going to make something of himself. The jury was out for a little more than an hour, which wasn't surprising, given that prosecutors had to prove only that the defendant fired into a building that he knew or should have known was occupied--that's all it takes to get a first-degree murder conviction.

What happened immediately after the verdict was delivered is something, I think, that should be witnessed by every pry-it-from-my-cold-dead-fingers Second Amendment activist. The victim's family completely, totally lost it, crying, nearly screaming, in grief. Mom collapsed in the hallway outside the courtroom, barely able to breathe. And all anyone could do was watch, because there was nothing to say, no way in the world to soothe that kind of pain. They'll get to go through the whole thing, which I'm sure re-live every single day, in a couple months when sentencing is scheduled. And this kind of thing is a regular occurrence in this country because there is no way to keep firearms away from morons. It is, after all, their constitutional right to be morons and to own guns.

I would submit that the tragedy endemic in a nation where guns are so prolific far, far outweighs anyone's right to keep and bear. With guns for sale on craigslist, in pawnshops, online and virtually anywhere else you care to look, there is no way to prevent this kind of tragedy, and the tragedy that comes when kids find guns left unsecured by morons, and the tragedy that come when morons mix guns and booze, and the tragedy that comes when the frightened homeowner moronically fires into the dark at a supposed burglar that turns out to be a loved one. Look around at the morons you encounter every day. Each one of them could be packing, and that's frightening.

When we can figure out how to eliminate morons, maybe we can have guns. But until then, they should all be banned, period. That is, of course, in a perfect world--it'll never happen in this country. But folks in nations that have figured out that allowing anyone and everyone to own guns have lower crime rates and less tragedy than the United States. That's a fact, you can look it up, and all the NRA propaganda in the world can't change it.

3. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Those are among the coolest thrifted shoes I have ever seen.

4. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

None of this stuff looks familiar, so I think I can happily say welcome to the habit.

I assume you're in Miami-Dade county?

5. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

If you are referring to my post, all I can say is that we have little violent crime. Yes, we have break-ins, but the vast majority occur while the occupants are away from the home. It's honestly a rare occurrence that a person would utilize a firearm in the home, rare even for police to need one (though it occasionally happens) and even rarer for the military to need their rifles (it's a neutral country).

^I can agree that shooting is a fun sport and great stress reliever.

Su misura means "to customize" and if you see it on any label it should indicate that a suit/sport coat was a made to measure as Acme said.

6. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

I really like what you have to say, for the most part. However, that is the extreme of stupidity (and illegal). Anyone who knowingly shoots any rounds into the air deserves to have the rounds fall straight down onto their head. It is a shame idiots like these with weapons make the rest of "us" look badly.

I am a law student and I understand most of the do's and don'ts with firearms. In fact, I signed that I did know the laws regarding firearm use when I received my license to carry. Just because an idiot decides to drive his car or motorcycle 120 miles an hour does not mean we should ban all vehicles. What we should do, is prevent those idiots from procreating. The problem is not that our country is so proud to have the second amendment, it is that the bad guys can use the weapons to do damage. It is no coinicidence the lower rates of armed crimes are higher in areas with high gun regulation.

I am not extremely pro gun. I am totally okay with no guns, as long as no one else gets them either. Cant guarantee they won't have them? I am carrying. I do not agree with what what the NRA or any other extremist gun group claims the second amendment means. Here is a hilarious video from SNL on 2A if you have never seen it.

7. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

By this same logic, we should ban cars. It's even easier for any idiot to attain a car and be reckless and do severe/fatal physical damage to someone else.

Hell, we should ban anything that can be used as weapon. We should all wear government-mandated bubble suits, with prescribed feeding tubes attached so we won't have to make any decision for ourselves.

Look what happened when the US banned alcohol. It put it into the hands of the criminal element and gave them another way to make exorbitant amounts of money. Now look at recreational drugs. Do you think the Mexican drug cartels would have half the power they do if America legalized marijuana use? Let alone the use of any other natural hallucinogenic drug.

Banning is not the answer to anything. It is absolutely idiotic. It keeps the honest people from doing it, but doesn't affect the ones that shouldn't have access to it in the first place and gives them the upper hand. Education and morality are the answer.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Yes, very true. Outright is unquestionably awesome, and I still thank you every day for turning me onto it. I should have mentioned this, but the reason I provided the alternative is I had a little trouble loading my history into Outright. I signed up for it a few months into the year, and was concerned I wasn't seeing the full picture. I've solved that now, but the point was to provide an alternative for someone looking for a "quick fix" (which, like most quick fixes, would of course be more trouble in the long run).

9. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Awesome! Thanks for all of the information you all. [​IMG]. I still have lots to learn and you guys are awesome. I hope to be able to contribute one day as much as I lurk and absorb.

I am originally from Broward (Hollywood Area in particular). I now reside in Largo/Clearwater area while I attend school down in Gulfport. I still travel semi-weekly to broward because my GF is still there in Ft. Lauderdale.

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yeah, I had the same issues at first. I noticed you have to update the accounts when you log in, and sometimes it takes a few minutes. I think they are still working the kinks out.

11. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

I get a great laugh every time I enter a building with a "No Guns" sign. A) unless the building is one of the prohibited places listed in the statute, the sign has no legal consequence. B) Do they actually think Criminals are going to see the sign and go "You know, I guess I can't rob that bank anymore, they don't allow guns in there."

12. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Difference is, cars can and do serve a useful purpose. Not so with guns. Unless, you want to count killing people a useful purpose. Essentially, it boils down to a cost/benefit ratio. The cost of guns in American society far outweighs the benefit, and that's not a matter of opinion--there is no evidence whatsoever that loosening of gun-control laws has resulted in less crime and safer streets. Indeed, it's much easier to make the opposite argument. Boiled down, the more guns there are, the more they get used, and much of that use is for ill. And I hope all these folks who talk about keeping guns in their nightstands secure these firearms when kids visit. Otherwise, you're asking for something bad to happen.

Education and morality are the answer? Hardly. You cannot educate a moron. It is impossible. And just one moron with one gun can change an awful lot of lives for the worse, and forever.

Bottom line, no one needs a gun. Not so with cars. We need to get to work, we need pizzas delivered, we need, in short, to get from Point A to Point B, and we can show that motor vehicles tend to do more good than harm. But no one needs a .38 on their nightstand. If it were otherwise, then folks in Japan and England and any other number of nations with cars would also allow guns, but they do not. Because they are, sad to say, just smarter than us in a lot of ways.

Finally, you say that it is easier for someone to obtain a car than a gun. I don't know where you live, but that's not true where I live. A gun costs a lot less than a car. The licensing requirements to own a gun are a lot less restrictive than the licensing requirements to own and operate a motor vehicle. There are a lot of cops on patrol watching how folks operate cars; by contrast, gun tragedies perpetrated by morons generally come with no warning or chance of intervention. And you need insurance to drive a car, at least where I live. Any idiot can own a gun with no insurance whatsoever.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012

13. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Stetson law, eh? Nice.

If you ever find yourself in Palm Beach County wanting to thrift, hit me up. I'll show you the good spots and we can hit up the two best stores separately to get a leg up on the local flippers.

14. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Again, not that I'm necessarily for or against gun ownership/carrying, but at the very least shouldn't you respect the business owner's request?

If you received an invitation to a party or wedding that specifically stated that children were not to be included, would you still bring your kids? I think of that as being a common courtesy.

Google has informed me that those signs, in some states such as missouri, do have legal repercussions.

15. Crazy-Leprechaun

Crazy-Leprechaun Member

Found a Ralph Lauren Purple label light blue shirt for 13 bucks and a Fendi tie for 18 at a new consignment shop by me. Purple label is has never been in my price range so I was pretty psyched to find it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.