The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:wow:

Wow - been had Oxxford? :laugh:

Insane haul!

The wife used to have a 6 spd manual Audi TT that I liked to take out when she'd let me drive it :hide:

She then traded it for a Infiniti FX35 that had a bit more practicality and less fun. Makes it easy when I buy something big, though.

On nice spring/summer/fall days I'll take this out:

[​IMG]

Some could say I "thrifted" this car.

2. Wizard Swears

Wizard Swears Well-Known Member

Here's my current predicament:

A guy bought a shirt from me and I shipped it to the address supplied by PayPal (in South Korea). I got a message from him saying he hasn't received the shirt (I sent it on May 22) so I checked the tracking information and everything and according to eBay, he has an Illinois address. Not sure if he wanted it to be sent to Illinois or what, but I'm pretty much telling him that he is a retard.

This ever happen to anyone? If so, how did you handle it?

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Jesus Christ, brah! That's why I try avoid shipping internationally. M-Fers can't seem to communicate properly. That's bad coming from an Asian guy, too.

4. Wizard Swears

Wizard Swears Well-Known Member

I know, right? I'd honestly like to keep things in the states but foreigners (read: Asians) love western shirts, it seems. A Russkie (sp?) bought a linen Zegna sport shirt from me from a bogus account once - I have some pretty terrible luck sometimes...

On the upside: I had a Swiss dude buy a golfing laser range finder from me for like $240+ shipping, so the Swiss are good in my book and I haven't had any problems with Italy... yet (knock on wood).

5. tben

tben Senior member

That's a great start. You should definitely be telling the guy that he is a "retard." We all know that eBay/paypal favors the seller almost all of the time and that pnutpug has had nothing but great interactions with them as well.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  6. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

You haven't had any issues sending clothing into Italy? Are you marking the customs tags as something else - because - last I heard Italy has very strict laws against any imported clothing [regardless if it was originally Italian or not]. Not to mention their reputation for rifling...but if things have changed I'd be happy to hear that.

7. sliq

sliq Senior member

LOVE tartan ties. i've thrifted a Hunter, Douglas and some other one that eludes me.

8. mainy

mainy Senior member

I've shipped stuff to italy and marked it as clothing before and pretty sure it's always been delivered. But yeah, I'm not sure what the exact rules on this are.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Womens.

And anyone without a dachshund in their life is crazy.

10. 951socal

951socal Senior member

i got my dogs used too (rescued)

:p

11. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Meet our spoiled brat Mia, 10 year old, German Shepherd, Husky, Akita, and Wolf mix. Alpha dog of the neighborhood.

[​IMG][​IMG]

She knows she's not allowed to get in the mud.
    [​IMG]

12. catside

catside Senior member

You sentimental fools!
    What is this, a dog thread?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  13. MattR

MattR Senior member

Aw, animal thrifting. Dig it.

My thrifted Russian Blue, Charlie. Been had a little over 2 years ago. Loyal like a dog, and smart as all get-out.

[​IMG]

It's funny, because I am allergic to animals, but when we got him, I thought, "just go for it." As it turns out, Russian Blues largely lack (or have a reduced amount of) the allergenic protein in their dander. So that was a welcome surprise.

[​IMG]

BUT, he was like finding an navy blue Oxxford suit in my size, but that had a small hole in it that I didn't see before :)fu:). To basically offset the awesome that is my allergies not exploding daily, he is among the 1% of cats who can't process minerals properly and gets bladder infections. Fixed it with food, but that shit's expensive. But I wouldn't give this cat up for the world. And I've already dragged his ass to a hospital in a snow storm once, so it'd be pretty stupid to just give him up.

[​IMG]

(I think I read someone's cat just died, so I hope this doesn't stir too many memories. I never used to understand people's attachment to their animals, but now I get it completely.)

14. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I have these boots, and I paid full freight from REI. They are some serious boots for serious backpacking and mountaineering. They are also old-school and frowned upon by today's mountaineering set, which prefers lighter weight modern materials. But back in the day, you couldn't do any better than these.

15. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

is this available, i have an ORvis tagged Harris Tweed a jacket, 42R, can send pics

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.