• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LURK MOAR bro. You have so many either completely wrong or mostly wrong conceptions that I really think you would gain a great deal by reading more of the thread. I've never bought anything at a consignment store ever. So yes, my 8x Oxxford suits, Kiton suit, multiple brioni SCs, henry Poole suit, 4x aldens, etc were all bought at thrift prices, and most other posters have done the same. It's regular conduct to identify consignment finds separately, and everything else is assumed thrifted.
worship2.gif
bounce2.gif
fistbump.gif
eek.gif
fing02[1].gif

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let me know if you find any around a 34 - 36 x 30+

Will do, though this is the first pair I've ever come across.

LURK MOAR bro. You have so many either completely wrong or mostly wrong conceptions that I really think you would gain a great deal by reading more of the thread. I've never bought anything at a consignment store ever. So yes, my 8x Oxxford suits, Kiton suit, multiple brioni SCs, henry Poole suit, 4x aldens, etc were all bought at thrift prices, and most other posters have done the same. It's regular conduct to identify consignment finds separately, and everything else is assumed thrifted.

+1,0000, I've actually never bought anything from a consignment store either, however, the recent suits and sport coats I've posted (that Etro, those custom Corneliani's etc) have come from a boutique thrift store where they price jackets and suits anywhere from $15-$200. Does that count? Everything they receive is donated and their profits go to a local children's hospital.

goneAWOL

Reaction score
ja eine lange zeit,du hast recht.
aber ich war immer hier...incognito oder so kann mann sagen

The only good thing to come out of this thread in the last 24 hours. Glad to have you back
fistbump.gif
!

On a side note, may I remind people that there is a "block member" button (I just mentally block). Ignoring people may be a more effective way to make people go away than arguing, and it takes up fewer posts.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Asking this on behalf of another member:

If a person has shoulders that are 19", is a jacket that measures 19.25" too big, or acceptable. I have 21" shoulders, so .25-.5" more doesn't look strange, but it may on narrower frames.

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, moving on...

CASUAL FRIDAY thrift fit. In reality, I just wanted to show off my awesome first pair of selvedge. This is my first attempt at a SW&D-ish fit, so be gentle noobizor, acosbysweater, et. al.

Shirt: Zara Man (I know, I know, it's probably looked down upon here, but it's my guilty pleasure brand. Anytime I see it in my size, I'll pick it up. I don't know what it is about them, but i love the way their stuff is cut/fits me, and their patterns/styling.)
Pants: NWOT Simon Miller M001 straight leg Japanese selvedge jeans (my first pair!!!)
Shoes: Cole Haan glove leather shoes with Nike Air soles

Shirt, shoes thrifted (~$5, $13 respectively), jeans ebay ($75).

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alright, moving on...

CASUAL FRIDAY thrift fit. In reality, I just wanted to show off my awesome first pair of selvedge. This is my first attempt at a SW&D-ish fit, so be gentle noobizor, acosbysweater, et. al.

Shirt: Zara Man (I know, I know, it's probably looked down upon here, but it's my guilty pleasure brand. Anytime I see it in my size, I'll pick it up. I don't know what it is about them, but i love the way their stuff is cut/fits me, and their patterns/styling.)
Pants: NWOT Simon Miller 001 straight leg Japanese selvedge jeans (my first pair!!!)

I really like that shirt. However I could never pull it off, with my current physical shape. Maybe soon.
It would be all warped looking like this.
thumbnail.aspx

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asking this on behalf of another member:

If a person has shoulders that are 19", is a jacket that measures 19.25" too big, or acceptable. I have 21" shoulders, so .25-.5" more doesn't look strange, but it may on narrower frames.

18.5" is perfect for me but I can do 18-19" without it looking off

Randy

Reaction score

Alright, moving on...

CASUAL FRIDAY thrift fit.  In reality, I just wanted to show off my awesome first pair of selvedge.  This is my first attempt at a SW&D-ish fit, so be gentle noobizor, acosbysweater, et. al.  

Shirt: Zara Man (I know, I know, it's probably looked down upon here, but it's my guilty pleasure brand.  Anytime I see it in my size, I'll pick it up.  I don't know what it is about them, but i love the way their stuff is cut/fits me, and their patterns/styling.)
Pants: NWOT Simon Miller M001 straight leg Japanese selvedge jeans (my first pair!!!)

Great look! nojomo

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score

^^^ Looks good. It's hard to tell re: the shoes, though. From your other Thrift Fits, I always thought that your jackets' shoulders were a little big and their length a little long, but here it just seems like you actually do have broad shoulders and a long torso. Like a swimmer.
smile.gif

AndroFan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, yeah I do have a Michael Phelps-esque build with ridiculously wide shoulders and generally weird proportions (I take 20" shoulders on a 41" chest/35" pants waist), so it's always tough for me to find jackets that fit *just right*, and even when they do they still LOOK like they don't fit me. Thanks for the feedback!!

^^^ Looks good.  It's hard to tell re: the shoes, though.  From your other Thrift Fits, I always thought that your jackets' shoulders were a little big and their length a little long, but here it just seems like you actually do have broad shoulders and a long torso.  Like a swimmer.  :)

Last edited:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a poster here in their signature that is looking for 46XL suits. Grendel hooked me up with Hickey Freeman charcoal grey suit made with Loro Piana cloth. I've dropped some weight so it hangs a bit more now. I figured I'd offer it up here a keep it in the family.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There is a poster here in their signature that is looking for 46XL suits. Grendel hooked me up with Hickey Freeman charcoal grey suit made with Loro Piana cloth. I've dropped some weight so it hangs a bit more now. I figured I'd offer it up here a keep it in the family.
Mexicutioner I think....and Hoofit

Last edited:

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was Hoofit...

Send me. PM if you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads