1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

Those seal skin boots are..... Something. I if rock them out in the snow. You should probably grow a beard to appropriately rock those though. I face of boh also hooked me up with some sick ae Delray in suede! I

2. evolsty

evolsty Active Member

Two good scores today at Value Village.

The first is an unstructured light pink (or salmon) La Vera Sartoria Napoletana cotton jacket. It's partially lined. Triple patch pocket, 3 roll 2. The sleeves fit perfectly, which is fortunate since it has working cuffs.
    [​IMG]

The second is a dark green Raf Simons overcoat. The tag indicates it's from the 2000-1 F/W season. It's a 38 (48 European), so too small for me. I'll be chucking it up on eBay.
    [​IMG]

3. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

I'm surprised they don't have test stations there.

Can you snap a few pics of those when you are there next time? My buddy collect action figures and knows a lot about GI Joe. I'll ask him about the value.

HAHAHAHA!

WHA!!!!!

You what, bro...Uhhhh, bad reception? LOL

4. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Anyone interested in a pair of size 32 LVC 501 selvedge 1966 jeans? The Levi's outlet store across the street is having a sale on those for about $70.

http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/jeans/1966-501r.html

I'm happy to proxy folks a pair or two, cost + shipping in exchange for some good back scratching points!

I've already proxyed 2 pairs and am going back today for another pair. I think they are out of 34. I've seen a few pairs in size 32. PM me and I'll check for you guys.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  5. grendel

grendel Senior member

That's pretty sick. I can't think of another Raf Simons find in here...

6. thriftydood

thriftydood Senior member

Some recent finds:

First, items available for trade:

A Southwick for Homer Reed (menswear store in Denver) partially lined gray herringbone tweed coat, AVAILABLE (roughly a 38-40 R/L, will send measurements upon request):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A close-up of the (horn) buttons and tweed pattern:

[​IMG]

A John Varvatos (not USA) wool/cashmere/silk blend vest, the color is chocolate, it's washed out in the picture, AVAILABLE (size M):

[​IMG]

An Ascot Chang white dress shirt, AVAILABLE (not sized, but it's a larger/longer size 15, will send measurements upon request):

[​IMG]

A Canali light blue striped dress shirt, AVAILABLE (size 16/41):

[​IMG]

Then some items I picked up for myself (not available):

A pair of Shipley & Halmos black chinos (not available):

[​IMG]

A pair of unis (not available):

[​IMG]

A pair of G-Star jeans (not available):

[​IMG]

A pair of Levi's 501 (not available):

[​IMG]

made in USA, selvedge

[​IMG]

A William & George shirt (not available);

[​IMG]

A Goldpfeil briefcase (not available)--was missing the strap, but otherwise in good condition:

[​IMG]

clearly rather old, but in very good shape considering its age:

[​IMG]

7. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

you kidding me?? la vera is a better find than kiton!! wow!

8. Alfred001

Alfred001 Well-Known Member

I'm looking to buy some pants for the winter, if anyone has any to sell. Moleskins or chinos that are thick enough for winter, don't want cords. Looking for something that doesn't have a low rise and has buttons on back pockets, in brown, stone and khaki (I'll buy multiples if you have more than one of those colors). Looking for size 32" waist.

9. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

Okay, so some of you mar-farkers have rubbed off some of that tasty thrift karma on Mr. Customer. I've been looking for something like this for six months, especially for winter. I pulled an impromptu stop at a small SA near work and came across this awesomeness:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ohhhhhh yeah...
    [​IMG]

Even though I wear a 10, these fit really good. They have hardly any wear on the soles, and just some very minor nicks on one of the heals. Look, I understand you big city ballers see this stuff all the time, but here in the sweaty taint of California, Allen Edmonds is like you guys finding Lobb's. So, with that, I hope this spreads a little bit more thrifting karma someone else out there.

Happy All Hallow's Eve.

1 person likes this.
  10. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Are they steel-toed? Would be great for kicking carts or PETA activists.

11. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Or kicking carts at PETA activists. Could be an event at the Thrift Games.

12. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Senior member

Had a serious heartbreaker today - a very recent pair of Loro Piana (mainline) khakis in a size 50 with about 6 stains and a tear in the crotch [​IMG].

Any size 10s interested in a pair of Church's custom grade opera pumps (at non thrift prices)? They couldn't have been worn more than once but weren't stored properly - there are two or 3 creases in the patent leather of the right shoe, again [​IMG]

13. rms340

rms340 Senior member

Picked this tie up and was wondering, is it a Grenadine?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. FaceOfBoh

FaceOfBoh Senior member

Hard on the seal skins, here's another entry in exotic skin, from the Great White North:
    NOS Florsheim Imperials from their exotic leathers Caravan Collection in shark skin, size 7.5 D. Still has the tag on the sole: $88!
    I posted a photo from the floor of a VV with these awhile ago but never picked them up. This past weekend's shark skin action on luxe swap - and some prompting from a fellow SF thrifter - made me go out and buy them.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also picked up an SF approved tie, probably destined for the Secret Santa, so will not share it.
    This whole Secret Santa thing is fantastic except buying for someone else makes me nervous and I'm second guessing all my ideas.

15. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

That would work. I had something like this in mind:
    [​IMG]

Awesome find!!

I had a bunch of luck at NM Last Call. When there was an extra sale, I found Drakes for $20-30. I picked them up for myself. I grabbed one Drakes and one Charvet for resale. The Charvet was $10 with tax. A few pulls, but certainly wearable.

They test all of the electronics they sell. They give you a certificate that it works along with a short warranty period (30 or 60 days). Anything tested that doesn't work is recycled unless it is something of value or could be used for parts (i.e. a recent iMac).

I only grabbed a pair of shoe trees today, so nothing too special. I do, however, have a 4 day weekend as tomorrow is a holiday (and most have or take Friday off). I'll probably try to get caught up on both work and eBay stuff, but not tonight. What's that mean?

[​IMG]

Has anyone heard from Brianpore?? Spoo?? I hope everyone over there is getting things cleaned up and safe.

16. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

I got a message from Spoo earlier this morning (PDT), he seems to be doing fine.

17. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

Dont think so,,,
    since this comes up a lot, see below for reference- can see the openness of the weave if you zoom in (if the zoom works on this one):

[​IMG]

18. westling

westling Well-Known Member

I found this vintage Brooks Brothers suit last Saturday. At least I think it's a vintage BB; can anyone help?

It's a 2B charcoal herringbone, half lined, in great condition except for loose threads in an arm hole that should be easy to repair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now here's the only clue that it might be a vintage BB. The left inside pocket has a tag that's completely faded but the right inside pocket has this:

[​IMG]

Aside from this tag, the "professional dry cleaning only" tag next to it (which seems unusually clean and bright), and the faded tag in the other pocket, there's no other labels or markings whatsoever.

Is this typical of vintage BB suits? Or is it some kind of fake that everyone knows about except me? Like I said, the suit shows almost no signs of wear whatsoever so I'm a bit suspicious. But hell -- it looks great.

19. Reigningchamp

Reigningchamp Senior member

Nice pick ups. I have been trying to put a routine together. Also keeping things hidden from my wife as she did not like the junk that I initially purchased during my initiation period. [​IMG]

20. private eyes

private eyes Senior member

I passed on a very very old Dunn & Co Harris Tweed blazer. I believe it was 10-15. I don't think I've ever seen a HT label like this one. I believe the blazer was made in scotland .

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.