1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Made a morning run but didn't find a damn thing. Found a couple small 14.5/32 Barney's shirts but they had that dry papery feeling. Is that from over dry cleaning or what? I've always wondered.

2. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Hahaha, absolutely brilliant. I think you should start drinking early more often. Chatty Spoo seems like the type of person we need.

Where in the hell was everyone when I accidentally got drunk and started buying things online Wednesday night? I drank until I coudn't follow the plot of an episode of X-Files.

Wow, you're on top of things! I'm getting mine together to get sent, hopefully in the next week or two.

3. eazye

eazye Senior member

Just picked this up from the dry cleaner, vintage hounds tooth plaid from Paul Zabin's Campus Shop in Westport Conn. I snagged this from Catside and it arrived with a stain on the sleeve but he's such a stand up guy, he promptly refunded my money, even though I told him it wasn't necessary. :fistbump: It still has the stain, but my cleaner got it to where it's almost imperceptible and it's such a busy pattern anyways, I think you would have to know where it was previously to see it. Anyways, this thing is siccccccck. Vented, super soft shoulder, nearly perfect pattern matching and 3 roll 2, although the roll is kind of fucked up and I forgot to ask my tailor to re-press it. Doh! :facepalm:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

Ha nice, I got a little drunk today as well and messed up my bank account since one of those stores Nataku visited (Kind) was having a big sale.

Oh, and oldest thrift find: 1949 Saks Fifth Avenue 3 piece
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

LOL

What would you like me to say - that I am sitting here at my kitchen table, entering measurements for fucking 400 ties, while my wife is trying to talk to me about some drama with her inlaws, my kid screaming because she wants to use real scissors, and my dog barking to eat my cheese that I am picking on? Ive got the "focus" face on like I am intensely working, but in actuality Im trolling tumblr and this thread while on my 5th glass of wine.

By the way, on my way out to "errands" (dry cleaning, etc) I google mapped a new SA, so thought I would pass by on the way - well it was in the worst effing neighborhood possible, situated between a soup kitchen and a care shelter, and it wasn't even a SA store, it was just a SA. :fu: Hightailed it outta there, no scores for me today. Well back to measuring ties

6. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Need immediate help on whether to Cop!!

Dunhill Made in Italy 100% Cashmere SC for $60 tagged 46R

Not my size but worth the flip?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ Made by Zegna, you may make $50 ish

8. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

awww i was hoping more... I'll leave it then unless someone wants a proxy

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  9. SeamasterLux

SeamasterLux Senior member

I was indeed extremely happy with that find. But that shop never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for the link, the video is impressive. But Smalto bespoke service is outrageously expensive. They start at 7000 EUR for a 2-piece suit.

10. DanM

DanM Senior member

If I ever figure out how to tie one of these bow ties, I'll try to do a thrift fit pic...

In the meantime, today's tiny haul:

Brooks Makers bow tie, and another BB makers. I've either got to stop buying BB ties, or start selling them. I have a ridiculous number considering how rarely I wear them.

[​IMG]

Ben Silver English Drills. These any good? I've never seen pants by Ben Silver before. They feel pretty well constructed.
    [​IMG]

J. Press Khakis.
    [​IMG]

And some very nice gray slacks by.... Brioni. Reverse orphans I would assume, I tore that store apart looking for the jacket. Will continue doing so for the next few weeks. Any other Cincy thrifters come across it, I would be open to trying to reunite them....

[​IMG] [​IMG]

11. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Damn, if it were half that I'd say guaranteed KOP. I think even at that price someone here might take a proxy (if it were my size I'd think long and hard - love Dunhill stuff).

12. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Wow, Eazy, these look great. I can't seem to see the end of your collection...how much stuff do you own?! It's a really cool look!

Hahaha, nice little Saturday you're having. In what language is your wife/in-laws discussing the drama? If she's discussing drama with her inlaws, does that mean they're your parents? :happy:

You know those safety scissors suck and your daughter has a point. Your dog is thinking "The cheese. I want the cheese. Are you kidding me? It's right there. Can you not hear me? I'm asking you. The cheese. Please, for the love of God, a small piece of cheese." At least that's how the dialogue goes in my head when my dog stares something down that he's desperate to have. :nodding:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Fun fact about the German version of The Mask: The words "keys" and "cheese" don't rhyme in German ("Schlüssel" and "Käse"), so they instead had to get creative or else the entire scene would be incredibly confusing for German speakers. Viewers would wonder what would make the dog confuse "Käse" and "Schlüssel." Instead, Jim Carey tells the dog to get the "Schlüssel" and when he turns around with cheese, Jim Carrey says "Nicht die Schüssel (bowl), die Schlüssel!" It still doesn't make sense that the dog has cheese and there is no mention of it. Also, the dog didn't really bring a bowl, but that's how they did the workaround.

1 person likes this.
  13. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Ahhh, early drinking, now that brings back some.

Hit the pub at midday, leave pub at 10:30pm, hit the nightclub with a staggered gait, forget how I get home, wake up 11:30 / 12:00am next day with a horrifying headache and hacking cough after smoking two packs of Marlboro reds in that session.

Bowel movements suggest I had a kebab the night before (for those not accustomed to middle eastern inspired British cuisine, this is a delicate dish consisting of strips of "unknown" meat roasted on a spinning spit, piled into a Pita bread with complementary salad and chillis, and then the most wonderful flaming hot chilli sauce).

Around 5:00pm I start becoming more alert, get call from friends, and hit the pub again this time drinking coke but having many games of pool.

14. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Yea if it was my size it would be a no brainer for me. Beautiful quality, classic look... I love it! too bad Im a 42L nor a 46R

15. eazye

eazye Senior member

16. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Hit a Value Village today that I haven't been to in about 20 years. I'd even forgotten it was in that part of town (kind of a skeezy area).
    Almost got an ancient quilted vest - inspired by eazye's brilliant pic - but it was too small. (Tagged M. Would have like to have seen how big an S was).

Then I found this amongst that sad, cast off remnants of Halloween costume pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. SpooPoker

The most coveted of all Versace prints. 1993 maxi Barocco. Well done, sir.

18. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

That's insane!!! Pics!!!

Hahahahahaha!!!

HAhahahahahahha, sorry to laugh at your misfortunes but this is too funny to not laugh!

Yikes! Thrift prices are getting redonkulous!!! +1 for pass.

19. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

[​IMG]

Sometimes the quick flyby at your favorite shop is the best, NWOT made in the USA Hickey, my size!

20. Duke63

Duke63 Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Picked up a Zegna tie as well as a Yves Saint Laurent. Available if anybody's interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.