• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to get a rolling rack for my inventory.

Finally got one today from Walmart. $50 and it supports up to 200 lbs. God, I really need to unload on Ebay.

Plus ten fricking bazillion on this. I literally have stuff hanging from the molding around 2 large entrance ways, one closet stuffed and 2 others partially full...mainly because I have things separated by "didn't sell, try later", "hold for autumn", "wait until I have 5 same size and offer as a lot", "has a spot I didn't see, will probably come out, too lazy to launder", "oops that's a women's shirt/coat", etc. Been looking for a good deal on 2 or 3 garment / salesman's racks - I might have to break down and buy them new.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the whole suit but the pants didn't fit me the drop is 10in but there is fabric for it to be let back out, were you looking to buy it or just commenting? I have it listed on sf here http://www.styleforum.net/t/306314/...in-usa-soft-shoulders-mostly-unstructured-41r make me an offer I am pretty open

I don't think a Brooksgate 2 piece is considered to be quality at least not on this thread. I think you should be asking in the range of $50 to be fair. My two cents. Maybe Ebay is a better place for a better price.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
Those are nice! Always fun to find stuff you never have before....See Below - PS - Got the cufflinks today, THANKS!
Thanks, as far as I know the only pair of Hanover shells I have not found are exactly like these, but black. I have already found them in 2 tone.

Glad you like the links.

EDIT: Noice Haul today too!!

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If wishes were horses, flippers would ride... You know what I wish? For eBay to have a BIN free shipping option. i.e.: I'm selling a widget, opening bid $50 plus $5 shipping, with a BIN of $60. If the buyer uses BIN, they get free shipping...for those people who are shopping for something they need (not just want) and don't want to dick around bidding and waiting 7 days. I get my $ faster, eBay makes more commission, buyer gets it faster, and I automatically get 5 stars on ship cost & time because it converted to free shipping. I suggested it to eBay a couple times and I'm sure it went right into someone's "trash" folder. But I think it would be a pretty sweet seller new option.

I was also wishing for something else thrift-related the other day, which I am going to look into making come true...and it would be doubly sweet, as well as a potential money-maker. Not gonna say any more lest one of you Gypsies steal my idea.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here pick up Brooks Brothers stuff? I always grab the US-made shirts, anything 1818, and anything made in Italy (hard to come by)... I see their 346, BrooksEase, "Brooks" (sans "Brothers") and other labels and always pass on 'em. Should I be passing them up?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Plus ten fricking bazillion on this. I literally have stuff hanging from the molding around 2 large entrance ways, one closet stuffed and 2 others partially full...mainly because I have things separated by "didn't sell, try later", "hold for autumn", "wait until I have 5 same size and offer as a lot", "has a spot I didn't see, will probably come out, too lazy to launder", "oops that's a women's shirt/coat", etc. Been looking for a good deal on 2 or 3 garment / salesman's racks - I might have to break down and buy them new.

Oh man, you will love this thing! You can hang things on both sides and stores things on the top and bottom shelves. You should be able to find one in your local Walmart. If not, you can get it on their website and have them ship it to the store for free.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canopy-Heavy-Duty-Garment-Rack-Bronze/15627387

Have fun!

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Does anyone here pick up Brooks Brothers stuff? I always grab the US-made shirts, anything 1818, and anything made in Italy (hard to come by)... I see their 346, BrooksEase, "Brooks" (sans "Brothers") and other labels and always pass on 'em. Should I be passing them up?

Suits/jacket-wise I might grab if it fits or is especially flip-worthy. Shirts almost never because the eBay prices are low and they rarely fit me because I am not a human beach ball. I've literally only ever found one pair of their pants without holes, and I bought for myself.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey dudes, haven't had a chance to read the thread lately. i'm looking for a double breasted suit, preferably american-made (especially BB) with soft shoulders. need a 41R. prefer fully unstructured, but will consider a suit that is mostly unstructured. anyone know where i can find such a garment?

jcb9

Reaction score
I think you have the right mindset. I have only been able to successfully flip Brooks Brothers USA-made items, Made in Italy sports coats, a few vintage items and anything Makers. I leave everything else.

EDIT: It's true that most of the BB items I see are stained/ripped/frayed all to hell. I am not sure how this happens. I recently retired two pair of BB pants made with Loro Piani fabric that I wore once a week for six years, and the only visible wear was the beginning of some fraying on the bottom of the cuff (not from stepping on it, but from wear/cleaning).

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If wishes were horses, flippers would ride... You know what I wish? For eBay to have a BIN free shipping option. i.e.: I'm selling a widget, opening bid $50 plus $5 shipping, with a BIN of $60. If the buyer uses BIN, they get free shipping...for those people who are shopping for something they need (not just want) and don't want to dick around bidding and waiting 7 days. I get my $ faster, eBay makes more commission, buyer gets it faster, and I automatically get 5 stars on ship cost & time because it converted to free shipping. I suggested it to eBay a couple times and I'm sure it went right into someone's "trash" folder. But I think it would be a pretty sweet seller new option.

I was also wishing for something else thrift-related the other day, which I am going to look into making come true...and it would be doubly sweet, as well as a potential money-maker. Not gonna say any more lest one of you Gypsies steal my idea.
Simple fix...make it $55 opening bid with free shipping or BIN $60 free shipping. I always offer free shipping, but charge a small fee for a priority upgrade. The shipping is already covered in the starting price.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn brah, so ******* close. The closest I know of is a BEAUTIFUL Brooks Brothers Double Breasted Suit Made In Usa Soft ShouldersMostly Unstructured 41R.

You don't want BEAUTIFUL, no deal.

The devil is always in the details man.

hey dudes, haven't had a chance to read the thread lately. i'm looking for a double breasted suit, preferably american-made (especially BB) with soft shoulders. need a 41R. prefer fully unstructured, but will consider a suit that is mostly unstructured. anyone know where i can find such a garment?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads