Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

+1 best reply i've read in awhile. ON a completely unrelated note, I just won $300 at the poker table down stairs! woot.

2. mainy

mainy Senior member

here's what i managed to grab today. everything is available but for sale not trade, unless you have some cool streetwear in slim size small or XS

[​IMG]
    ridiculous Bottino (some store in philly I think) two tone shoes... hand made in spain, blake stitched, had to pick them up for the price. 9.5M

[​IMG]
    alden for brooks brothers shell cordovan ptb. pics make these look beat but they just need to be cleaned up. best find of day IMO. 9 D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    church's custom grade brown monkstrap. previous owner was nice enough to have them resoled / reheeled AND keep shoe trees in them. 8 F

[​IMG]
    recent dark green brooks brothers corduroy harrington jacket. size small. damn this thing is nice i wish it was small enough for me :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    another brand off my thrift bucket list... made in france no less

[​IMG]
    scotch and soda wool cardigan... xl

[​IMG]
    hugo boss slim fit made in italy Medium, paul & shark made in italy XL x2

[​IMG]
    wah maker shirt for ebay, dead mint willis & geiger shirt, ditto for the prada shirt which is size 39

decent day all around, no suits / sportcoats though

3. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

no exciting stories like last night to share.

but out of curiousity: how do you heavy hitters (brian, cap, the like) keep track of inventory, sales, profits, targets etc.

I built a very rudimentary excel file at the beginning of my thrifting tendencies that I have since outgrown and after my wedding I would like to build something that gives daily, weekly, monthly information.

please note that I am not asking for your spreadsheet template although that would be incredibly kind :D but more digging for gems that I might not uncover otherwise.

my main goal would be to include line items that I didnt fully anticipate at the outset ie insertion fees, FVF, shipping charged to customer and actual shipping cost and be able to break down profit margins by item, week etc.

I figure that I owe it to myself to be able to quantify my results :D

4. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

So, after the eBay shenanigans, I took some time off from thrifting, and this thread. Still browsed it a little here and there just so no grail pieces from trading partners would slip through without notice. First day back today and...

[​IMG]
    best. day. ever.

Not my most expensive finds ever, nor rarest or oddest patterns, but a few first-time finds. The best part being that everything I loved fits me nearly perfectly. :slayer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Scoured the store for the pants. At least I finally have an excuse to use some buttons I've harvested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Again, no pants. But still awesome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All the jackets have surgeon's cuffs, but the sleeves fit perfectly. :slayer: The Su Misura seem to be MTM, as there is a name and date (one made in '09, one in '10). I'll definitely be back to the store to see anymore of this guy's clothing ends up there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pearl Izumi long-sleeve jersey
    [​IMG]

Won an auction for this while I was out today, too. Little higher than thrift prices, but I think it's awesome. Vintage, nearly antique, Deuter rucksack:
    [​IMG]

This stuff is all available:

These seemed like really good quality. Being made in Romania, I figured they were some sort of Incotex iteration.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also found Park Ave.s in 9.5D. Available. Pretty good condition, don't seem to be worn much. I'll get pictures tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

Also found a Miele cooktop for a good friend of mine that just bought a house with his girlfriend. Made a great housewarming gift. Similar to this, but an older model:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

5. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

:slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

6. eazye

eazye Senior member

GOOD GOD!

7. eazye

eazye Senior member

quote name="330CK" url="/t/9006/the-official-thrift-discount-store-bragging-thread/40245#post_5551685"]So, after the eBay shenanigans, I took some time off from thrifting, and this thread. Still browsed it a little here and there just so no grail pieces from trading partners would slip through without notice. First day back today and...
    [​IMG]
    best. day. ever.
    Not my most expensive finds ever, nor rarest or oddest patterns, but a few first-time finds. The best part being that everything I loved fits me nearly perfectly. :slayer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Scoured the store for the pants. At least I finally have an excuse to use some buttons I've harvested.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Again, no pants. But still awesome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All the jackets have surgeon's cuffs, but the sleeves fit perfectly. :slayer: The Su Misura seem to be MTM, as there is a name and date (one made in '09, one in '10). I'll definitely be back to the store to see a
    nymore of this guy's clothing ends up there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pearl Izumi long-sleeve jersey
    [​IMG]
    Won an auction for this while I was out today, too. Little higher than thrift prices, but I think it's awesome. Vintage, nearly antique, Deuter rucksack:
    [​IMG]

This stuff is all available:

These seemed like really good quality. Being made in Romania, I figured they were some sort of Incotex iteration.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also found Park Ave.s in 9.5D. Available. Pretty good condition, don't seem to be worn much. I'll get pictures tomorrow.
    [​IMG]
    Also found a Miele cooktop for a good friend of mine that just bought a house with his girlfriend. Made a great housewarming gift. Similar to this, but an older model:
    [​IMG][/quote]
    Sorry, Good God!!!!!

8. Stissius

Stissius Well-Known Member

Damn really cool stuff man. That rucksack is sweet.

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Thanks guys - it's my first V. Westwood find. Sadly it's on the smaller side, size II (whatever that is). Seems to be a slim Medium.

:slayer:

Wow!! That is one insane haul! I'd camp out at this store for more of this donation or at least the pants to those super recent Zegna suits!

10. tben

tben Senior member

Bro...harvest the buttons?! Come on, send it to me and I will figure out a fresh way to wear it...Nice haul man! [​IMG]

11. mainy

mainy Senior member

i think he just meant he was going to replace the buttons on it with lighter buttons from another jacket :)

12. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

John Varvatos made in Mexico...Dammit! Should of looked more careful!

It's cool. Full canvassed with elbow patches, though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

RRL
    [​IMG]
    YES!
    [​IMG]
    Another Z.
    [​IMG]
    Another Bb.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Licensed?
    [​IMG]
    Over paid but its ok.
    [​IMG]
    I think I bought a fake Gucci shirt. Anyone second this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Low end Chanel or fake? Bought one left the other 3 there.
    [​IMG]
    Bought this cuz it was quality. Anyone recognize any of these labels?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Worth picking up? It's ugly even I didn't want to pick it up. lol
    [​IMG]

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Check out the ebay app Outright (also accessible from the iPhone once you have it set up on ebay) you will love it. It tracks all of the finance side for you. You only need to input your daily/weekly outside expenditure and mileage. Outlook automatically combines your ebay and paypal accounts to track online expenses, fees, income etc. by category, month, and year. There is no inventory tool on this app though, at least not yet.

Also check out the ebay app Simple Inventory for Ebay. Just discovered it myself, haven't had a chance to use it yet.

EDIT: Nevermind the Simple Inventory for Ebay....it's probably not what we are looking for. Outright is sill tits though.

PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

14. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Frenchy Too. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Love it.

I get what y'all's saying about Marantz, and tube amps and vintage strats and such. I love that stuff. I am a keyboard player (not a very good one) and I have several digital keyboards that make all the vintage reproduction sounds...but I also have among my instruments a real-deal original 1961-ish Hammond M3 tonewheel organ like Booker T used to play (and you guys would approve: Got it at Savers for $100)...with its built-in tube amp. I run my keyboards through various guitar effects pedals and the Electro Harmonix tube-driven analog ones sound way more "alive" than the digital ones.

I guess I feel speakers don't age well and it's a waste to run that warm-fuzzy vintage gear through 1968 speakers, it's like cutting a watermelon with a dull knife. And agree there's only a few brands worth buying in 2012, most is crap crap crap tuned to harsh digital output and sounding like rocks being shaken in a metal garbage can. As you say Frenchy, B&Ws are to die for. But not 1968 B&Ws in my thinking (but I don't think you're a jerk for liking them -- it's all personal preference I agree). More like pump that vintage marantz through 2007 B&Ws some fickle audiophile dumped on Craigslist for 90% off retail even though they are in mint state because he wants The New Flavor of The Week he read about in Stereopile.

But I don't want to argue merits of this or that -- I was just curious about the wireheads' reason for paying so much for vintage speakers. I can see what you're saying, and I also can see someone wanting a particular old speaker that replaces one in a vintage Fender amp because it's "correct" and the person can say it's properly restored and get more $$$ for it. Those are sound economic reasons even though I'd not put my money into it myself.

I can't stand Joe Walsh but this is a great song to cap off this discussion:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

15. chiron

chiron Senior member

Did you make sure to get your card stamped?

I would return the ties...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.