• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On the subject of Paul Stuart, is it worth picking up?  I always pass them over because I worked in the Hancock Building in Chicago and they had a store there - I personally wasn't into it at that time, and have no idea what their stuff cost new, but I'll start grabbing them to flip if it's worth the time for resale on the bay...

maybe

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lubiam 1911 not flipping? Yeah, that's an understatement. This sweet-as-hell 44 R pure silk number sat on ebay for a while with no interest at all. I was practically giving it away. It never sold, so now it's sitting in my closet.

Oh boy, real nice!

Dewi

Reaction score

Picked up this rediculous vintage Lord West tux jacket today because it could not be left behind. I think the only thing it needs are some 14K gold buttons. Actually I am think of replacing the buttons with some harvested ones from another coat. What's the verdict, Brass, Silver or Black

Come on, you know that deserves one of each.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped after work. All I picked up was a pair of Made in Italy Gabardine khaki trousers by Hickey Freeman. Found a spot on it when I got it home... any tips on good ways to clean wool gabardine?

Left behind a pair of olive moleskin HF trousers around a 34x32 with 2 pleats and a 16.5x33 BBGF shirt with a cutaway collar. Let me know if anyone wants me to pick them up.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up this rediculous vintage Lord West tux jacket today because it could not be left behind. I think the only thing it needs are some 14K gold buttons. Actually I am think of replacing the buttons with some harvested ones from another coat. What's the verdict, Brass, Silver or Black
MUST ..... OWN .... !!!
Be on the lookout for a PM from Vlad the Impaler. That is an awesome pickup Wes.
I've come to buy your jaaaackett!!
IMO better then Hickey Freeman. Look for the labels with all three city names on them (newest), two is older and one is oldest.
Agree. Great staples for yourself, and has good resale value -- here and elsewhere. "Made in Canada" is made by Samuelsohn. Much (all?) US stuff by Southwick. Never met a piece that wasn't heavily canvased. Next order of business - Thrift fit pic:
Suit:: Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn, double vent, ticket pocket single reverse pleat trouser; -- from Concealed Shirt: Borrelli brown and blue micro check on a white field -- thrifted by me Tie: Kiton 7 fold with pink geometric design -- from Dave Smith Square: Pink cotton herringbone -- courtesy of my daughter Shoes: *cough* Cole Haan *cough* cap toe oxfords -- thrifted by me
And then there's this: I am now well into my so-called self-imposed ban. And a bunch of stuff I bought/traded for just before it began (OK, I cheated! Sue me!) has started arriving. Thanks, dudes! BUT: Paging Goldilocks! I think EasyE's SC may be heart-breakingly just barely too small for me. I'm a solid 42, and this is EU 52, which, by the mathematical algorithms shown above (carry the two...) means I think I took too fat. I may post a pic to see if you dudes disagree, but, sadly, I think this one might not be for me. EDIT: Trying it again, it's not so bad. Thrift fit to come..... In other news: I cheated again! Hit a quick spot on the way home. Nothing earth-shattering, so I'll spare you the pics; mostly pickups for me on the dirt cheap: BB Hudson linen flat front trousers to replace my aging Abboud pleated ones, a pair of BB blue linen flat front shorts in a 34 for my brother in law (unless one of yous dudes wants em), a NWOT J Crew 100% linen blazer to replace my aging Abboud that I just sold on Ebay, and a lime green Rivetz of Boston paisley tie that I just couldn't put down. Maybe in the fall, under a sweater.... Oh, and a weekender golf bag with a kick stand (mine doesn't have one) -- not that I ever have time to golf, but.... Speaking of Paul Stuart by Samuelsohn tweed SC because it was full price. And on a really recent Corneliani suit (good), navy birdseye (better) my size (GREAT!) that was so moth eaten down the back it looked like Jesse James' last suit. :fu: :censored:

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up this rediculous vintage Lord West tux jacket today because it could not be left behind. I think the only thing it needs are some 14K gold buttons. Actually I am think of replacing the buttons with some harvested ones from another coat. What's the verdict, Brass, Silver or Black

That thing is beautiful. Reminiscent of this vintage dinner / formal / doo-person of Italian descent singer Lord West jacket I picked up a few weeks ago, but yours is much much nicer.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

toscano_adottato

Reaction score

Polo made in the US 100% wool. Side vents, surgeon's cuffs, two button with ticket pocket. two pleats and cuff. Measurements below.

P2P = ~17.5 inches
BOC = ~30 inches
Shoulders = ~19.5 inches
Sleeve = ~23.25 inches

Pants

Outseam = ~41 inches
Inseam = ~30.75 inches
Waist = ~34 inches
Cuffs = 1.25 inches

I am open to interesting trades but not the undershirt you stole from screen legend Anthony Quinn while he was working out in the part.

Androfan and Ocooney have seen it live and can testify to exactly how baller it is. Trade for it and with in one weekend, Jeeves will be prepping the country manor for you weekend getaway with several close friends, closer bottles of scotch and cigars. In the mornings you will hunt grouse. In the afternoon whilst everyone naps, you will engage in all manner of chicanery, secret trysts and over all discreet comminglings. Dinner will be served by an open fire, with the staff bringing one succulent dish after another.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Polo made in the US 100% wool. Side vents, surgeon's cuffs, two button with ticket pocket. two pleats and cuff. Measurements below.
P2P = ~17.5 inches
BOC = ~30 inches
Shoulders = ~19.5 inches
Sleeve = ~23.25 inches
Pants
Outseam = ~41 inches
Inseam = ~30.75 inches
Waist = ~34 inches
Cuffs = 1.25 inches
I am open to interesting trades but not the undershirt you stole from screen legend Anthony Quinn while he was working out in the part.
Androfan and Ocooney have seen it live and can testify to exactly how baller it is. Trade for it and with in one weekend, Jeeves will be prepping the country manor for you weekend getaway with several close friends, closer bottles of scotch and cigars. In the mornings you will hunt grouse. In the afternoon whilst everyone naps, you will engage in all manner of chicanery, secret trysts and over all discreet comminglings. Dinner will be served by an open fire, with the staff bringing one succulent dish after another.

Is the p2p really 17.5 inches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads