The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:slayer:

Zippered stuff is tough, especially if it has a full cut. I'd use your best judgement between size and measurements to tell if it's mens or womens.

One find today, but I'm happy with it. Need to do the Oxiclean trick on the collar.

[​IMG]

2. catside

catside Senior member

Got Church's Ryder brown suede chukkas with crepe soles. These have long been my grail find. Only half a size large which should be very wearable with an insert. $10.60 total cost.

Here is my pal wearing it:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

3. steveoly

steveoly Senior member

Are you keeping the Isaia shirt? If not, what's the size?

4. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

[​IMG]

Using this because this is the first thing that is worthy of such a signal. Its a NWT Burberry tie. Super thick Silk/Wool combo. I know its not up to the level with some of Spoo's inventory but thought that he might like to consign this as it is NWT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also ... rooster ties seem to pop up at the right times for me these days. I needed a navy crochet tie for this weekend and BOOM. there i find one that is like 2.5" wide. [​IMG]

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Hit GW at lunch today, nothing special but did have my first "regular customer" moment when a worker came up and offered me something that she said they don't get in very often (Wilson's leather vest). It wasn't a Brioni or stack of Oxxford's but it was incredibly nice of her, and I bought it as their vests are only $2.92.

Overheard at GW: "Any jacket is reversible if you don't care how you look." True dat.

6. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

16 1/2 Eu 42. Likely selling it as I have one identical to it (same label/era).

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

8. Greg613

Greg613 Senior member

As a buyer I expect a buyer to counter and I send a low ball offer to reflect that. From there, they counter or decline and I can decide to submit a new offer. Occasionally you get lucky, like last night I put in an offer of $115 for a pair of boots that were originally listed at $200 and I had an email waiting for me when I woke up saying the offer was accepted. :slayer:

As a seller, I have only had one auction with the offer feature, but no one offered. I think I had my BIN too high considering what I was actually looking to get out of them. :fu:

9. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

(warning: i haven't tried selling anything on ebay in over 10 years, so take this with a grain of salt):

why don't you guys just list stuff at a high BIN without the OBO option, and then if the item doesn't sell, keep re-listing (at a certain invterval) with a reduction in price? for example, if you have an item that you estimate will sell for $70-80 but would like to get $100 for it, and your closet space allows for 1 month carrying/inventory time per item, do:

week 1: $100 BIN
    week 2: $90 BIN
    week 3: $81 BIN
    week 4: $ 73 BIN

eventually (assuming no change in other factors, like a reduction in demand for your specific item due to seasonality, reduction in number of ebay shoppers, etc), your price will lower enough such that supply will meet demand and you'll find your buyer without having to haggle.

only downside i can see is ebay shoppers as a whole becoming aware of your price reduction schedule and then waiting until your price becomes super cheap (such as waiting several months for you to eventually get down to $1 BIN), but this would be overcome by a collective action problem. or would doing this incur extra fees that re-listing at BIN OBO wouldn't?

10. Wizard Swears

Wizard Swears Well-Known Member

Picked up a houndstooth BB Makers partially lined SC today. Size 42 R - Available
    [​IMG]

Then found three pairs of pants: (Sorry for the poor photo quality - There is no natural lighting in my apartment)
    PRL Size 32/30 - Available (because I'm just a tad too fat, and they aren't long enough)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Linea Naturals LUXE Size 32 - Available (for same reason as the PRL except they are proper length)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Then a pair of basically NWOT Billabong snowboarding pants (in Louisiana - what?!) - Not available
    [​IMG]

11. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

People always want to feel good about the deal though. They'd feel better about offering 100 on an item you're asking 200 and getting it for that than if you just listed it for 100 in the first place. It was half off after all. No one wants to pay sticker price.

12. 951socal

951socal Senior member

i thrift like that
    but I'm not a flipper.

the places around here know what the labels are and most have established a UPC scanner system. which allows people to quickly search EVERYTHING they have in the store on the internet.

they miss some stuff

but for the most part anything kiton, brioni, oxxford etc will be tagged in the hundreds.

the funny thing is that after Spoo posted the True Religion sale he had on ebay.
    the Salvation army out here listed ALL of their true religion jeans at $99.99 up from $49.99.

i do most of my shopping at nordstrom rack and off saks 5th avenue now
    but its like an hour away

13. 951socal

951socal Senior member

most stuff moves for under $40 so its probably better just to set up an auction.

auctions are also free.

14. Wizard Swears

Wizard Swears Well-Known Member

That is retarded. Do they follow his sales or something?

15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Does anyone know the Macy's in-store return policy? (I checked their site, it's not spelled out specifically). I ask because I've got 2 thrifted items, still new with tags including Macy's gift tag stickers...and it occurs to me - maybe I can return them and get a "refund"? I thought they once allowed anyone to return anything at any time if it still had the tags, but I might be thinking Saks or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.