• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so where do you guys get your bargains from? I fear there's just a different mentality in the US which makes it much easier to find things. We have a few small-ish second-hand stores (that's a thrift store, right?), but they either sell crap or focus on high-end couture and therefore know how to price. What about flea market and such?

I get my bargains from thrift stores, which are second-hand stores and insofar as clothing goes the vast majority in The States have not (yet) caught on that they occasionally have some valuable offerings. Many have volunteer experts who evaluate something the staff puts aside as it "might be something" but most have not started doing this with clothing...and again I say "yet". Sheer volume prevents them from doing so, I think, and hope they have the mindset of "an occasional treasure will keep them coming back". We have other second-hand stores - consignment shops and the like but I have yet to step foot in one. A few chain stores that sell new items with big markdowns for odd sized items that didn't sell in-season (usually very big or very small sizes), and with patience one may find something. Auctions, estate sales, an infrequent moving sale. I've been meaning to check out church bazaars in affluent areas, just to see what they might have - lots of upper class religious folks in my area. Craigslist for non-clothing items - too many counterfeits on CL for clothes. I go to the flea market only when I need bungee cords, a blunt hatchet, zip-ties, or a fake Movado that shows the correct time twice a day.

Jpmorris

Reaction score
Well I hate to be the one to tell you this man, but you fucked up in a major way. A MAJOR ******* way....

You included a Pinterest button on one but not on the other. Bam. There that **** is, plain, hard, stone-cold truth. It's only because I love you that I say this man, only.

Ok, this isn't really the place, but WTF is pinterest, i know i looked once, and have yet to get a single succinct answer to that question. Also, should it be included in listings? The one with the button has the far superior number of views and watchers. BTW In my opinion, the picture is better on one than the other, and I personally happen to think almost all of the shirts listed in the high interest listing are more interesting that any in the first...
Also, the Gucci briefcase Beck sent me it entirely shout out worthy, that thing is ******* AWESOME! (Spoo, It doesn't look a lot different after the renovateur, but i'll shoot you a pic anyway
devil.gif

Also, I need some input from all the wize denizens of this thread, What is this leather? I thought shark initially, but Wes schooled me there. Wes has also suggested Bison, but the bison pics I pulled up don't quite look like that. I'd really like to have a solid idea of what im selling before I list these bad boys. Either way, these are the Edwin Clapp shoes I posted the other day, IF YOU SEE ANY SNAG THEM! They are ******* awesome, and seem to sell for very high prices.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I hate to be the one to tell you this man, but you fucked up in a major way. A MAJOR ******* way....

You included a Pinterest button on one but not on the other. Bam. There that **** is, plain, hard, stone-cold truth. It's only because I love you that I say this man, only.

I ******* laughed out loud for the first time today with that one. Christ. Thanks, I needed that.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, this isn't really the place, but WTF is pinterest, i know i looked once, and have yet to get a single succinct answer to that question. Also, should it be included in listings? The one with the button has the far superior number of views and watchers. BTW In my opinion, the picture is better on one than the other, and I personally happen to think almost all of the shirts listed in the high interest listing are more interesting that any in the first...

pinterest: good goddamn question. I looked at it too a while ago on someone's recommendation and couldn't make heads or tails of it. I quit Facebook 3 or 4 years ago (tho we all know that one does not simply "quit Facebook") and have no desire to get involved in anything else social-media related.

Apparently eBay adds a pinterest button to your listings now - I know I did not opt in or out of that when listing my crap.

Thank you for your feedback on my two listings.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
santa-fe_black.jpg

Damn spoiler is still coming in above, but anyway check out this closeup of bison leather...its pretty close, but it's hard to say.
Also, the Gucci briefcase Beck sent me it entirely shout out worthy, that thing is ******* AWESOME! (Spoo, It doesn't look a lot different after the renovateur, but i'll shoot you a pic anyway
devil.gif

Also, I need some input from all the wize denizens of this thread, What is this leather? I thought shark initially, but Wes schooled me there. Wes has also suggested Bison, but the bison pics I pulled up don't quite look like that. I'd really like to have a solid idea of what im selling before I list these bad boys. Either way, these are the Edwin Clapp shoes I posted the other day, IF YOU SEE ANY SNAG THEM! They are ******* awesome, and seem to sell for very high prices.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So you get all your stuff from thrift stores?

Mostly yes, but I am not impartial to consignment stores either.

highlifeman

Reaction score
These shoes are bad ass and I would be trying to squeeze my tiny feet into them if I didnt already have a pair thanks to highlifeman! Wore just this past weekend (repost thrift pic)

Thanks for the shoutout, Brian P- looking good!!

Hit a few stores today, pickings were a little slim but did pick up the following:

Normally wouldnt pick up something like this, but was a really cool fabric/pattern, and was in a small size so I grabbed in case anyone here ^^ might want it

Harris Tweed for Stafford, no tag size but appx 36ish- 16.5 shoulders, 18.5 pit to pit, 25 sleeve, 29 BOC

Pendleton Made in USA Blackwatch jacket shirt, size L, keeping for now

NWT Bill's Khakis shorts (32 W)

Salvatore Ferragamo Sport Coat, size 46 EU, Made in Italy, double vented
Shoulders- 18", Pit to Pit- 20", Sleeve 23.5 + appx. 1", BOC- 30"

Last edited:

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember a few hundred posts or so ago, there were a number of people interested in high quality short sleeve shirts. I've been looking for some for myself too, and today I found these:

Apparently someone around me does not like Zegna Su Misura. I found 4 short sleeve shirts (white, tan, light gray & black), all about 23 p2p = too big for me = all available.
(FYI - these are not polo/pique shirts, but s/s cotton dress shirts, made in Spain, thick MOP buttons)

Luckily I was able to grab a Su Misura all white dress shirt that does fit, as well as a white Zegna for Neiman Marcus with a p2p of 23 that does not.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Another day of firsts, been had Trafalgar limited edition braces from a regular haunt. Last place I ever thought I'd find something like these. Going through the ties and all the sudden I see leather sticking out from the end of the rack
nod[1].gif

1 set with marlins, another set with what looks like old-timey Hollywood scenes on them. Left two more pairs behind because they were beat. Half price day = out the door with them for under $5 total and me grinning like a little schoolgirl.

Pics tomorrowish.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is nicer than I imagined it would be, and the top / bottom storage is **** - I have lots of folded things that need a real place. Argh OK maybe see if they have them in-store over the weekend. I'd rather shop Target - not like they're any better, but the people at the WalMart here are just...ugh.

Oh yeah, I hating shopping at Walmart ever since my college years where we did a research on them and white collar crimes. I generally shop at Target and Bed Bath and Beyond. But that rolling rack was too nice to pass on. The Walmart workers in my neck of the woods are generally elderly Asians who are usually polite.

I have learned my lesson
worship.gif
sometimes it takes punishment to learn
deadhorse-a.gif
You are taking it quite well. I'm surprised.
fing02[1].gif

Don't leave, just go back and read some of the 1000's of posts and you will get a feel for the thread itself and also learn a ton of stuff on what is good to thrift what is not, all the same questions get asked/answered, bitched about monthly when new people show up. You'll learn.
Very encouraging words!

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you're missing the WTF moment here... You made over $100 selling PRL shirts? :bounce2:

I think I need to take a bunch of these BB, etc. shirts I have sitting around and make up some lots

I've done well selling lots. You might not make as much on the individual item per se, but you cut down of the transactional costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads