The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tben

tben Senior member

Holy [​IMG]! That's weird man.... Some guy just posted one http://www.styleforum.net/t/306314/beautiful-brooks-brothers-double-breasted-suit-made-in-usa-soft-shoulders-mostly-unstructured-41r ...JUST MAKE HIM AN OFFER!!!

He also has one of these.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/BURBERRY-BR...53657?pt=US_CSA_MC_Shirts&hash=item2a1fa24139 ....on sale for us for only $70!!!

2. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

ahh dangit, so close. i had a beautiful suit once, but the inseam was too long. thanks though.

3. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

nvm

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I suppose that's one way to look at it...I'm in media and market research, and consumer perception does not always mirror reality, hence why things cost $99.99 instead of $100.00. $55 and wait a week, possibly get sniped or pay more than the BIN, is not the same as $60 and you own it, to a lot of people. I've had items bid over what the original BIN was, which is just crazy, and they usually message me saying "I should have used the BIN". I may just go to all free shipping with a priority upgrade like you do. Last I read, eBay started taking a percentage of the shipping costs, which if true, totally blows as I already charge less than actual on a lot of things.

5. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

MY WORK HERE IS DONE. :bigstar:

6. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

RB3046 is the model number... quality of non bausch and lomb ones is much lower... my modern ones are soooooooooo bad compared to my wayfarer IIs

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

8. TheNeedMachine

That is nicer than I imagined it would be, and the top / bottom storage is tits - I have lots of folded things that need a real place. Argh OK maybe see if they have them in-store over the weekend. I'd rather shop Target - not like they're any better, but the people at the WalMart here are just...ugh.

9. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

I have learned my lesson [​IMG] sometimes it takes punishment to learn [​IMG]

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Correct. It was to minimize the circumvention of fees. I once bid on a saxophone (my first ebay transaction 7 years ago) it was like $20 starting bid. I had to cancel once I found the shipping was over $700.

If you use free shipping and the buyer chooses to upgrade, you only pay fees based on your selling price with free shipping. They are going to charge you anyway, so it might as well be included in the opening bid. It is all psychological anyway. An item $55 with free shipping will usually sell quicker than the same exact item at $50 with $5 shipping. It's the feeling of added value the buyer gets when they see the words "free shipping."

11. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

I realize now how I was served I deleted that comment and will never again link to items in this thread (or just stay away all together)

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Don't take it too hard, I'd venture to say that at least 30% off us came into the room making the same mistakes. I know I sure did. I was quickly scolded for posting links to my ebay stuff. Fortunately there is now a thread for that. http://www.styleforum.net/forum/newestpost/177939

Once you are here for a while and absord more info and knowledge than you can possibly imagine from this great "family" you will be more than happy to throw some of your find into the ring for cheap as a return of favors. You'll figure it out.

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Don't leave, just go back and read some of the 1000's of posts and you will get a feel for the thread itself and also learn a ton of stuff on what is good to thrift what is not, all the same questions get asked/answered, bitched about monthly when new people show up. You'll learn.

Interesting!!! Didnt know you dont have to pay fees if you offer free shipping with a cost to update shipping. Been offering more and more free shipping but this is just another good reason to do it. Thanks [​IMG]

14. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I have a great idea.

You should use the suit to make an ammo bag. I think your size measurements are wrong anyway.

15. TheNeedMachine

Ah yes - Makers - that's the other I keep an eye out for but have not come across it yet in the wild. 1818 and Eye-talian, yes, but no Makers (yet). Someone earlier mentioned a vintage BB corduroy coat made in Italy, which I had in my cart yesterday but then picked up all those damn 4XB Zegna shirts and put the BB coat back...might have made a mistake there, but it had a number of questionable spots that looked surface-only and possibly removable but wasn't sure.

That's the thing - I don't have a smart phone or vast knowledge bank yet, so determining flip-worthy-ness when in the wilds is still gut reaction for me. I never browse the pants - have absolutely no patience for that. Shirts, jackets, ties, quick eyeballing of the shoes, down the "figurines" aisle at GW, check for silver-face vintage stereo equip, see if they have a "special price" section for men or women, then out the door.

Thank you both for your insights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.