The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Definitely not a thrift purchase -- a Best Buy "sale" purchase: My wife and I just bought a T3i, something she's been lusting after for a long time. With this, and free pics on ebay, I'll finally be listing the metric ton of clothes I have squirreled away in various places.

And the best part is that the use of it for journalistic freelance, combined with ebay, equals tax writeoff!

2. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

oopsi

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012

3. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

That IS a hot tip - thank you! Kennesaw is the next town south, and definitely on my thrifting trail - I bet they have other "domestic imports" that I've been missing from around the country.

5. TheNeedMachine

That looks pretty straight-up to me. Could have been a few misinformed bidders through no fault of your own, who didn't know what they were bidding on. I personally would have expected maybe $40, $50 tops for the suit if I were selling it, and I regularly leave it behind in the shops unless it's halfies day.

6. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

I would have been happy if it sold at all. The Oxxford & Hugo Boss I was selling sold for less than $100 each!

7. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I saw two suits earlier that had the burberry logo all along the inner lining, but I couldn't find a single tag anywhere. It had a thin red line of fabric between the lining and the outer material where they meet inside. One sideways pockets in the interior. Styling looker fairly recent. Felt fairly canvassed. Are these likely real or fake? No tags just threw me off...

9. bytor13

bytor13 Senior member

I know, I know, but I did put "Burberrys'" in the title and showed the tag. I just figured that no one would be searching for "Burberrys'", so it wouldn't hurt to employ a little SEO. Tbf, I didn't put "Burberry London" or "Burberry Prorsum" or anything like that. I sold an actual "Burberry London" sport coat for $25 just today, though.

The main point was that I was asking for help from some experience eBayers. I've been on eBay for 2 weeks and HATE IT! Too much hassle! I'd much rather trade/sell to you guys, but y'all didn't want it and neither did I, so this was what I did.

10. frenchytoo

frenchytoo Senior member

i agree i also have a deal with Randy going,good guy pleasure to biz with

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RebelWithACause [​IMG]

Have a current transaction going on with Randy, couldn't ship on time. Good guy as he was understanding.
    Picked up a versace belt, brioni, borrelli, and a few zegna shirts. Not available.
    A tip for some of you guys in NYC, the city only fruitful if you hit stores once a day.
    Try the same frequency with some outer borough spots and you gonna pull in that high end stuff.
    The Putthison blogger recommend KOSS headphones a while back, I grabbed two pairs when they were having a 40%
    off sale. Best headphones EVER. Can't beat a lifetime warranty.

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

+1...actually +2

12. frenchytoo

frenchytoo Senior member

mint condition funky staple suit from Etro is a 38 Reg 2 button,lately Etro stuff has just been falling into my lap.by the way most of my finds will soon be available on Spoo's shop most likely.i just dont have the time to fart around on ebay

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also on a non clothing related topic,guys keep your eyes out for these vintage globe lamps.the really nice ones (real wood base and metal parts,no plastic) can fetch up to $300 on ebay and especially ETSY.i got this one for $5.99 sold it for $250.
    but even the cheap plastic ones go for around $100,but they have to be the vintage ones,obviously quickest way to tell is of the Soviet Union is still on the map but they will always have a date somewhere.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. TheNeedMachine

Hit 1 indie shop today and 2 GW's...Groundhog Day - almost a repeat of yesterday - all for the flip pile (except the last item).

Another Canali Italy super 120's - these things are falling out of someone's ass all over north metro ATL. $3.50.
    [​IMG]

Banana Republic tie, made in Italy, NWT (otherwise nanner public is a pass for me). $1.46.
    [​IMG]

Eight more Polo / RL Oxfords, including one NWT and one made in Italy. 2 half price at $2.50 each, the other 6 for $4.92 each.
    [​IMG]

Two Hugo Boss, made in Italy - one polo style, the other LS button down. $4.92 each.
    [​IMG]

Pendleton madras, $2.50.
    [​IMG]

Two Tommy Bahama's, $4.92 each.
    [​IMG]

One Brooks Brothers, one John Varvatos, $4.92 each.
    [​IMG]

Solid, heavy, all-metal goose neck florescent desk lamp. Works like a champ, needs cleaning. The GW worker just handed it to me instead of putting it on a shelf. $4.94.
    [​IMG]

14. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

Ran over to meet some friends for the Euro final had a chance to jump into a Gwill. All of the following are available:

VTG 38r(ish) H. Freeman & Sons Blazer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ridiculous! I think this is pretty trad approved. un-darted, 3r2

Chest: 20.5
    Sleeve 24.5
    Shoulder 17.5
    Length 30

J. Crew 44R Searsucker Jacket Single Vent 3r2
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chest 23
    Sleeve 25.5/26
    Shoulders 20
    Length 31.25

Stain on left arm - going to try and get this out now.

Brioni L/S Sport Shirt (first Brioni in the wild!) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7.75 Neck Across
    23.5 Chest Across
    24.5 Sleeve

15. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

H. Freeman & Sons is a different company than Hickey Freeman. Relatively similar in terms of quality, imo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.