1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Everything is available, with the exception of the BB car coat.

Vestimenta suit. How bout a tie? Kinda old but I picked it up b/c it’s Vestimenta(!)
    [​IMG]

BB Outerwear Navy car coat. I already have a car coat but this was so cool that I’m gonna add it to the rotation.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]Missing a sleeve button but there's one in this little pouch. :slayer: [​IMG]

Unicorn Zanellas in black. 36W x 28I (with 2.5” to let out)
    [​IMG]

Nat Nast flat fronts. Color gray. 42W x 28I (w/ 1” to let out). Hard to tell if that is the true inseam as there is a lot of excess fabric in the crotchal area. Big dogs feel free to opine on this.
    [​IMG]

BB PTBs. Alden made? Size 11D. Dreaded back of car pix :embar:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Non clothing find: Timbuk2 small messenger bag.
    [​IMG]

2. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Footbed looks like Alden. Hard to see the writing, but it looks like it could be Alden too - closeup shot of it?

Quote:

3. mhtcjt37

mhtcjt37 Senior member

Picked up a Ben Silver Tie and YSL Knit Tie, can anyone verify the authenticity of the YSL. I've been looking for a couple nice knit ties. So at a $1 a piece I'm not too worried.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then picked this up at a local vintage store. Certainly not thrift prices but not expensive by any means, just loved the jacket for some reason. Pictures don't do it justice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Bad fake, right?

Three button leather jacket. The leather felt quality, I think, but I don't really know.

No tags anywhere ...

[​IMG]

Medusa head buttons felt like plastic ...

[​IMG]

5. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I don't think there's much (any) question. Those are Alden.

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Phenomenal.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  7. suited

suited Senior member

For the tie cleaning...

Try taking a Q tip and putting some oxy-clean/water mixture on the end and gently wipe. I was able to get a huge stain out of a tie with this method.

Lunch time - picked up 2 pairs of zanella slacks and 2 pairs of canali slacks plus a nearly new BB button down during a bitchin' sale at a local thrift.

8. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

9. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Senior member

TO THOSE OF YOU THAT SELL SHOES...

Do you offer Returns? if so, How often do you get returns because of fit issues?
    Im curious because im thinking about selling several pairs of shoes so that I could invest in a new pair of either Allen Edmonds or Alden.

10. NORE

NORE Senior member

If you are selling [used] shoes it is generally accepted that there are no returns, especially if you sell them here. If you're selling on eBay it is a gamble.

11. jamiebryant

jamiebryant Senior member

Hmm, Ok.
    Well, as much as I dont want to, because I feel that those John Lobb - Lopez loafers I found in like new condition are somewhat of a thrifting trophy to me...I might be selling them along with some other shoe finds to fund a brand new pair of shoes.
    I know alot of you advised me against selling them but im just not that crazy about loafers and I really wanna get something that I know ill wear.
    I just feel that theyre gonna sit in my closet or might end up as a showpiece to friends/family who dont give a shit hahaha.

12. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

I wouldn't worry about it - A lot of people around here obsess far too much over brands, sometimes at the expense of ignoring style preferences. If you know you don't like loafers and won't wear them, there's no reason to keep them just because the name attached to them is really really good.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  13. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

+1 - the nicest brand label in the world is worthless if it's attached to something you'll never wear.

To remind myself of this, I keep around a Brioni leopard print 100% rayon short-sleeved shirt. ;)

14. Friskydingo

Friskydingo Senior member

That Brioni is very cool. I would like to think that I have the balls to rock something similar.

Also, I thrifted a very similar YSL tie a little while ago. Mine is maroon, and I wear quite a bit. I don't think there is any need to worry about it being fake.

15. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Anyone here operate as hitch-n-post on the bay?

16. Towers

Towers Senior member

[VIDEO]http://en.vidivodo.com/video/by-mr-b-the-gentleman-rhymer-just-like-a-chap/990739[/VIDEO]

Had a good day today, nearly had a coronary when the cashier pulled the hanger off a Borelli tie without un-clipping it first. :cloud:

17. Anth

Anth Well-Known Member

Good question, they seem to have the market cornered when it comes to AE's and Aldens.

18. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Seriously, I just won some AE Bayfields and wondered if it was someone here.

19. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

[​IMG]

I would the shit out of that if I had it!

20. concealed

concealed Senior member

Available?

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.