The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Next time I'm there, I'll pick it up for you if you want. I'll look for the pants, too. Let me knwo.

2. barrelntrigger

Chucks and slip ons are great for power lifting. My co worker wears them all the time for heavy squats because they have a flat sole which distributes weight evenly on the bottom of the foot. The last thing you want when hauling ass on the squats is being wobbly. Also, those are pretty inexpensive.

+1

3. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

This is why I live in Florida. Anyone reaches in your car, it is a forcible felony and the use of deadly force is permissible. We consider the car an extension of our home. Only problem is finding bottoms that are just big enough to tuck the bulge, yet still fit well without it.

Edit: Any style tips for those that carry? Sometimes I find the best fitting shirts tend to "print."

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012

4. tben

tben Senior member

I am not sure if this is brag-worthy but I was rolling through TJ Maxx today and I ran by this...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Made in Canada, any idea of the maker?

For $29 I figured I couldn't pass, especially since it seemed to fit fairly well otr.
    [​IMG]

5. barrelntrigger

Thanks, buddy. [​IMG]

The Burberrys blazer I won from Mainly was pretty sweet if it weren't for the ill fit and the heavy shoulder pads. I would rock that.

I mostly avoid pinstripe orphans due to a certain Canali related catastrophe left me wanting...Anyhow, what would you guys say about self striping orphan jackets such as this one where the stripes are very subtle? You guys think I can pair it with a pair of solid colored trousers?

[​IMG]

As far as the Lanvin, I'm keeping it for fun dress up parties. hahaha.

6. barrelntrigger

Indeed, it was Made in Italy. I did some googling, Tessuto means "fabric" in Italian. Some body also said Marshal's once carried those...

[​IMG]

Shitty pic, I'll take a better one next time I'm there.

They wanted $40 for it. I didn't feel safe paying that price.

7. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Most of us are probably guilty of the occasional pick-up, so it makes me feel better that others do the same. Sometimes I'm surprised that something isn't worth more than it really is. This week I picked up two pairs of Bruno Maglis heels and I assumed they'd be worthwhile. It turns out they sell between €10-30. Oh well, live and learn. At least my wife understands that it's more for the fun of it than to get rich. It's satisfying to me to pay for my little excursions.

Another difficult thing is passing on well made things that have no resale value. Occasionally I'll pick up unique items to see if someone will trade, but usually I'll leave them. We have a lot of hatmakers and glovemakers that make things here, but there obviously would be no brand recognition on eBay. Having said that, if anyone needs something in particular and you don't care about the brand, let me know. I know our makers (and the Viennese makers) pretty well and can keep an eye out for quality items.

8. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

My dad got that one. My bad pick ups are generally dated sport coats, orphaned jackets, and mid level shirts :)

I also passed on a Pal Zileri suit and versace coat early in the game :facepalm:

9. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Since many have asked. The Filson is an XL. The Boder is a 38. And the Beaufort is a 42.

10. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

We should start a pool. Hell, I'll start a pool. The first person to find a recent Pal Zileri suit in a 40R-ish wins MONEY from me (the cost of the suit, plus shipping). We've seen 30,000+ posts, and no PZ.

Or maybe just a recent, complete 40R suit by any decent maker. We have members in Canada, the States, and Europe, and I can't remember the last decent staple find. Which is why I'm riding the consignment wave.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Find or thrift? Cause I can just go upstairs. ;)

12. GHo

GHo Senior member

he didn't say how much money....

:lol:

13. mjt73106

mjt73106 Senior member

Jack Victor claims to make all of their own stuff - see their website; "Over 800 employees now work daily at our Montreal corporate office and manufacturing facility, where all Jack Victor clothing is produced. About 70% of the suits, sportcoats, trousers and tuxedos made are exported to the United States, the United Kingdom, Puerto Rico and Central America. Distribution has commenced as well in Russia and the Far East."

Not sure if they sub-contract for other brands. I have always like the items that I have had. Scored some very nice NWT wool/laine pants a few months ago. Very well made with added features. . .

14. HansderHund

I've left the same Pal Zileri orphan jacket in a shop for 2+months. It's well made, but I haven't seen much interest. I'll have to check exactly which line it's from, but what are the better lines?

15. HansderHund

It happens to the best of us. I have a pair of Loro Piana cream pants on my mind. I lost them on eBay sometime 2 or 3 years ago. There were no bids and it finished at $29.99. It still haunts me.

Does anyone want these? They're well made and both XL, but come with a warning...they smell musty. I didn't know when I grabbed them, but I haven't tried to fix the problem either. Maybe you could clean them or spray the lining? They're handmade in England and have great zippers. Condition is ok at best and they'll probably need wax. Available to anyone interested. I'd put them at Barbour quality.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.