The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

maybe during your recuperation, try using 5F's just for walking, to gradually strengthen your feet?

2. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

There the companion training shoe to the "Jimmy"

3. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

It's nice to see someone else from Europe here, let alone a neighbor. Let me know if you find anything in my size!

4. Jpmorris

Jpmorris Senior member

Vibram 5 fingers would not be good physiologically for my feet, if I wore them I might be tempted to remove my own feet with a hacksaw, thinking they'd been assaulted by some alien life form. I'd also prefer feeling like im doing my own small part to further foot evolution, so we don't have any more debacles like this foray into footwear in the distant future. Got my children's children's Children x1000 to worry about after all.

5. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Sorry, guys. Last consignment find before keeping everything to thrift-store pick-ups. Cucinelli cotton-and-cashmere sportcoat. The flash obscured the suede elbow-patches.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

I think I would rather just go barefoot if I were trying that.

7. bafe

bafe Well-Known Member

Hi!
    How the thrifting scene in Austria?
    I have plenty of bigger size, but if you want I can look for clothes in you size. Just say which style.

8. bafe

bafe Well-Known Member

Last night I've had a strange dream of finding a double breasted navy blazer made of terrycloth. With white horn buttons. I need someone to make it for me.

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Five fingers actually fix that, provided it's not a genetic deformity (which is really rare). Usually, such problems are caused by muscles losing all their strength from being supported and cushioned to the point where they do no work. If your foot is forced to work as designed rather than wrapped in padding, the flat feet and pronation should go away as the muscles in your foot strengthen.

I'm too lazy to pull it up, but there was a paper published in Nature about all this, it's not just marketing. Cushioned running shoes cause these problems, they don't fix them. And that's beside the issue of joints- padded running shoes teach you to heel strike, which sends force right up into the skeletal structure, and the force from each stride goes straight into the knee. When you run properly, as wearing minimal shoes with little to no padding forces you to do (because all of a sudden, you feel the pain of heel strikes that the cushioning removed), that force is absorbed into the calf. Which is another reason most people need to ease into the shoes- their Achilles tendon and calf aren't accustomed to that much force and they need to build up to it. But energy going into muscle results in stronger muscle, energy going into knee joints destroys knee joints.

10. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

PM Sent!

11. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

hi barefoot running thread,

one more thing: if you want the benefits (foot strengthening; better running mechanics,etc) of five fingers but don't want the drawbacks (the shame; the constant threat of getting your ass kicked by actual men anytime you step outside of your crossfit gym into the real world) check out merrell and new balance, they're making minimalist shoes now too. the merrell ones even have vibram soles.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2012

12. GHo

GHo Senior member

FREE BROOKS BROTHERS JACKET IF ANYONE IS INTEREST. Just shoot me $10 for shipping. Seems to be thrift find from hell - if you plan to sell on ebay, don't bother. Prefer it to go to someone who will wear it.

[​IMG]

BROOKS BROTHERS JACKET IN 40-42R - IT HAS A LIGHT GREEN UNDERTONE WITH NAVY AND MAROON STRIPES. THE COAT DOES NOT HAVE A MATERIAL TAG, BUT IT FEELS LIKE A COTTON, LINEN, WOOL MIX (ish)

DETAILS:
    • 2 BUTTON, NOTCHED LAPEL
    • FULLY LINED
    • SINGLE VENT
    • NON-WORKING CUFFS

SIZES:
    • CHEST - 22"
    • SHOULDERS - 19"
    • SLEEVE - 24"
    • LENGTH FROM BOTTOM OF COLLAR - 31"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Before I bought a discount pair of five fingers just for the hell of it, (hey, $20, why not, right?), I wore chucks. They were a minimalist shoe before it was cool, essentially. They've long had a following among power lifters and such because of it, too. Typical trainers, with the foam soles, get way too unstable when lifting heavy things.

I still wear them on a lot of occasions, for that matter. Though I wear the knockoff wal-mart ones more these days, they have a wider toe box, which suits my foot shape.

14. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

:slayer:

15. bafe

bafe Well-Known Member

I'm always hoping of finding a similar, but double breasted, jacket. Possibly without elbow patches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.