The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

Ok... I don't know WTF is going on, but some it will spoiler and the others it wont, i've respoilered 3x now. Any idea why the exact same process works for some but not the others?

2. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Nothing spectacular quality-wise, but a few sweet pieces. Happy 4th!

SICK brick red Harris tweed by J. Crew. Fits, so not available
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More J. Crew. Again, fits well.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've had good luck flipping these monstrosities
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Staple charcoal & blue in 44 available:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some old school American-made JBL speakers. Nothing special, and some douchenozzle painted them (and not even well), but it hurts to see quality speaker equipment in distress, so I'm going to chemically strip the paint to get to the real wood Oak veneer beneath. Available.
    [​IMG]

PRL shorts: red linen exactly like the pants I found a while back, and lime green cord.
    [​IMG]

Any hipsters here? Printed on AA tee.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not pictured: a few Trafalgar braces, VV ties, and an RLPL tie.

3. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

i'm probably mistaken, but isn't Evil Abed around that size?

4. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Report from the field (Day 2): I've been in Dallas as of yesterday visiting some friends over the 4th of July holiday. One of my friends and I hit 4 stores before lunch and mid-day beers. We're gonna finish up here and hit a bunch of other stores before blowing the doors off this town tonight.

So far this morning:

• Belvest for Stanley Korshak 2 piece suit.
    • Polo by Ralph Lauren light beige linen (linen / silk blend?) sport coat with MOPs. Made in USA.
    • misc. ties.

@ easye: GREAT Thrift Fit / Moonrise Kingdom tribute pic! Here's to bringing Thrift Fits out from in front of bathroom mirrors around the country. [​IMG]

5. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

Both of those J Crew jackets are bad ass [​IMG]

6. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

Here are some finds from today's run. Nothing baller status, but some decent stuff.
    40R Jaeger wool/linen/cotton s/c. I think this thing is actually pretty badass. Dual vents, hand pick stitching on the lapels, modern cut, nice and lightweight for warm weather. I actually have an older Jaeger that I thrifted and I like the fit a lot. If only this were a 38 I'd be rocking it. Available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sweet 42L Samuelsohn cashmere and silk s/c. Patch pockets, pick stitching everywhere, unstructured and super soft. Just has a minor issue with the hem having come undone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Was happy to find these AE's in my size. Been looking for a darker brown shoe for a while.
    [​IMG]

Also found a pair of Bally's that seemed to have had a full resole. If anyone is a 9.5D these are available.
    [​IMG]

Brianpore, where you at? Found a smaller Corneliani gray w/blue pinstripe for you. Size tag was removed but measures out to about a 36S I'm guessing. Dual vents, functional sleeves, pick stitching up the wazzoo. Only thing is it has some type of stain on the jacket. Gonna see if the dry cleaner can get it out.
    P2P -19"
    Sleeve - 22"
    Shoulder -17.5"
    Waist - 28'
    Inseam 26" w/2" cuff
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally, I thought Robert Graham's were butt fucking ugly (although I love finding them), sit down and get ready for some BERTIGO!!! I'd never heard of this godawful brand, but apparently these retail for $150-200 and these were in basically NWOT condition. The material on the inside of the cuffs is actually some type of satiny job. Awesome. Hopefully can flip on the bay.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. tben

tben Senior member

Great finds man! I would be interested in the T and the PRLs if they are available...pm me!

8. eazye

eazye Senior member

Thanks buddy!

9. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Do we know who makes "Made in Italy" ties for Banana Republic? Anyone good? Or another no-name...?

10. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Gout for a it today and found some neat stuff. Not pictured is a handful of RG and Pink shirts for the bay. On to the interesting stuff:

This old school Brooks Brothers Brooksgate flannel. Fits me very well, so not available. Old as shirt in totally mint condition. Excellent texture and color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Beautiful Polo flannel. One of the nicest colored shirts I've come acros in a while. Mint. cond. Tagged as a medium, but measures to a XL. Available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Has anyone seen this Polo tag before? Wtf?

[​IMG]

Polo unstructured cotton blazer. Recent. Needs a dry cleaning. Tagged as a XXL. Surgeon's cuffs. Available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On to my best find of the day - a pair of mint, hand-lasted vintage Foot Joys. I think Mr. Moo found a pair of these a while back? Anyway, I'm not resorting to hyperbole when I say that these are probably the nicest pair of American-made shoes I've ever come across.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Happy 4th. I made my students (undergrads) listen to this jam yesterday:

Previously, none of them were aware of its existence. Gimme a break, young bucks.

11. catside

catside Senior member

Not a bad day. Got a Borrelli sport shirt, a T&A shirt and a pair of Bill's shorts.
    Passed 3 T&A shirts -condition and/or price was bad, a pair of Alden Cape Cod all weather walkers 10.5 which had great soles but inside the shoe would require too much work, identical looking Alden and AE Park Aves, beat up, would require too much work to sell. Couple of branded surcingles, and nwt Italian belts, nothing that attracted my fancy. Lots of BB shirts, and of course orphans as usual.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

12. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

pretty much everywhere I went was picked clean this week, must be people off work or something...

Did have one unfortunate experience, a guy who referred to his cell phone for a description of location and pic and went straight to the rack and pulled out suit after suit... I guess this is the new way of tipping off your buying accomplice... guess he wasnt happy that I picked up the hugo boss einstein in 44L... $100 loss for him... I was good though... I kept my mouth shut and didnt make any sarcastic comments...

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Went to 3 GW's today, which I had never before visited. The first two were picked over; I walked out with 3 or 4 regular old things from each, these being the most notable (and not much at that):

RRL western/paisley shirt.
    [​IMG]

Tom James shirt, made in USA. No content tag but it feels linen-y.
    [​IMG]

This Daniel Cremieux tie, a brand I never pick up as they're always made in Asia or S. America, but this is hand-made in Italy and 100% silk...and a numbered edition of 66.
    [​IMG]

...and it's a 7-fold.
    [​IMG]

From the third GW, I started seeing some very big shirts - size 4XB - that's XXXXL+Big. I brought home a few big shirts from GW #3 to flip:
    [​IMG]

These two Robert Talbott's...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and these...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FINALLY one that fits me - a Large.
    [​IMG]

The obvious downside is that most of them are size 4XB. The upside is that if some fat bastard (no offense to any fat bastards on this forum) likes E. Zegna, well, he'll know where to find me.

Not sure how to list (lots vs. individually) or price them, as there aren't any current or completed shirt listings for E. Zegna in 4XB for comparison.

14. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Passed on a 2004 tan corduroy BB SC that was made in Italy because it was missing a button on each sleeve... good pass?

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Those will be super hard to move. Zegna shirts, even the really recent ones in normal sizes are a tough sale. Couldn't give some recent casual shirts in size L away. Never could figure out why Zegna resale (besides suits) sucks so badly. Sold a current label sportcoat, basically NWOT for $80 on the bay. No takers on here. The retail price is high and the quality and styling are definitely there. Some of my favorite pieces are Zegna.

On another note, I'm surprised you guys are finding stuff! Went to 5 stores yesterday and came out empty handed. Everyone and their brother was out. Oh well.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.