1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrdeep2001

mrdeep2001 Senior member

Schlesinger Zip top brief bag-a-ma-bob?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Is there a bigger ass stain than Nick Wooster? This dude's looks are 100% herb. Any why the fuck is he always just walking around? Find somewhere and stay there for a while broham. Although HansderHun disappoints me greatly by not looking like Peter Pan (as I imagine all Austrians should), he's obviously and infinitely better dressed than Wooster.

My experience with thrift store workers leads me to invariably believe that they are generally at risk for type 2 diabeetus. So with regards to the doughnuts, I urge caution. Sugar diabetes are a curse, not a gift. Maybe consider healthy snacks?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  4. mainy

mainy Senior member

i hate hate hate thrifting on holiday sale days

so i only stopped by the one store today that was NOT having a sale
    and found maybe the nicest overcoat i've ever found, in amazing condition
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

picked up some deadstock USA made bass weejuns too
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not bad for 5 minutes in and out

5. tben

tben Senior member

Apparently the creative director (or whatever) at JC Penney now. Maybe he can just walk around different Penney's stores?

6. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

+10000 the "woost god" is wack he is part of the enormous jc penny company fuck up that is hailed as a creative business decision

7. caseyfud

caseyfud Senior member

Wooster isn't even a designer or anything, SW&D had a short thread on his new work at JCP that I thought was kind of interesting, even if it was only 14 posts long.

8. CesarC

CesarC Senior member

Hey fellas, looking for an authenticity check. Judging by this I'm thinking it's a legit mid-eighties piece, but I'm a little wary since I rarely find such stuff near me. Very nice trousers with pick stitching and "Gucci" in white-on-white on the waistband, but not posting more in case I decide it should go to my Secret Santa recipient...

[​IMG]

9. grendel

grendel Senior member

Go for it. I don't find myself wearing suits much as gorgeous as that is, so...

10. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

[​IMG]

Wow, these are so damn rare!

SWoon! [​IMG] That pumpkin spice...If you ever get sick of them, hit me up!

See, some times nice guy finishes first.

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Are those old made in the USA weejuns made of better leather than the pleather they use now?

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Short answer? Yes.

13. tben

tben Senior member

That's real. And old.

14. Steve Kane

Steve Kane Senior member

I stopped by a store on my way home from picking up a new coffee table and grabbed a couple of things.

First, a pair of vintage American Optical Calobar's. I love these but they are too big for my head. Very unfortunate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second is this unbranded field watch. It looks like a Timex, but I can't find any markings to confirm/deny. Does anyone have any idea? It looks good, so if it works I'll change the band and wear it, but if not, at least I'm not out much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

interesting posts. while I think the company is headed in the wrong direction if it wants to remain profitable and play to its base customer (think lots of polyester print shirts and cargo shorts), I enjoy seeing there new product in what I expect to be a short lived attempt at "hipness" check out this blatant barbour rip off that I wouldn't mind owning http://www.jcpenney.com/dotcom/jsp/...=false&catId=Bag&quantity=1&ppId=pp5001540180
    in-fact I am thinking about selling my linnesdale as it is a little large and buying one (or three) of the the jc penny versions with the extra cash I just need to handle one in the store first
    I think wooster is acting more as a figurehead than an actual product developer he represents the new "hip" jc penny but will likely not play an active roll in the creative process so he can just stroll around trying to look cool in thom browne and getting into even further debt

16. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Um, are you completely clueless? He's actually been employed in the fashion industry for many years and is a super humble dude. He's from SALINA, Kansas. Do you know how small of a town that is? He isn't some Upper East Side old money turd with a trust fund. He came from nothing, blue collar as it gets. He doesn't peacock around Pitti like numerous nascent bloggers. He's actually expressed confusion as to why people bother to take his photo so often and wishes he wasn't considered a "style icon." He just happens to be a handsome dude who understands how to dress well for his body type.

Face it, this whole obsession we have with expensive used clothes is escapism at its finest, we're trying to look as rich as we can on a budget. We are all more or less "herb".

17. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

Man, you guys have been tearing it up lately....!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

Haven't had as much time the last couple of weeks to thrift as much as i usually like to, but here are some of my finds from
    the last couple of weeks:

(sorry some of the pics came in sideways, deleted and re-added several times to no avail...)

30W PRL Corneliani gray FF pants...only wish they were my size...(anyone w/ a 30w got some or similar in 34W? lol)....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

44/38L Charcoal 3 button made in USA PRL suit,,,,(spot is from camera)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BB 42L Pink seersucker jacket , sweet MOP buttons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not as old as some of the coats you guys posted last week, but some tradly FF pants w/ side adjusters from J Press, dated 1966, appx. 32 w x30, thought they were interesting and someone might want, available...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty sweet Burberry London SC, my size, feels like a silk blend,
    made in USA so probably HF but no inside maker or size tag, keeping...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Canali Navy Suit, FF pants but unfortunately unvented, fairly recent from 2006, 52 EU

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my 3 best finds over the last couple of weeks, 1st, Hermes tie..appears real but would like confirmation...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stefano Ricci Shirt, Size L, keeping..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

NWT/Deadstock Willis & Geiger Wool Pants 36 W, probably keeping for now...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. grendel

grendel Senior member

[​IMG]New Old Stock W&G?

Put it on eBay with a BIN price of "Just leave the check blank and make it out to cash"

19. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Ian, if you don't pursue architecture, why not go to the Fashion Institute of Technology in NYC? You seem to have a real interest in it.

My cousin and his wife both attended (he was there in the mid-1970s, can you imagine a more interesting time to live have lived there?)

Anyway, just a thought for you to consider.

20. 330CK

330CK Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.