1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

You could look into their recrafting service and get those puppies looking out-of-the-box fresh for the Bay or B&S. Since I've never looked into their recrafting service, I have no idea what that would entail, but it might be worth looking into.

Great find!

2. Mox C

Mox C Senior member

Maybe we should call that moment the "Lobb shit": the almost-bowel-movement brought on by the introduction of so much awesomeness into your personal space.

But seriously, congrats! Even with the less-than-stellar condition, that's a find to gloat over.
    The liner and soles look in good shape. I'll bet some TLC would do the uppers a world of good. Some of the crazing may be from old polish.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  3. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

picked up a pair of gucci loafers in pretty good condition and a pair of D&G croc (i think) shoes with ruined soles

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I am in wrong part of country for finding Lobbs, best shoes finds for me in CA have been Gaziano Girling and JM Weston. Both these shoe brands are way lower end than Lobbs.

I am jealous - I want to find me some Lobbs.....

Only place I ever found Lobbs was a GW in Little Rock AR, :sarcasm: .

Good finding though ACE, awesome :slayer::slayer:

5. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

If any of you Marshalls hounds see a Rag & Bone Philips Blazer sz 44 in black,brown or blue GET AT ME for proxy purposes. I tried one one at my Marshalls and it was dreamy. However, it was an earthtone, which I can't wear. I think they wanted $100 for it.

6. jlandman1

jlandman1 Member

Thanks for the tip, if the jackets are still there tomorrow I'll pick them up. Last month I thrifted this relatively recent North Face down jacket in a dull metallic blue color and I have already gotten much use out of it.

[​IMG]

7. khe86

khe86 Senior member

Maybe they are Bill Clinton's shoes!

8. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Sorry it took a few days, I've been having trouble with PhotoBucket, but here you go. Unfortunately the full length pic I took is corrupted. but these will give you the idea.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

They are an English 8E, so I think that translates into a 9D US. There were also a pair of loafers by Tanino Crisci, looked pretty much unworn. I wasnt familiar with the brand, but they were obviously high quality. Anyone know anyhing about them?

10. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

Nice find on those Lobbs, Ace. Picked up a few ties today:

Brioni x3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charvet x3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Corneliani, Zegna Cotton/Silk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keeping the Corneliani, rest are available.

11. green_machine

green_machine Senior member

^ i really like the corneliani. Beautiful!

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Casey: my pleasure. Hard to tell on blackberry, but looks like you did just fine.

Ace: omfg!! 10.5-11, get @ meh! EDIT: Sees size tag in shoe; Ace's subsequent post. Abandons all hope.

Klobber: "only" G&Gs? Srsly?

Noob: Those Alden loafs.... Resisting....

13. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

Damnit! How dare you find Lobbs in AR... Last time I was in LR I found some Church's haha.

14. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Senior member

Ive been staying away from ties lately cause when I would find something good, it would always turn up to be crap upon inspection.
    Anyway, decided to take a look today just cause....
    In near perfect condition with a minor snag on the keeper.
    Walked out with 5 items...this one was free...

Oxford Woven? Silk...
    [​IMG]
    Oh yeah, first one.

15. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Ace . Since those are big on you... They might work for me. I can drive up and take them off your hands if needed...I need to visit my mom anyway. :nodding:

16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Cooper Bomber (tagged 44, but there is no way....more like a 40

[​IMG]

Harris Tweed Top Coat 42-44ish
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hickey Freeman old label Cashmere/Wool Tweed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interesting McGregor Corduroy Coat
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Broad Herringbone Norfolk Tweed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Spectacular Glen Plaid Tweed Overcoat, sadly too small for me....likely a 40-42 or so.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Capn those cooper jackets def run small... Came across a A2 pilot jacket with goat leather in a 40r (my size) but the back of jacket didn't even reach my waist

18. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Related to thrifting, day of orphans for me. Some dude donated his whole dudage minus pants. Lots of suit jackets, solid or light pattern mainly mid grey.

Brands? Try Attolini, Borrelli, Canali, WW Chan, Lanvin 15 faubourg, and a few others... No Kiton and no Brioni, shame....

Prices? LOL, $45 and rising.

Condition? Not bad, Not great though.

Style? Recentish as in last 10 years.

Potential as Sport Coats? Little to none.

Chance of me finding pants? Zero because I am damned if I am going through 100's of pairs when most are so common a color (I aint gonna go through and turn every pants over - eff that).

Did I pick up anything? Yes I did, guy donated the sweetest Trussardi sport coat made by Partenopia. Also picked up the only orphan I could - that was the Borrelli one.

Why did I pick up the Borrelli? Because it was Navy with purple pinstripes - that is a rare color and my eyeballs will spot those pants a mile off on a rack (saves me the trouble of turning over 1000's of donated chinos and suit pants). I will be hitting all stores in that area that spread donations. I willl visit everyday for next 2/3 days to see if they come out. The only worry I have is that being a distinctive pattern will make it a target for folks that think "oh these fucking loud odd suit pants are precisely what I fucking need". With my paranoia, I can read that mind as "I am taking these pants because Klobber wants them", henceforth followed by nefarious cackling in 1980's cartoon type bad guy way......

I am 45bucks in, I better find the pants :plain:

19. Ken P

Ken P Senior member

My one find of the day:
    [​IMG]
    50% Camel Hair 50% Silk, Tag size 50 EU aka 40. Upon Further inspection it seems to be an orphan due a drop size on the tag. I figured due to the pattern and styling one of you gents would be interested in rocking it as an SC. Think it is a 40S, can someone remind me of the maker?
    [​IMG]
    Forgive the flash, but it seemed to capture the color best. Nonflash makes it out to be a warm brown, its closer to a cool mid brown with blue windowpane.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    P2P 22"
    Shoulder 19"
    Waist 20.5"
    Length BOC 30"

Now a couple questions:

Is this note worthy? Pretty positive it's not related to dunhill but it was a beautiful navy wool double breasted overcoat dated 1967. They wanted $25 for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Secondly, is this good Saville row or mediocre Saville Row?
    [​IMG]

Oh also, whats the approximate dates on Brooks Bros yellow font label?

20. DanM

DanM Senior member

Checking a brand off the thrift wish list is so awesome -

[​IMG]

There is a small stain on the collar I am 99% positive I can remove.

[​IMG]

Also found these Salvatore Ferragamo made in Italy penny loafers, size 9EE. The leather is so freaking supple. Possibly available for trade.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.