• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jettison

Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansderHund

The Ray-Bans don't look terribly fake. Try gently scratching the Ray-Ban logo off with your fingernail. If it easily comes off, fake and if not, possibly real.
How do the hinges feel? Tight and well-made? Look at the nose piece...is there an RB engraved in the metal? Is there a model number under the nose bridge?
Grenadine......................

NOT a grenadine... made that mistake myself once!

You should send it to me for further examination
mwink%5B1%5D.gif

I have one of those in pink. Its not a grenadine, but it ties a nice knot. Pulls like crazy though.

Yup, not grenadine. This would have been the perfect opportunity for a brianpore lmgtfy though- T&A's site still has them up. Called 'lace weave' apparently.

I'm going to try my luck selling this one as it has a fuzzy/worn patch (as hikari says, pretty fragile). The other identical one I'm keeping for myself
bigstar[1].gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...would that be two fingers from the same hand, or one finger from each hand? Or, one of your own fingers and one from someone else (or two fingers from someone else)?

I only notice other shoppers when I see the same people at subsequent stores along one of my routes, or flipping hangars faster than someone who is shopping "normally". Otherwise, I get in the zone and ignore everyone else.

I've only noticed a few people who does the fast hangers shuffle. I'm tempted to say hi when I see those folks around...But then something always catches my eye before I could.

danne888

Reaction score
This Versace tie is a fake right? I paid under 1 $ and just had to take the chance even though i am pretty sure its a fake. Its missing the piece where you put the small end of the tie (dont know what its called in english). The 100 % silk tag also made me think fake but i have never held a real Versace tie and i thought it was worth the chance :) It feels like good quality and its definitely silk.

Nobody got anything to say about the authenticity of this tie?

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you see another potential SF member...you could simply do a quick flash of "the Shocker"

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Quote:
Passed the fingernail test, but no nose piece engraving. (Can we add these to the lick test/ pinch test/ hermes logo intricacy test.?) Despite wearing glasses every day for 7+ years, not sure what 'quality' glasses feel like. Based of the slight flimsyness I'm erring on the side of fake though.

On all of my Ray Bans (except wayfarers obviously), the nose piece has something similar to this:

Some of mine aren't engraved at the nose bridge, but cheap sunglasses usually have some sort of spiral design where it is crimped to the nose pad.

Another tip off to higher quality/legit glasses are the hinges. Take a look at them on any pair of nice glasses and you'll often see a more complicated hinge mechanism. The cheaper the glasses, the flimsier/softer the hinges.

Whenever I pick up a pair of glasses that are either an unknown maker or suspected fake, I look at the following:

1. Nose pads: As I mentioned, cheap/knock-off glasses often lack a symbol or logo and instead opt for some generic pattern. Normally crimped metal to hold in place on cheap glasses.
2. Hinges: How far does it bend out and pop back in place? If there is a good spring to it, possibly higher quality.
3. Lenses: Knock it with your fingernail. Does it rattle? Is it obviously glass?
4. Weight: How heavy are they? In my experience, heavier glasses reinforce the idea of quality.
5. Added embellishments: Are they glued on or are they real screws that are added?

Of course there are plenty of exceptions to each of these such as titanium or rimless framers, prescription glass lenses in no name frames, etc. In all honesty, if I'm unsure I won't buy them or I'll throw them away. Fakes will sometimes have actual UV protection, but often they're just tinted lenses that allow your eyes to dilate and allow more harmful rays in. Not worth the risk in my opinion for a product that you can often find on sale for reasonable prices.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Medusa head looks wicked fake to me. Looks more like an "o face" than the Medusa heads I remember seeing. The placement of the "100% silk" tag also seems very...un-Versace. But I'm less knowledgeable on this stuff, so I'll leave the final word for Spoo.

Nobody got anything to say about the authenticity of this tie?

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I don't know how you guys flip volume- I'm just clearing out a backlog of maybe 10 suits, ties, shirts, etc. (respectively) and it takes forever.

Anyway, I come for advice:

Fake/Genuine? (May be the fakiest fakes ever faked but sunglasses rarely pop up in the thread, and I am subsequently ignorant).

I wear Rx Ray-Ban's, both sunglasses and indoor / different frames, and have for about 25 years...All my new and old pairs have a model # someplace on them - on the nose bridge, on one of the arms, etc - it's a number, a square and another number. For example, my New Wayfarer style has "52 [] 18" (on one arm) and my indoors have "52 [] 19" (on both the bridge and one arm). A number/square/number like that should be on them someplace at least once, though I suppose if you're faking them, you'd include something similar.

acosbysweater

Reaction score
“Dress British, Think Yiddish”

bigstar[1].gif

Do you guys purchase things new? I mean that without sarcasm and no without offense intended. However, as much as I love finding something awesome that fits and thats costs next to nothing, I love and prefer to buy new. I will often buy something I really want new (sale or not). I also find that I get far more use out things I buy new. Likely because I spend more time thinking about a bigger purchase.
Anyway, I know it's been discussed before but I thought I'd ask out of curiosity.

Of course I do, but it's always at a sale price. Considering most of the things in my budget at "new" pricing are of passable quality at best, I always hold out for finding the best possible item for the best possible price. I often shop eBay for NWT or gently worn SW&D pieces, because if you've ever looked at Oki Ni, Self Edge, Mr. Porter, Context Clothing, etc. you won't be buying things at "new" pricing.

I agree, good deal. especially that drakes, I like it! Plus it is the thrift/discount store thread. BTW you only send $100 a month at thrifts?! Damn son, I could never do that.

You aren't selective enough, then. Unless you're shopping boutique thrifts or consignment shops, you shouldn't be spending over $15 at the absolute maximum per piece. Most everything I buy is under $10, so I'd like to think all told that I spend somewhere around an average of $100 a month, especially in the summer.

Just a couple basics today:

Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant to post this a while ago but this was my memorial day haul

burberry pullover nwt size M retails for 175, it is for sale message me for offers or info price: 70

cole haan tassle loafers I have since sold

creative recreations for all you sneaker head size 8.5 message me if you want to buy, price $20

jack purcells I have since sold

ralph lauren classic fit madras button down XL, I have it listed on my other posts but I will sell it here as well price $20 see my listing http://www.styleforum.net/t/306325/ralph-lauren-custom-fit-linen-and-madras-shirts-l-xl

ralph lauren custom fit linen shirt size L custom fit price $18 see my other listing of it http://www.styleforum.net/t/306325/ralph-lauren-custom-fit-linen-and-madras-shirts-l-xl

brooks brothers soft shoulders made in usa mostly unstructured double breasted suit size 41R wait 31 with room to be let out see my actual listing for more details http://www.styleforum.net/t/306314/...houlders-mostly-unstructured-41r#post_5562666

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just when I thought I was finished finding any other styles of Hanover Shell Cordovan shoes, the thrift gods prove me wrong.
worship.gif
Only one more pair to be found and I will have seen them all....at least I think.

Pics tonight after cleanup.
Being made in all one color, makes these Hanover L.B. Sheppard Shell Cordovan Saddles some of the rarest of the entire Hanover line.
This is what they look like after removing a thick 30 year layer of dust. And to think, I wasn't going to go out at lunch today.

11 D/B

Last edited:

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was taking pictures of my upper half with this suit jacket for the main picture of my listing for it on ebay when I noticed that with my faded dad jeans and tan I looked exactly like I had just been in italy for pitti uomo. So here it is my very late inspired pitti uomo kit for under 40.
the jacket was $3.25 (the full suit was 7.50) it is a brooks brothers made in usa summer weight double breasted (i wish it were 4 button instead of 6) chalkstipe and has almost no padding. I got it at a thrift store in berkely
the shirt is my dads brooks brothers shirt that was too small for him and a little to big for me hence the collar gap.
the tie is no label and i got it for a dollar
the jeans are vintage levis I got at mars in berkely for $14
the shoes are tretorn nylites i got at shoebacca.com for $20 (they are no longer this cheap)
the unseen belt is unlabeled high quality solid leather and was a dollar at out of the closet(it is an aids benefit charity) thrift store.
total cost: 39.50 so i guess this is really my under 40 pitti kit… anyway I realize there are some problems with fit ect but since I am not keeping that jacket and the shirt is my dads I think those can slide by, also I forgot a pocket square! I broke menswear rule #1 oh well it looks more casual this way
p.s. I don’t smile
pps if I was actually going to pitti uomo I would wear my suede loafers I just already had my tretorns on
ppps scratch that if I actually went to pitti uomo I would wrap myself in cashmere scarfs and parade around like a brunello cucinelli sponsored mummy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads