• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Those will be super hard to move. Zegna shirts, even the really recent ones in normal sizes are a tough sale. Couldn't give some recent casual shirts in size L away. Never could figure out why Zegna resale (besides suits) sucks so badly. Sold a current label sportcoat, basically NWOT for $80 on the bay. No takers on here. The retail price is high and the quality and styling are definitely there. Some of my favorite pieces are Zegna.
On another note, I'm surprised you guys are finding stuff! Went to 5 stores yesterday and came out empty handed. Everyone and their brother was out. Oh well.

Yeah, rolled the dice, see if there are any takers on the bay. Maybe Suge Knight is buying pre-owned now. A $120 + tax gamble, will see if it pays off. I've had bad luck moving Lorenzini and Zanella shirts as well...
Well, here's hoping the right guy comes along - I also picked up some 4XB RL Polo stuff (and passed on as much as I picked up), and had a 4XL buyer on eBay before so maybe I'll tap him and see if he's interested in any of it.

Just got a Zegna SC back from the cleaners, and been sitting on a couple of Canali SC's - time to stop shopping and start listing things. Running out of hangars.

Today, the stores were mobbed here as well.

Guitar Preacher

Reaction score

And finally, I thought Robert Graham's were butt ******* ugly (although I love finding them), sit down and get ready for some BERTIGO!!! I'd never heard of this godawful brand, but apparently these retail for $150-200 and these were in basically NWOT condition. The material on the inside of the cuffs is actually some type of satiny job. Awesome. Hopefully can flip on the bay.
DSC03288.jpg

DSC03287.jpg

DSC03289.jpg

DSC03290.jpg

DSC03291.jpg

DSC03292.jpg

DSC03293.jpg

Check the tag it might be silk trimming like Robert Graham. I just sold a bunch of RG and the auction I included "silk" in the title fetched more then the rest. If your ebaying these that is.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Buttons are easy to replace... Cost like $1 each at the tailor

It would have been to flip, size 44L I believe. Strangely, made with Loro Piana corduroy... never seen that before.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Went to a couple places today, but all I ended up with was this pair of shoes. NWOB Allen Edmonds Orlean white bucks.... Kinda a weird size at 6.5 EEE but they were cheap. Wish these were my size.

Goes without saying, but those are in amazing condition. Did they come from a bona fide thrift?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, one more eff you to iPad; can't figure out how to use the multi quote or turn off effing auto correct. or select and delete large blocks of text.

But nat: really?? I have had solid luck with zegna shirts. Not talking $100 each, but at least $30-45 each in good condition. This seems like a perfect situation for binobo so you can wait for exactly the right buyer. A guy like that I guarantee you has trouble getting nice shirts. It's just a question of tapping into the right channels to get their attention.

Also, that last zegna is nice and my size. Available?

Deadly: I have that cord jacket. It kicks ass. Get it.

And yeah, selection this week sucked. Should be surprised based on the number of references in this thread to people entering my territory. :cloud: Not that it would have done me any good anyway, given my budgt constraints.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd ask if you guys knew if Givenchy Sport was faked, but first I should prolly ask if you guys've ever heard of Givenchy Sport.

:eh:

Last edited:

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Givinchy sport? News to me, but post pics though :)

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Givinchy sport? News to me, but post pics though :)

Hm, that might call out that little pot-stirrer guy. :laugh:

They're large blue track-ish pants, silk and nylon, I believe -- bought to quench my thirst for those ridiculous silk sweatpants that Lanvin makes.

Google tells me Givenchy Sport began in the 70's, featured prominently in several Charlie's Angels storylines, and was thought generally groovy. Nothing about the quality, though.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha, I found a vintage A&F shirt (Teddy style, leather shooting patch), and a cotton Animal House-looking trad tie. Nothing too baller, but pretty interesting for around here. Pics tomorrooow!

Last edited:

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

By the way, I know the Campus suit isn't a Kiton or anything but that old trad stuff get's my rocks off, also that Schott looks to be unworn, pnutpug can back me up on this. It is not broken in AT ALL! I'm guessing from the tag that it's from the 70's but maybe some of you gents who are more knowledgeable about these things can school me on that.

Drag about the jacket having dry-clean sheen. FWIW, I'd wear it anyway--we both looked closely and didn't spot anything amiss (which is what's really cool about thrifting with back-up: Another set of eyes really helps in finding flaws). The Schott is also bomb and, as E says, entirely without any creases or wear marks. But I would say that the Campus suit was the best find of the weekend. Better, even, than the Brioni. It is better because it looks as if the maker created it custom for the proud new owner, who has an extraordinary eye for what's good and what sucks. Yet another reminder than what's best isn't necessarily what's most expensive or sought after by the masses.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They're large blue track-ish pants, silk and nylon, I believe -- bought to quench my thirst for those ridiculous silk sweatpants that Lanvin makes.
Google tells me Givenchy Sport began in the 70's, featured prominently in several Charlie's Angels storylines, and was thought generally groovy. Nothing about the quality, though.

I never thought Givenchy were that high a quality, but kudos to the brand, I like some of their designs and would gladly deck myself in them.

I guess it is a wise replacement for an $800 plus pair of Lanvin pants - particularly in lieu that they would probably be a one in a million find out in the wild if one wants to avoid retail.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads