The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

at this point does any one just want the suit for free XD

2. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

A smart man once told me, if you want to broadcast the wares you are selling without upsetting the tone of the thread, link items up to your sig! Nice and easy!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

3. b1os

b1os Senior member

Thanks for quoting his post. Hilarious! Made my day.

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I only joined a month or so ago, read the first few hundred and the last few hundred before posting the 1st time, made a few faux pas and stepped on toes, got drunk & bitchy one night and tried to bait people (which no one here fell for, too smart they)...and have now settled into trying to be an occasional helpful contributor, thankful when people chime in on my questions / comments / posts, and generally be pleasant like 99% of the other people here. It's cool.

5. chiron

chiron Senior member

This weeks finds...

(New E.Zegna) , Zanella (Blue) , Armani, Plaid BB, Boss "James Brown"

[​IMG]

Paul F, Robert T, Burberry, Lacoste , E.Zegna

[​IMG]

6. TheNeedMachine

What's the big diff?
    Okay, I have two lots of RL shirts on eBay. Not trying to get oglers with this post, just wondering what someone else sees that makes these two lots so different.
    Both lots are for 5 shirts, size L. Same BIN. Listed at the same time.
    This lot has 9 views and zero watchers...whereas this lot has 70 views and 7 watchers.
    Is it the photos? The colors (one lot is darker / more autumn, and one is more summery)? That in one lot all 5 have a pony, but the other only 3 have a pony?
    As touched on earlier, I have an interest in the psychology of these things and wonder why one lot is 8x more popular than the other. Baffling.

7. chiron

chiron Senior member

8. TheNeedMachine

...which Paul F is that? I see Paul Frederick all day long and have never picked any up...a different Paul F? I need schooling...

9. TheNeedMachine

That might well be it - the one with the views & watchers does look pretty snappy, and the other is blah. Thank you.

10. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

Strange. Went out today found 3 sportcoats with this label. All of them pretty nice fabrics (2 navy wool hopsack, 1 navy and red windowpane 100% Loro Piana Cashmere) but the styling was questionable. Jetted pockets, Low-ish gorge, low button stance, lightly structured shoulders. So I passed. Did I eff up?

Passed on the following too, mostly because I'm low on cash and can't really front purchases that don't fit me. Figured I post incase anyone into trad was interested. Shoot me a PM, could go back for it.

Gant navy hopsack Blazer, 3-2 roll, undarted, center vent, half-lined, flap patch pockets. No tagged size, tried it on myself, my guess would be about a 42 maybe 43. Anyways, I thought it was cool despite not fitting me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

Ok, so where do you guys get your bargains from? I fear there's just a different mentality in the US which makes it much easier to find things. We have a few small-ish second-hand stores (that's a thrift store, right?), but they either sell crap or focus on high-end couture and therefore know how to price. What about flea market and such?

12. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Well I hate to be the one to tell you this man, but you fucked up in a major way. A MAJOR fucking way....

You included a Pinterest button on one but not on the other. Bam. There that shit is, plain, hard, stone-cold truth. It's only because I love you that I say this man, only.

13. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Thrift store is another word for charity store, in principle.

Second - hand store could mean shop owner buys used clothing to sell or consigns them, hence the pricing.

Flea market - a place where random crap comes together mostly segregated by individual sellers (a bit like a Car Boot fair or an elaborate yard sale with many sellers). Some stuff is collectable, most is junk. I have yet to score high end clothing from a flea market although did get the wife a pair of True Religion once for a competitive price.

14. chiron

chiron Senior member

No its Paul Fredrick... It went well with the blue zanella pants.

Please do not purchase Paul Fredrick for reselling. Even if they look better then half the stuff posted in this Thread.

[​IMG]

15. b1os

b1os Senior member

Ah, sorry, I guess my phrasing was a little misleading. I know what a flea market is, they're popular around here. Thrift stores.. not so much, there's a small one from Oxfam, I guess I'll take a look at their stuff, but they don't have a lot.
    So you get all your stuff from thrift stores?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.