• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, been gone for 2 days and I miss the epic transformation of the thrifting thread into the dog-love thread. I don't think its too late to get my submission in. This is my 1.5 yr old Staffordshire Bull Terrier. I forget who mentioned that they were looking at pit bulls......If you want a pit bull, without the hassle of (potential) aggression, I would highly recommend a Staffy. Half the size (she's 35 lbs) and the sweetest tempered dog I have ever encountered. Plus people don't run away in fear when I walk her down the block since they think she is just a "pit puppy".

Oh yeah, bro, I was looking at pits. I've always like the English breed as oppose to the bigger American Staffies. They are much cuter aka friendlier looking and more manageable in size. Eventually, I'll get one. For now, we are set on Greys.

Randy

Reaction score
Whaddup fellas. Been had BAPE
happy.gif

Now the real question: flip it or use it to woo all the asian women at school next semester?
mwink[1].gif

Probably because I'm age >50 now, but I just didn't get this -- a t-shirt? So I Googled "BAPE," looked at their site, and found out this puppy retails for $100+. Holy crap! For me (and, again, maybe this is a generational thing), it begs a question, and I mean absolutely no disrespect, but that question is: What about this simple white t-shirt and design makes it a woo-worthy $100 item? Will dodge tomatoes, just want to wipe away some of this incredulity and mystery I'm feeling as I type this.
smile.gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's from today's safari:

Found this and nearly **** myself (it was my first to see in the wild)

I had to hunt down the pants because I wasn't going to commit the faux pas of wearing a pin stripe orphan as a SC. Searched the whole store and it was in the last placed I looked, funny how that is.

Then my hopes and dreams were crushed. Saw this and died a little inside...

Pass.

6 solid white BB staples and one checkered from same donor - all had a severe case of ring around the collar.

Pass.

Found this old BBGF 2 piece:

But as today's luck would have it...

Fit me decently, but not perfect.
Pass.

Found this:

Authenticity?

Other things from that same store I passed on were: 2x BB SC's (holes on both and one was made in Mexico, although it had a nice pattern), an old Lanvin with problems, a SWEET Fox Knapp heavy overcoat but it wasn't my size, and some other items (but for the sake of a long post, I'll withhold pictures)

Things found over course of vacation:
If you know about these then you know they = MONEY!

My size, but I only like the yellow one. The others are going to the bay.

How recent is this?

Picked this up because it was NWT - Bugatchi Uomo

For you Pendleton junkies: Left two are size XL (but, the one on the right is a woman's coat and was NWT until I got home and can't find the tags. Weird. All unavailable currently - have IRL a buddy who has first dibs.

Picked this up because I liked the pattern/colors and it was my size. Anyone know anything about this label? I see it frequently but can't seem to find anything on it.

And finally,

Available - PM me for measurements if interested. It's collarless so that might be a factor for some of y'all.
Nice haul, bro! Sorry to see that Canali in that shape. What a let down...But hey, The Shirt Guy stays true to his name. lol

Regarding the Forsyth shirts, maybe these are it?

http://www.forsythshirt.com/public/index.php?id=52&PHPSESSID=569985ff864ba7543f888a84c7314aa5

http://www.justiceclothing.com/thereis/justice/forsyth

High end?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably because I'm age >50 now, but I just didn't get this -- a t-shirt? So I Googled "BAPE," looked at their site, and found out this puppy retails for $100+. Holy crap! For me (and, again, maybe this is a generational thing), it begs a question, and I mean absolutely no disrespect, but that question is: What about this simple white t-shirt and design makes it a woo-worthy $100 item? Will dodge tomatoes, just want to wipe away some of this incredulity and mystery I'm feeling as I type this.
smile.gif

In a nut shell, BAPE (Bathing Ape) is a Japanese Urban Hip Hop gear icon that started in the early 90s. Its lines are extremely limited and scarce. Therefore, the high retail price tag. Young Hip Hop fans will pretty much buy anything Hip Hop fashion related especially when Hip Hop got its exposure in Asian during the late 80s, early 90s. The owner of BAPE is also the co-owner/designer of Pharrell William's (N.E.R.D.) fashion label, Billionaire Boys Club, and Ice Cream. Their **** retails for redonkulous amounts. $60 for a T shirt. Their **** is not even that great. I personally thinks Hip Hop fans are crazy.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Picked up this decent BR Modern black suit yesterday. 42R 36/34 3 button, flat front.

Not overly bragworthy in my opinion, but it's sad when you realize this will probably go higher on the bay than any HF, Oxxford, Canali etc. suits I have sold.

$(KGrHqF,!pUE7BcvgQHkBP3+RQOCZw~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqJ,!rQE-ZUfRNh+BP3+RHwTVQ~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqN,!lcE-kGHsKlYBP3+SQ0Ubw~~60_57.JPG

Randy

Reaction score
In a nut shell, BAPE (Bathing Ape) is a Japanese Urban Hip Hop gear icon that started in the early 90s. Its lines are extremely limited and scarce. Therefore, the high retail price tag. Young Hip Hop fans will pretty much buy anything Hip Hop fashion related especially when Hip Hop got its exposure in Asian during the late 80s, early 90s. The owner of BAPE is also the co-owner/designer of Pharrell William's (N.E.R.D.) fashion label, Billionaire Boys Club, and Ice Cream. Their **** retails for redonkulous amounts. $60 for a T shirt. Their **** is not even that great. I personally thinks Hip Hop fans are crazy.

Much appreciated, understood. Talented branding group, big exposure, limited availability. More power to them.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
I'll be damned. Frenchy seems to be viewing right this moment. Post some stuff man.

^^^ I'm not sure if Frenchy and Valium were the same person (mainly because Frenchy was before my time on this thread). But Valium was one of those contributers that had some great non-clothes-related finds. Besides, I'm curious as to what ever happened with those watches / clocks and glass display cases he posted about being in some Goodwill auction...
confused.gif

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All who expressed concern: yes, a home phone a/k/a landline. I work from home [telecommute] and cell service is sketchy at best in my 'hood. Yes, it rings all the damn time with unknown callers and telemarketers even though I'm on the DNC. But I'm not that firmly entrenched in the 90's - WiFi and smart TV and Netflix and Roku etc. Now, I'm off to Telex this big proposal to the boss regarding the Anderson account.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-clothing, from a garage sale and for a song.

Redline speakers (sound great) and Beogram turntable (works but one channel has a loose connection - fixable). Paid $35 for everything. Keepers. Now to find stands for the speakers...

Last edited:

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Non-clothing, from a garage sale and for a song.

Nice!
What's the deal with bullock & jones blazers found a nice creme 100% silk one today. It's 46 couldn't really think who would get dibs. Thoughts?
bounce2.gif
ME ME ME...oh wait is that another one of those damn US 46?
censored.gif

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Much appreciated, understood. Talented branding group, big exposure, limited availability. More power to them.

In case there is still any doubt, I was kidding. The shirt will be sold like everything else I buy.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No prob. You got it, bro.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up this decent BR Modern black suit yesterday. 42R 36/34 3 button, flat front.

Not overly bragworthy in my opinion, but it's sad when you realize this will probably go higher on the bay than any HF, Oxxford, Canali etc. suits I have sold.

$(KGrHqF,!pUE7BcvgQHkBP3+RQOCZw~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqJ,!rQE-ZUfRNh+BP3+RHwTVQ~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqN,!lcE-kGHsKlYBP3+SQ0Ubw~~60_57.JPG

Yeah, that's the sad truth. Mofos don't know what real quality is. All they care about is high profile fashion brands. Better for us cuz we get dibs on the good ****.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I brought home a few things today, not a lot out there. It was incredible weather though and since I worked all weekend I took the day offt. Thrift stores, tailor and my monthly haircut and hot shave. A fairly selfish day, you could say. Anyway, picked up some interesting (at least to me) things...

Diving computer by UWATEC, a Swiss company. I have no idea whether it works, so I'll have to investigate as the battery is dead. It's older, but I wasn't going to leave it behind. I set my things on the counter and was looking in the glass cases when another guy thought it was available and tried to buy it. I then realized he had picked up a few nice things including a made in England wool suitcase. Well played, sir, well played.

Some decent tobacco pipes. From left to right: Bari made in Denmark, Rafaello made in Italy and Savinelli made in Italy.

North Face Gore-Tex shell. It's in perfect shape but needs a bit of cleaning.

Escada Sport purse, presumably for my wife. We'll see what she thinks about it.

Anyone else hate going through the women's section? I mean, I do it because I've found nice things (pocket squares, scarves, men's shirts, etc.) and I take a look at things for my wife. However, I can't help but notice the strange looks. I was looking at the shoes for my wife with a pair of Ferragamo heels in my hand when an older female employee said "Oh no, those are women's shoes." I said "You don't think I could make these work?" and she just looked at me, trying to decide whether I was serious. She then explained that the men's shoes were in another room. I said "Jaja, I know, I have a wife and she wears shoes, too." She apologized.

These were my favorites of the day. They are a pair from Ludwig Reiter, a Viennese shoemaker. They're handmade and prices start around €600 or €700 and go up. I have wanted a pair and may spring for them this fall. These had little wear, were well taken care of and it appears trees were used. I might post better pictures once they're polished.

Wizard Swears

Reaction score
If you read back in the thread, you can find a surefire way to remove ring around the collar.

...You also might not consider Bugatchi Uomo to be so brag-worthy.
I haven't made it that far back in the posts yet. I wish now that I had - the only thing wrong with them was the ring around the collar.

And I know Bugatchi Uomo isn't brag worthy for the most part, this one just happened to be NWT and I figured I could flip it. I'll be sure to leave those out of my future posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads