The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GHo

GHo Senior member

[​IMG]

Dude - you look like you have GIANT hands in that coat.

You know what they say about guys with big hands?....

Big gloves. :nodding: :slapfight:

2. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

The girls and I will be at the mill that sells these in about two weeks.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Ah, thanks! That place looks amazing.

Yeah, I'm embarrassed to admit my knowledge of Croatia comes primarily from my film addiction, so is mostly focused on war and at least fifteen years out of date. Or features lesbian couples with renter's woes:

[​IMG]

My knowledge of modern-ish day Germany arrives mostly via Heinrich Boll and Gunter Grass and depressing movies, so who knows what's going on there... :D

Really enjoying your thrift finds, btw.

4. grendel

grendel Senior member

I just found and sold a Pal Zileri Lab suit a couple weeks ago. Money please.

5. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

With self-imposed thrifting ban in full effect, I hit only two stores today -- my local and one other. Grabbed a garish pocket square, handrolled in Japan by Vera (assume this is no great shakes). But also grabbed a couple of outfits for the kidos. So, earning that whole Father's Day thing. At the second store I picked up a decent golf bag to replace my ancient, no-kickstand/no-backpack-strap bag for around a Hamilton.

That is all.

6. Wizard Swears

Wizard Swears Well-Known Member

I'll keep that in mind. I probably shouldn't have found the trench to begin with because ALL of the SC's, etc. in the shop were behind an invisible "do not enter area." I literally found it two seconds before the owner came running after me and screaming that I couldn't be back there - maybe she should have a sign saying it's off limits - she quoted me a half-decent price on it anyways so it all worked out, I guess.

I've wanted an Airedale for years. They are great looking dogs but my heart has been stolen by the blue merle border collies. As soon as I get a house I'm getting one. An Airedale might be in my future, after a looong list of other animals I can't live without.

Has anyone hit the GW's or other thrift stores in Mobile, AL? The ones here in Pensacola are depressing and I'll be driving through Mobile to get home from my vacation. I would like to find something nice to pick my spirits up.

7. hikari013

hikari013 Senior member

Haven't had much time for thrifting lately, but I picked up a couple good things today.

[​IMG]
    Zegna tuxedo shirt with pique bib and semi-spread collar. Now I just need to find an opportunity to wear it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    J Press Donegal tweed. Its a little dirty, but the tweed is in good shape. This didn't fit me, but I picked it up to send to someone here should they be interested.

22" Chest 18.5" shoulder 24.5" sleeve 31" BOC

8. Wizard Swears

Wizard Swears Well-Known Member

I sold a vintage bomber-style jacket not too long ago on the 'Bay and it had 14 watchers with only one bid - the $9.99 start price. I still can't believe it. Luckily, I paid less - unluckily, after fees, I went into the hole on it.

9. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

I started reading with post #1, where Jon listed prices paid...which I think was the spirit in which this thread was intended - not just "Look what I got" but also bragging about "...and I only paid $x for it". Conversely, it was probably started with keepers in mind, not flippers, hence the unwillingness of some folks to post what they paid since it's gonna show up on eBay. I know some folks go to consignment shops and indie (non-GW / SA / SVP) places so one cannot assume they paid $4.92 for a shirt (or whatever the going rate is in their area, which does vary quite a bit, i.e.: ties at GW by me are $3 but at more rural GW's they're $1). As a flipper I try not to be greedy, and I do try to undercut sold-for prices, but I'm not going to give things away when those really nice things come along only after many hours are spent driving and sliding hangers, gas money, dry cleaning, etc.
    Personally I don't think too many people here buy from the eBay sales of other people here - we're doing our own thrifting and bragging about our scores...just not telling prices paid. Plenty of eBay buyers don't know about this forum and I don't think it would have any effect if we spilled the beans on what we paid. Heck, I learned about this site from a guy in a thrift store, not a search engine.
    I have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to collecting vinyl records in the experimental / musique concret / noise / Japanoise / avant-garde / whatever genres, which I freely shared. Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth was my #1 customer and bought tens of thousands of dollars worth of vinyl from me. That scene has dried up, here I am trying on a new hat, make some side-coin, learn and have fun in the process. If it becomes a chore, I'll stop (or at least, only shop for myself and no longer resale).
    That said, I accidentally peed on some guy's shoe today in the GW bathroom. He didn't notice. Sorry, man - I auto-corrected the stream as soon as I could.

10. eazye

eazye Senior member

Passed on this the other day, there were 2 full Press suits and another sport coat that looked like the owner spilled tomato soup all over it.

11. hikari013

hikari013 Senior member

There wasn't any sign of the others when I went, even the tomato soup one :p

12. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Non-clothing resale shop find:

[​IMG]

...but what is it?
    A tic-tac vending machine.

Why did you buy it?
    It was only $8, and had $3 in quarters already inside, making the cost $5.

OK, but really - why did you buy it?
    Because I think I can resell it (similar to this one), and it has 12 slots from which you can vend other products that are more or less shaped like a Tic-Tac container (single condoms, mini candy, cologne/perfume knock-offs, mini-lighters, &c).

What kind of rug is that?
    Karastan - another interest / item I deal in on occasion. That particular one is a #785 Sarouk, 8' x 10', for sale but probably already spoken for by the person who bought a 4' x 6' same pattern from me (haven't listed it yet).

And the sign in the background?
    Says "drugstore" and is fifteen feet long when letters are placed right next to each other; an anagram is "ogre turds". Could also say "rug store". For sale locally (ATL) if anyone here sells drugs or rugs.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:lol:

Everyone should be required to complete that self survey who posts pics.

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Gored Rust
    Dregs Tour
    Surged Rot
    Order Gust
    Doters Rug
    Dust Ogre
    Turd Goer

:teach:

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.