The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amadar

amadar Senior member

+1 bajillion. I keep this info to myself.

2. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

to play devil's advocate: please distinguish the cited post from the acosbysweater/Spoo gucci loafers line of posts.

3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I think it was Scalia who said it when asked to distinguish two indistinguishable cases: "I don't". Honestly, I could have lived without the "git muney" part of the Gucci loafers event. And even if it wasn't acceptable once but still happened anyway, I'd say my point still stands: I'd be sincerely disappointed if this turned into a trend. Reasonable minds can clearly disagree.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  4. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

That had also crossed my mind, but I'm otherwise staying out of this.

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Look at post #1. None of the posts I have read going back months have followed the original intent. When you post a brag, post how much you paid and stop being pussies.

6. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

7. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

No one is objecting to you posting about how much you paid. It's the fact that you're basically only posting, after the fact, your ebay sales for the week that I'm objecting to.

But feel free to keep at it just as you are. Just know that there are a lot of people who have a serious aversion to the pure flipping mentality, and it's shit like this that has driven a lot of the good trading behind the scenes. I consistently send and trade all of my best stuff to a group of 8-10 guys who are legitimately interested in clothes as opposed to maximizing pure profit, and I know many others do the same.

I pretty much only post my leftovers anymore. I guess I'm fine with being a pussy.

8. mexicutioner

:D

:stirpot:

9. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Thanks. This is a thrift/discount store bragging thread. Making hand over fist back on an investment seems like a worthy point to brag about. You might be at a station in your life where your dayjob more than covers your living expenses and playtime, and thrifting is just another way to waste an evening. I'm never going to turn into the soulless human vaccuum who stacks dozens of jeans and shirts in his or her cart to flip for razor thin margins, but this is its own game for myself and others. I appreciate the challenge of the hunt and the rewards, both in friendship and in cash, that this can bring. I enjoy fooling myself into thinking I'm some sort of sartorial hustler. If you're only in this to impress yourself, then why bother posting about it? I'm not arguing for raw, cutthroat consumerism but when you knock one out of the park, regardless of the circumstances, bragging is in order. You've only seen me brag about one sale and I think that speaks for itself.

10. tben

tben Senior member

Wait...why does not posting how much one paid make one a pussy?

11. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

In regards to posting prices with finds:

- I like to see posts of finds with the word "available" or "unavailable" attached. Person brags about find, and by declaring said item(s) available, whomsoever likes the find(s) can inquire through PM system for trade or sale. If items are "unavailable", then where they go is none of our business.

- I think pricing is acceptable provided the thrifter just wants proxy or proxy + small profit to get rid of the finds quickly and easily. Opens up the possibility of favors and allows those that frequent these parts to get a good deal *. I am all for pricing very moderately in "finds related" posts if one wishes to spread the love. If needing real bucks or profit margins, leave price out and go to the Bay. Boasting about prices is cool if the item sells for way over estimate, i.e. gold buttons, Harris Tweed, or croc loafers. Boasting if an item sells for estimate is plain useless info.

* = footnote

* Spoo posted a pair of Zanellas for ridiculously cheap, and if he had just gone to the Bay or B&S, many regulars in this thread could have missed out on a swell deal.

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG] This is #1 on my non clothing thrift list (minus an org Declaration of Independence). Even nicer then that lime green? one from a few months ago!

13. mexicutioner

ok so here's the batting lineup so far:

Andro = Scalia. Fuck everything else, original intent is what matters.
    Klobber = Kennedy: says lots of stuff. ultimately goes with his gut.
    ATLNoob = Breyer. "there was never an original intent."
    acosbysweater = Roberts. should have recused himself on account of being personally invested in the debate. :rotflmao:

anyone else?

EDIT: the cosby/roberts analogy was meant as a dig at roberts, not as cos. :fistbump:

14. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Yeah, definitely don't want that post to get lost in the hubub. Those things are awesome. Now to just get some of the accessories (GIT DAT PASTA EXTRUDER)!

I want to see a Ginsburg-ian feminist perspective NAO.

15. mexicutioner

+1 on this being an awesome find. first thing you gotta do with that bad boy is learn to make your own butter. EPIC. :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.