The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

I guess it depends what you want to portray in the photo.... with ebay giving you 12 free photos now it opens up a lot more options for details... when trading watches a small homemade lightbox worked wonders.... for coats, I like early morning light from the east streaming through a glass door... acts like a spotlight and creates natural background shade... maybe a little arty farty...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  2. troika

troika Senior member

Just went to their retail store in SF on Saturday. Seems to be pretty good stuff.

3. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Perse makes high-end casual basics. Don't know what the resale is on them, but the price point at retail is pretty high. They're sort of a $50 white t-shirt brand. More women's than men's-focused.

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

This is my "thrifted" light booth. It's a CVS (color viewing station) used by a graphics company to check test plots and photos. It uses a special 2x4 troffer fixture with six 5000K "Daylight fluorescent lamps. The 2x4 troffer fixture costs about $1000 and the lamps are roughly $60 a piece. I have no idea what the stand would cost. The desk surface is large enough for a 36"x 48" print with room around the edges.

The same buddy from my previous "shot gun" story worked for the company who owned this and they were giving it away for FREE. Score!! I love it, although, at 4'x5' and 8' tall it does take up a considerable amount of space in my office.

For those of you looking for lighting solutions, try out the 5000K compact flourescent bulbs. They will likely give you a better result than the standard CFL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

Yes, that's the game now. Some people get their kicks buying lottery tickets... The thrill for me is playing find the pants.

Lows: going into a newly opened GW near my house, finding half a dozen decent jackets, but not one of the pants is present. Now I know when they open a new store they just stock it with stale product from the other locations.

Highs: Went to the GW closest to my house a couple months ago, found half a dozen Paul Stuart jackets on the racks. Searched the pants aisle, and found about twice as many pairs of pants as I needed to go with the jackets.

6. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

Congratulations!

7. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Is there an easy way to tell how much payment you have received in Paypal? A 1099, I do not want.

Also bummed that the size medium shirt I bought myself last night has a 24" p2p... wtf

8. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

Speaking of orphans, for basic colors and shit we should start an pants stockpile. That way people know if they find the pants to your suit, and or it will be good for basics at least... Maybe this is nuts, but it sounds like it could work better than the current system, which is just being SOL

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

You don't need anything that complicated. I bounce a flash off the ceiling / wall behind / to the side of the camera and it gives a nice chiaroscuro while sufficiently lighting the whole mannequin. Lighting with a flash is really very easy once you get used to it.

10. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

I hate guns, and I find their presence in our society to be a pervasively bad thing. The "bad world" syndrome is one of the more puzzling things I can think of.

Haha, anyway...for lighting, I use a light tent. I get the best results when I place it outside and hit it with a handful of 250 watt lamps placed around the item (3 point, like YA p[osted above). I'm constrained in terms of available camera/lenses (DLSR died a couple weeks) ago, so the results aren't perfect....but adequate, I think. Example:

[​IMG]

11. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I have about 10 guns in the collection at this point and have a good friend who works at the local gun club so I get a good amount of time doing target practice. I keep a .45 cal Sig Sauer in the bedside table and the rest are in the gun safe in the closet.

There was a large conversation about this awhile ago and a wide variety of opinions. To each their own.

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

No extra larges here who want a spiffy linen L/S shirt?

Okay.

Found a few fun things for Dig yesterday as well.

[​IMG]

13. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

14. tben

tben Senior member

I got the joke...

However, Astor and Black locations: http://image.mapmuse.com/images/maps/map-of-astor-and-black-locations.png

I like their t-shirts. You can sometimes pick them up for significantly reduced prices on the TJ Maxx clearance rack.

15. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I guess that if people at thrift stores knew that so many of you guys are carrying, they'd think twice about crowding your racks on half price day much less reaching into your basket to kop your shizz when your back is turned. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

"You're on the wrong rack.​

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.