Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:laugh:

You're not the only one, then! Not a bad thing though. Hester knows his stuff!

Nope, never. Always had 7 days cash back with tags/sticker attached. After that though, you're screwed.

Cool - thanks for the info. I had no idea on value of these since there's so little to go by out there. You're right, they sound amazing but it seems that their use is so limited as they have special connectors that can only be used for the Beocenter system.

2. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Oddly enough, the Orange County GW's only accept returns on electronics, but in LA you have the usual week as long as you have the receipt and it still has the color tag on it.

If it wasn't for the 1 week return policy, a lot of my wardrobe department friends would die trying to find clothes for low budget films.

3. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Saw that exact same shirt recently. You aren't in Denver, are you?

4. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Same. None of the SAs in the area take returns, very few of the smaller thrifts do as well, and the GW only takes returns within 7 days for store credit.

5. acosbysweater

Secondary note, who the eff bothers returning things to a thrift store? I can count on one hand the times I've returned something to a store in general....Just chalk it up as a mistake and move on.

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

That Dunn & Co is side vented, huh? I've handled 2 Dunn & Co. HTs just like that one, and I agree that the quality on them was amazing (hand stitched lapel like yours, narrow lapels for the age, super heavy/well constructed, and side vented). Dunn & Co. (at least for tweeds) seems underrated IMO.

Also, wish I had the cajones to try pulling off that Orvis since it's my size. But alas, I shall remain cajone-less.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

Went out this evening... First the non-clothing finds.

A made in Italy wood personal valet. I passed on one of these a couple months ago and regretted it. This one's in better condition and has cool casters on the bottom. The metal balls on the end of the pants bar at the top pull out with metal rods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also a cool bamboo parasol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also left behind a snuff suede weekender... Made by / for Marlboro. Very heavy. I'm still not sure if I should have picked it up.

Picked up this cool Leather Man surcingle belt with geckos on it. I wish it fit me, but it's only a 30, so it's available

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the best thing I found was this HF with Loro Piana Super 120's (really Super 130's) fabric. I noticed it first because this is exactly the same fabric on the Pal Zileri Lab blazer I found. I'm guessing that one is LP Super 120's too although it wasn't tagged as such. The HF is about a 38 Long and available, but get at me soon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shoulder seam to shoulder seam: 17.5"
    Back from the bottom of the collar: 32"
    Pit to pit: 21"
    Waist at the first button: 20"
    Sleeve from the top of the shoulder: 26" with 1.5" to be let out
    Single vented, 2 button

Pants waist, side to side: 16"
    Inseam: 32" with 3.5" to be let out by losing the cuff
    Double pleated, 1.5" cuff

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012

8. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG] seriously... but if I said that to start with someone would be giving me a hard time for some reason or another. But you said it, so I can agree!!

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

HSM Gold Trumpeter SC Dark Blue Windowpane Plaid, unvented. 39R

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tom James Innocenti Oro SC Olive Green windowpane plaid, pick stitched 3 button, center vented. 39R
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Old Burberry's Camel Hair Plaid, pressed leather buttons, 42R
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Yep, Double vented, has a small hole in the sleeve, going to take it in to mend. Totally worth it. BTW forgot, ....its 40R

11. frenchytoo

frenchytoo Senior member

Nataku,you only need the DIN connectors on the speakers end.once you have them you can connect them to any receiver by splicing the wires or using whatever connectors your receive uses.
    they are fairly cheap and can be bought on ebay,once you have them though always keep them even if you sell your speakers bevcuse you never know when the next speakers will come along and you will need them again.

12. frenchytoo

frenchytoo Senior member

13. acosbysweater

Frenchy, you post an obscene amount of speakers and other audio equipment. Outside of bringing your own wiring and rigging things up in the store, how do you verify that they work, or are worth investing in having fixed? By the brand name exclusively? I've never seen B&O or Paridigm speakers in a thrift, though I might leave them if they looked to be in cosmetically rough shape, with the idea being that the innards are probably as damaged.

14. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Tom James Suit, Navy Nailhead with chalkstripe, Pleated/Cuffed pants 41R 30/31

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

15. 951socal

951socal Senior member

i was in the area anyways so i thought i'd try the 7 day cash policy back. oh well, If it wasn't for that policy i would not have picked up the jeans i did.
    Mistake wasn't too bad, im going to be way more picky when it comes to these things now, and probably pass up on the electronics

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.