The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I don't really see the purpose in pricing everything we post here. We already know approximately how much everything costs at GW or SA.

However, I think it would be really interesting to post prices with Thrift Fits to see who can do the most with the least. (Alterations, cleaning, and repairs should also be included to get an accurate total for how much was spent to achieve the Thrift Fit.)

Kind of related, but not really... My mother does this thing where she prepares and serves dinner and then asks us to guess how much it cost to prepare / person served. She's always been a good cook, keeps a garden, and is part of a group that chips in and buys a whole cow (or pig or deer or whatever) and then takes a share of the meat once it's butchered. It's amazing what she can do for .85 to $3 / person.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I don't even know how to turn mine on, but my wife does magical things with this.

Also, I kind of want to give my kid to my parents for a weekend and do a tour of my old haunts for 48 hours straight. You guys are giving me the itch. I wish I took pics of the shit I used to find.

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

I'll throw my hat in the ring for being O'Connor, even if that means I'm retired: I try to see the merits of both sides, bring people together and find consensus, but I'm not unwilling to put a stake in the ground for what I believe in, without regard for political alignment.

This is the part of the movie where you tell me how wrong and self-absorbed I am.

4. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Just a heads up, everyone: this thread is nearing post 40,000.

I think we need to turn down the suck, asap.

5. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked. It was, gulp, $75, more than I'm used to paying for anything at the thrift store, so I called my mom, who knows about such things and is the most frugal person I know. She said that she paid $80 for one from GW where she lives and this model, the Artisan, is nicer, having a bigger motor--in short, buy it. It has three shortcomings: The plastic thingy on the speed selection knob is missing, as is the cover for the attachment port at the front of the head (Mom calls it the belly button), and it's missing the standard paddle. Fortunately, Mrs. Pnutpug has an allegedly lesser version (i.e., smaller motor) with the paddle and a belly button that isn't the right color, but oh well--parts are widely available, and I can get the matching ones for not much money, I think, but it's unlikely I'll do it seeing as it's cosmetic only. Cruising eBay, it looks like I got a pretty good deal but not an over-the-top spectacular one, and I'm good with that. It's really nice to bring something home for a wife who has the patience of Job when it comes to tolerating my thrifting addiction.

6. eazye

eazye Senior member

Just picked some Murray's in Chicago. Perfect salmon color.

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Quote:
    Sure....not sure who your going to call this...

This is the thrift bragging thread. You brag about stuff you thrift. Pretty simple concept eh? If you brag when you get it, after you clean it, after you alter it, when its posted, after its sold, when your idiot ebay buyer complains it does not fit, or when ebay makes you refund you idiot buyer for no good reason, it does not matter. What matters to me at least are three important things:

1) That you are actually spending the time out there thrifting, taking the pictures and then coming to show all of us what you found. This thread should be about showing off what you found, NOT what your doing with it. Just because it has become common for sales/trades to take place behind the scenes does not factor into my interpretation of what this thread should ultimately be about

2) Dont ask stupid questions over and over like "how much is this worth" or "how much should I sell this for" unless it is something really really really unusual. D&G ties are not rare finds! [​IMG]

3) Some of us thirft for fun, some thrift for as a full time job and some do a combination of both. I'm always up for a great trade, and like I have expressed before I think selling something to someone on the thread at 30-50% off normal ebay prices is more then fair and a win-win for everyone. The org cost to purchase at the thrift store is irrelevant. Some guys go above and beyond and do cost plus shipping etc, and some basically just toss it on ebay and call it a day, using this as a pure bragging thread. Neither one of these are wrong and/or should be scolded as this is not a B&S or a Trade thread, but a bragging thread.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

[​IMG]

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ :laugh:

Im so stealth you would never find me. Just a pile of Haggar in my wake.

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

F*cking lawyers ruin everything, even thrifting cat-fights [​IMG]

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Let me know if you find any around a 34 - 36 x 30+

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Still Brianpore,

One exception to your rule......if you sell one of those barns, you have to post the link to brag about the sale.

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG]

14. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

My 2 cents on the aforementioned issue.
    A) I don't really want to hear about shit you sold on Ebay as a whole
    B) If YOU buy something for $10 and sell it for 2.5k I want to hear about it, or for that matter 1K+
    C)Posting prices is necessary if you got a great item really cheap, because that is the entire essence of why you can boast in the first place, ANYONE can buy a Kiton suit for 7K, almost NO ONE is lucky enough to find one for less than $100.
    D)It's sad that anyone feels like posting prices might not be a good idea... This is a thrift thread, so everyone should assume you paid ~20 or less per item, and how much you paid for it should have 0 effect on what you offer, or are offered, because that impacts the theoretical items value NONE.
    E) WTF is up with people just essentially carrying on conversations with one another in thread? Take that shit to PM (Barrelntrigger) I hate to single any one out, but you post like 9,000 times a day and none of it is clothing you found.

F) I got a corneliani SC that I probably should've passed on today for $5, a pair of bills for $2, pair of recent sammy pants for $2, 2 pair of black cotton casual, unicorns for $1/per, and a pair of HF pants for $2 today. PICS TO FOLLOW IM STILL AT WORK, so lemme 'lone.

15. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.