The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcb9

jcb9 Senior member

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

About the shell longwings? I was just debating with myself on that...

3. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I went to a couple of spots and pulled some SW&D. Everything is tentatively unavailable. Here are the highlights:

[​IMG]

^^^ L-R, T-B:

• Trovata brown & orange plaid button down collar dress shirt w/ hidden collar buttons.
    • Comme des Garcons Homme Plus lavender & white striped spread collar dress shirt w/ hidden button placket down the front. < The collar is sooo small.
    • Corpus beige & brown plaid button down collar dress shirt w/ hidden onseam pockets at the hips. (I picked this up the other day, but included it so I can cross post with the Official SW&D Thrift / Discount Store Bragging thread.)
    • Jil Sander solid white spread collar dress shirt. (I also picked this up the other day.)
    • Native Son solid white spread collar dress shirt w/ a thick dark horizontal teal stripe across the middle.
    • Wings + Horns solid blue button down collar dress shirt.
    • POLO by Ralph Lauren Italian made 3" wide foulard neck tie.
    • A Bathing Ape red t-shirt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^^^ Is this the "good" Trovata?

[​IMG]

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^^ That's a solid haul! Well done! W+H and Native Son are on still on my "to find" list.

5. Wizard Swears

Wizard Swears Well-Known Member

No, I'm not throwing my hat in the ring for those - I'm trying to cut down on stuff ATM, ha. I was just telling Stissius about my experiences with combat boots.

6. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ Thanks, Nat! [​IMG] All the SW&D stuff is just icing. There's a whole other haul of vintage and not-so-vintage BBGF and other MC stuff.

7. Nell

Nell Senior member

Typhoid killing the photos as usual....Unfortunately my apartment is more or less a cave, and my photos reflect that.

Small Polo Suede Leather Jacket. Made in China but retail is about 1k, so hoping to get a decent amount from the Bay. Smells like a homeless man's left nut though. I lightly febreezed it to no avail. Any insight on removing raunchy smells from leather?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

42L Henry Jacobson Hand Tailored. Almost left it, as it's made in China, but quality is good. Fully canvassed, double vented, 3 roll 2, soft shoulder. Roughly 1/3 each silk/linen/wool blend. Still has the basting in the shoulders/other parts of the jacket, and doesn't look to have been worn. Available to all you 42L guys (preferably for trade).
    [​IMG]

Obnoxious Polo madras shorts. Planning to rock these with an unstructured navy SC on our next wine tour/other events that call for regretful behavior.
    [​IMG]

8. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thrift fit:
    I know I'm not satisfied with: a) the pic quality (too grainy and white balance off); and b) the waist suppression (needs more). But both of these can be fixed. More troubling is the shoulders: They seem to be riding up, and I'm concerned they're too wide. I'm also cautiously optimistic that my tie/square/shirt combo isn't riotously offensive, but I'm still not sure I've really gotten that art down yet. Suit: Dunhill MTM, dark gray with purple overcheck; double vent, working surgeon cuffs Shirt: CT, french cuff, white Links: handmade Tie: HF Collection Square: Silk, handrolled in Italy, unknown origin Shoes: Cole Haan cap toe oxford 100% thrifted/discount stored/Ebayed by me, including socks and tee shirt (not pictured) [​IMG][​IMG]
    :fence: you guys on the PM to Stissius, I got him 30 seconds after post. Having worn yesterday the French Shriner wings I got from EasyE, I was surprised at their narrowness (despite being tagged my size). So I may need wings again, unfortunately....

9. saleen

saleen Member

Diggin those madras shorts! Would definitely wear them wine tasting while asking for double pours.

10. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

I had the same issue with the Hanover wings. They are much more narrow for a D width than the other brands I've worn. I'm more of an E width, but the Hanovers are very narrow for me. Still in the market for light brown wings as well.

11. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Hey Guys.

Been lurking SF for years but have recently made my way over here where the men are and the adrenaline flows.

I took my son to a nearby GW for some clothes for grad (grade 6 grad, so who wants to spend real money on it?) and in the space of 10 minutes got bit by the bug.

BTW, I live in a northern city, not what you'd call cosmopolitan but there's enough oil wealth sloshing around that people travel and consume conspicuously. So there appears to be some potential - though I don't think I'll be striking gold with Kiton suits.

First up, a standard issue Harris Tweed by St. Michaels for Marks & Spencer. Some nice colours and texture going on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And two minutes later, at the tail end of rifling the ties:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice to be here and looking forward to learning from some masters of the art.

FoB

12. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I passed on all the Mani and Le Collezioni. I like the Collezioni but it was worn down.

13. barrelntrigger

It was an orphaned Canali Tux jacket. It was a first one I've seen made for Bloomingdale. I guess I could of used it as a dinner jacket but I'm not that fancy...

I bought the BB Makers just because they were made in US. I now try to avoid the ones made in Malaysia if I'm having a good haul.

14. barrelntrigger

Oh man, it was HUGE! I bought those strictly for flipping.

15. barrelntrigger

I paid pretty decent prices for them especially for the shirts and ties. Out of all the haul, I'm keeping 2 ties, and a navy DB. All else available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.