• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

creampiggy

Reaction score
I also found a Rubinacci shirt the otherr day. But the quality doesn't look that good. Is there fake Rubinacci stuff or is there another brand with the same label?

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I found a black, Brooks Brothers 100% cashmere sport coat today. It doesn't look like it's ever been worn (or if it has, it wasn't worn very hard). It's pockets are still sewn shut and the extra buttons are still in their little plastic bag in the breast pocket.

Unfortunately, it's a 46L, whereas I'm a 40-42L, so I'll put it up in the trading thread. Hopefully someone wants it despite the SF adversion to black. It's a beautiful coat and for $8, I thought I would pick it up in case any of you were interested.

I also got a pair of rather nice Bostonian monkstraps to wear places that I should refrain from wearing my similar Church's, and a pocket square.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Found a good brand yesterday!!!

img2163.jpg

Go ON.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Looks like a tie.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
^ Looks like a tie.

Yup! A dated tie at that... too embarrassed to post the whole thing. It's kind of wide... like almost 4" wide!
blush.gif
confused.gif

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Yup! A dated tie at that... too embarrassed to post the whole thing. It's kind of wide... like almost 4" wide!
blush.gif
confused.gif

Hold on to it. It'll be back!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ +1 Found a few nice things at the Goodwill today - Hilditch & Key shirt - Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece wool/silk houndstooth sportcoat (48R). First GF I've found. It's all 346 and Brooksease otherwise. - NWT women's Jil Sander long jacket-blazer-dress hybrid thing. I'll probably flip it, unless anyone here has a wife who takes a 38 Euro size in Jil.
DSC03317.jpg
DSC03318.jpg
DSC03319.jpg

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the GF find. It is quite large though! Hehe.

I managed to pick up a pair of Brown Johnston & Murphy Crown Aristocraft Punch Cap oxfords for $30 shipped off ebay. Fits perfectly and looks like it was only worn a handful of times. The only issue I see is that there is a tiny bit of edge dressing on the upper, but it's on the arch of the waist which no one but me would ever see. Wearing them right now.

JaPo

Reaction score
I just don't understand this ****.

Are you cats simply browsing in bog-standard charity shops and picking up Rubinacci sport coats, or are 'thrift stores' a total different thing.

I had a browse around several charity shops in Brighton (UK) recently, and yielded no results. There was not a single thing which had tags, nor ANY quality brands. Most of the tripe lining the walls were massive M&S dress shirts. Going for the same price as your Brioni dress shirts. Yum.

Admittedly, I don't have a lot of time on my hands to really scour the shops. However, I've never seen anything of the sort in my local Oxfam. My dad claims to have seen three pairs of Loake brogues in a large store but they disappeared pretty sharpish. There is a hipster shop which sounds more like your bag, with a vast collection of sport coats and flannel shirts, but it's not as cheap.

Could any UK users back me up? Is thrifting just not the same in old Blighty...

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JaPo
I just don't understand this ****.

Are you cats simply browsing in bog-standard charity shops and picking up Rubinacci sport coats, or are 'thrift stores' a total different thing.

I had a browse around several charity shops in Brighton (UK) recently, and yielded no results. There was not a single thing which had tags, nor ANY quality brands. Most of the tripe lining the walls were massive M&S dress shirts. Going for the same price as your Brioni dress shirts. Yum.

Admittedly, I don't have a lot of time on my hands to really scour the shops. However, I've never seen anything of the sort in my local Oxfam. My dad claims to have seen three pairs of Loake brogues in a large store but they disappeared pretty sharpish. There is a hipster shop which sounds more like your bag, with a vast collection of sport coats and flannel shirts, but it's not as cheap.

Could any UK users back me up? Is thrifting just not the same in old Blighty...

Depends where you "thrift". I find the best bargains are around the suburbs of London. I've found *plenty* of gems but then again I don't do a 9-5 job so I'm always popping in and out of my local charity shops.

It really is a question of luck and timing. If you do a 9 - 5 job and you only get to charity shops at the weekend then you're unlikely to find anything of value...

Also certain less established (read shady) charity shops clearly keep the good stuff for themselves or put them on ebay. There are a couple of these where I live so I never bother visiting them. In fact, I think a lot of these kind of shops are money laundering outfits (but then I'm paranoid :p)

hipcathobbes

Reaction score
sport coat/orphaned jacket. i usually wear smaller than 42R but the shoulders are perfect and imagine my tailor can work the fit elsewhere.

brand tag cut out, "made in italy," cross-referenced the maker's tag against the identify the tag thread, looks like corneliani for ralph lauren blue label? (especially given the "blue label" designation on the maker tag...) anyone care to confirm?

dude at the store told me it was "jos a. bank, i have one just like it," i thought, that's unlikely, since there's pick stitching and it passes the chest-canvassing pinch test; not sure about full canvassing (seems like a no?).

i figure, one dry cleaning (it's a little fuzzy now with lint) and a trip to the tailor later, this should be pretty sweet. all for $14, too.

DSCN1312.jpg

DSCN1315.jpg

JaPo

Reaction score
Yep. That's Walmart Blue Label.

@Steve:
Unfortunately I'm still in school so the whole early morning thing doesn't really work. I'll keep at it though.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece wool/silk houndstooth sportcoat (48R). First GF I've found. It's all 346 and Brooksease otherwise.
DSC03318.jpg

Nice find! I love teh Golden Fleece....

Today I found a really cool Hardie & Amies brown double-vented suit with front pockets at 45 degree angles upwards... very cool. And also found a Zegna Soft sportcoat - 10% cashmere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics