• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcb9

Reaction score
Ha, yeah I do have a Michael Phelps-esque build with ridiculously wide shoulders and generally weird proportions (I take 20" shoulders on a 41" chest/35" pants waist), so it's always tough for me to find jackets that fit *just right*, and even when they do they still LOOK like they don't fit me. Thanks for the feedback!!
I feel your pain. 40R jackets fit me well in the shoulders and chest but I could fit pillows around my waist and button the jacket and you would never know (32-33 inch waist). Like the advice from another poster about the sack suits. May have to give that a try.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sure, whatcha got?

Sadly the days that I use to find stuff that I considered worthy are long gone, SF has ruined it for me. I could clear the local GW of the Boss suits and Armani tripe but this town doesn't have the base to find the stuff worth the effort of posting pics. Once in a while I see some 40+ year old very well made item but people of yore tended to be more refined in thier girth than the likes of myself so I sadly pass on these items that I would like to pick up. Back to the gym I go.

I was just more commenting upon scrolling through 2 pages without any finds. Save for the odd breast wallet thread, pink tie or spagatti event this thread provides more than most others.

Last edited:

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recent finds:

Ties -

Skinny BB Apples, Skinny Unlined Tartan Wool, Talbott Navy Wool, Valentino Green Paisley

Pants -

Bills Flat Front (M3 - 31)
Bills Flat Front (M1 - (34)
Orvis Flat Front Brown Herringbone (36)

BB Madras - (N/A)

Shirts (in order of approximate size) -

- Gant Plaid (S)
- Contrast Collar APC (S)
- Canali Blue/Brown Check (15)
- Solid White Battaglia of Beverly Hills (15.5)
- (Old) Burberry Tan Safari/Work Shirt (L)
- J. Lindeberg Black Embroidered (L)
- Steven Alan Plaid (L)
- BLue J Press OCBD (16)
- Blue J Press Glen Plaid (16)
- Lavender Gant Chambray (16.5)
- White Eton (16.5)
- Zegna White/Gold Stripe (16.5)
- Lorenzini Green Stripe (16.5)
- Paul & Shark Made in Italy Orange Linen (16.5)
- Zegna Solid Cream/White/Ivory (17)
- Red/White Turnbull & Asser (17 - wildes T&A shirt I've seen)
- (New) Burberry London Check Shirt (XL)
- RRL Yellow Super Soft Cotton Work Shirt (XXL)

Charcoal Prada Coat (42)

BBGF Navy Flannel Pinstripe Suit (38)

Other than the BB Madras pants, everything is available.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Recent finds:

Ties -

Skinny BB Apples, Skinny Unlined Tartan Wool, Talbott Navy Wool, Valentino Green Paisley

Pants -

Bills Flat Front (M3 - 31)
Bills Flat Front (M1 - (34)
Orvis Flat Front Brown Herringbone (36)

BB Madras - (N/A)

Shirts (in order of approximate size) -

- Gant Plaid (S)
- Contrast Collar APC (S)
- Canali Blue/Brown Check (15)
- Solid White Battaglia of Beverly Hills (15.5)
- (Old) Burberry Tan Safari/Work Shirt (L)
- J. Lindeberg Black Embroidered (L)
- Steven Alan Plaid (L)
- BLue J Press OCBD (16)
- Blue J Press Glen Plaid (16)
- Lavender Gant Chambray (16.5)
- White Eton (16.5)
- Zegna White/Gold Stripe (16.5)
- Lorenzini Green Stripe (16.5)
- Paul & Shark Made in Italy Orange Linen (16.5)
- Zegna Solid Cream/White/Ivory (17)
- Red/White Turnbull & Asser (17 - wildes T&A shirt I've seen)
- (New) Burberry London Check Shirt (XL)
- RRL Yellow Super Soft Cotton Work Shirt (XXL)

Charcoal Prada Coat (42)

BBGF Navy Flannel Pinstripe Suit (38)

Other than the BB Madras pants, everything is available.
Nice Haul, BBGF should do **** on AAAC (undarted 3 roll 2?)... those BB Madras look pretty tiny and kick ass!
musicboohoo[1].gif

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Frenchy is Frenchy

It's about time! Post some nice and interesting stuff, dude.

Today's cool (IMHO) find. Deadstock, never worn Cloud Club shoes. Name is registered in 1961, not clear how long they were sold. Claim to (non) fame is they did put a pillow in the heel area made up of cellulose so you are supposed to feel like walking over the clouds. Made in the good old US of A, and roughly equal in quality to mainline Florsheims of the era. Pretty comfortable. 14.99 plus tax.

Last edited:

lastdonb

Reaction score
Yesterday, new GW next to big retirement are (Sun City) on west side of Phoenix (couple of college baseball games to umpire, 5pm start, 108 degrees)

An asian businessman either died or donated a bunch of clothes, 4-5 suits from Robert Chen of Hong Kong (was kinda of confused and thought of W.W. Chan) but bought a sport coat that is about a 39-40 but I think had coffee spilled on it and has some interesting MOP buttons:

Takashimaya of Tokyo Tux, fully canvassed unvented, heavy, about a 40 slimfit. (available)

PTP 21 waist 19 at button. Sleeve 24.50 + 1.5, Shldr 18, length 29...Pants 32x31 + 1.75

A like new pair of Johnston&Murphy Signature series made in Italy black loafers 12M (available)

Couple of belts:

Dooney & Bourke surcingle canvas/chino (sizes to a 36, could be a womens ) further review it is a mans and am keeping.... and a Trafalgar of Conn. (merlot sz 38) available (good shape):

First pair of braces, made in England, 100% silk black:

32x30 hand rolled silk scarf by Beckford Silk Ltd.

First Zanella shirt, marked L. 16 x 37/38 (available)

PTP 24, sleeve 25.5 Hidden button down collar, left collar button missing

Great condition Zegna XL with XL MOP buttons that are also hidden button down collar. 17½ x 38 (available)

Last edited:

lastdonb

Reaction score

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote: Was gonna slam you for "taking" AE's photo but then I saw the JAB trees. Nice shot! This photo looks better than some on AE's website.

I've gotten a number of PM's about the light box I made. I'll call it "thrifted" so I can brag about it here.... I've posted it before but here's the picture again.

The photos of the shoes were taken outdoors with natural light as its MUCH better then light bulbs. If your going to shoot indoors, make sure to get full spectrum bulbs. All it is is a box, cut out 3 sides, use either tissue paper or a very thin white T-shirt or sheet. Just something to break up the light so it is not harsh. I use the back side of wrapping paper for my background. If I did it over. I would make it bigger though. Tape is "thrifted" from the USPS store
peepwall[1].gif

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am shocked many of you do not enter consignments!

Are we not all discount hunters here as well?

Some of my consignment finds over the years:
- I remember well picking up a Hermes suit still NWT with boutique tags for a not so thrifty 500 dollars but a dang sight cheaper than getting it somewhere else!
- How about a NWT Gucci suit for $350?
- How about a pair of Lobbs lightly worn for $200?

Of course, consignments are also a bargain hunters trap with numerous overpriced old suits / shirts as well, but you can find deals with a little luck.

I do feel many consignments have a higher knowledge of womans clothing or just pure fashion stuff over good quality more trad mens brands. I have seen Versace well overpriced over Kiton or Brioni. Recent trip saw a Versace suit with an astonishing price tag of $700 while a Kiton suit had a tag of $450. Both second hand. The Versace was just a Versace Collection piece, nothing outrageous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads