• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyakku

Reaction score

^ ehh i think you got it backwards my dude, don't sweat the label. fit comes first (think of it as a threshold question before you even begin the inquiry), then styling, then you consider quality.
everyone on here gets hard-ons over old-ass high-end labels, when in reality they'd probably look better by walking into j crew and plunking down $400 or whatever for a made in china suit.
EDIT: watch the Put This On video where Jesse goes thrifting with the Street Etiquette dudes. i'd bet money that those SE dudes would s**t all over (almost) anyone in this thread in terms of style, but one thing that stood out to me is the fact that they gave exactly zero f**ks about labels. all they cared about was whether or not the piece looked cool and whether or not it would fit correctly after tailoring.

True, it was more like I thought I found like a Corneliani Linea Sartoriale and then found out that I actually picked up just a regular Corneliani or something. Still a great find, but just a tinge of disappointment. I do agree that the SE dudes have the right idea in mind in terms of fit / tailoring, but at the same time since we're thrifting might as well try for the quality in terms of construction and brands :D

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nope. Last night we went out for my birthday dinner. While waiting for a table we were sitting at the bar and Ric comes up and asks if I'd do an errand for him. He been had a few glasses of wine So Obvioulsy I couldn't say anything other than "hell yea, anything for Ric flair" and then he threw me the keys to that machine and sent me on my way

so, in other words, you just LOOK like a valet parker.:D

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nope. Last night we went out for my birthday dinner. While waiting for a table we were sitting at the bar and Ric comes up and asks if I'd do an errand for him. He been had a few glasses of wine So Obvioulsy I couldn't say anything other than "hell yea, anything for Ric flair" and then he threw me the keys to that machine and sent me on my way

Were you with an attractive girl/date? This is an old trick that some guys do to get a girls number or get a ****. I know Dennis Rodman and he used to do something similar, guys would be star struck and he'd have them move his car somewhere that took 10-15 minutes because he was drunk. By the time the guy came back, his girl was 5cm dilated.

bytor13

Reaction score
You never know what you're going to find and where. Was pretty shocked to find this at my local thrift today on my way home.

I just found some Vivienne Westwood pants today, as luck would have it! I'll post some pics of them and my haul tomorrow.

DeadBoy

Reaction score
You never know what you're going to find and where. Was pretty shocked to find this at my local thrift today on my way home.

Damn, that's awesome!

No thrift finds as of late. My only brag is going to the recent VV 50% off sale and coming out alive. I saw... things.

workthatwedo

Reaction score
Hickey Freeman Khaki Suit
95% Cotton 5% Cashmere
Size 40R

Corneliani Gray Herringbone Suit
(started as an orphan coat but shout out to my wife for finding the mate)
Super 100's Wool
Size 54 Italian

Double pleated and cuffed trousers

Last edited:

Greg613

Reaction score

Is humor advisable in ebay listings? Or is this just weird?

Listen to Spoo, he knows his stuff. That being said, I think that is hilarious and would be more willing to buy something from a seller with a personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads