• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raz

Reaction score
[quote name="SpooPoker"
Looks good from here broseph[/quote]

Thanks A pound well spent :)

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Better pics of the Hickey Freeman I posted last night. NWT, 46 L and available.

hfcash8.jpg

hfcash.jpg

hfcash4.jpg

hfcash3.jpg

hfcash9.jpg

GHo

Reaction score

^^^ This conversation reminded me of a question that I had been meaning to ask on here.  Now that the new eBay policy requiring a 14 day return policy and 1 day turnaround for shipping to maintain the Top-Rated Seller 20% final value fee discount is in full effect...  How many of you are going to accept the 14 day return policy?

Personally, I weighed the possibility of an increase of bogus returns against the 20% FVF discount and came to the conclusion that 1 or 2 bogus returns per month would equal or exceed any potential savings by agreeing to eBay's new policy.  :fu:   Unless I'm missing something (which is probably the case), what do you guys think?

I agree. NO way I'm going to make the change to accept returns.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You know any statement in this thread is useless without pics, right? ;)

Truth, but I'm actually going to see this girl again, so no pics. If it was a one time thing yes, but there's potential here. Lesson learned from last night, tassel loafers get the girls.

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Truth, but I'm actually going to see this girl again, so no pics. If it was a one time thing yes, but there's potential here. Lesson learned from last night, tassel loafers get the girls.

You've gotta at least post a thrift fit pic

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Better pics of the Hickey Freeman I posted last night. NWT, 46 L and available.
hfcash8.jpg

hfcash.jpg

hfcash4.jpg

hfcash3.jpg

hfcash9.jpg

Normally I would jump on that but my cash flow prevents a decent offer. Surprised nobody else has pounced - that is an attractive sport coat.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got all excited the other day when I saw this:

Then as I looked more carefully I found this:

:brick:

They looked much worse than the picture shows and the pockets were also stained. What's worse is it was in a GW in the middle of nowhere...although I have had some good success there.

Did score a nice Bullock & Jones striped l/s shirt (sz L) and a Patagonia l/s shirt (sz XL) I'm keeping for myself. The great thing about the bit of weight I've lost is I can get back into 44R jackets and some large shirts depending on the cut.

Last edited:

mjt73106

Reaction score
Got all excited the other day when I saw this:

Then as I looked more carefully I found this:

baldy[1].gif

They looked much worse than the picture shows and the pockets were also stained. What's worse is it was in a GW in the middle of nowhere...although I have had some good success there.
Did score a nice Bullock & Jones striped l/s shirt (sz L) and a Patagonia l/s shirt (sz XL) I'm keeping for myself. The great thing about the bit of weight I've lost is I can get back into 44R jackets and some large shirts depending on the cut.
Been there ~ Done that!!
ffffuuuu.gif
censored.gif

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Completely odd and awesome three piece. Summer weight half lined. Can't tell what the material is, but it is a hopsack like loose weave, linenish, silkish. The union tag dates it between 1948 and 1962. Picked it up for easye, hopefully he likes it. Close to a 38 I think.

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
Hey All. I finished adding a bunch of vintage Trad / Ivy stuff to my Etsy shop that some of you guys were asking about. Lemme know if you see anything you're interested in and maybe we can work out some trades / deals.
spam[1].gif

Alright, back to the regularly scheduled Christian Dior ties and YSL Pour Homme dress shirts.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been in Portland, Oregon, this week and have had a chance to hit a bunch of thrifts. There seems to be a decent second-hand market here. Some highlights:

—Passed on some Brooks Brothers "Brooks English" opera pumps in my size (11 D). I have no use for them, though I would have bought them anyway if they weren't $35.

—Saw 32 pairs of Ferragamo shoes in one day. Mostly women's, though one pair of men's was my size. They were black penny loafers so I passed.

—Picked up a sweet Breuer peach cashmere tie and four Lands' End silk knits in staple colors (navy, burgundy, black, forest green).

—Found a mint North Face quilted down jacket in black for a family member. I was hoping to see some more outdoor/tech stuff here than I did.

—Passed on 4 great Willis and Geiger belts that were unfortunately huge.

—Passed on lots of decent stuff I might have picked up for trades were I not traveling: Sulka, Zegna, Isaia (in my size, but orphans), Ferragamo, Frye, Vineyard Vines, Coach, tons of vintage Pendleton.

Overall, not a bad place to thrift. They do have a few boutique Goodwills here with ridiculously priced stuff (200 for a mid 90s Zegna suit), but lots of good stuff seems to still make it to the regular Goodwills.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Completely odd and awesome three piece. Summer weight half lined. Can't tell what the material is, but it is a hopsack like loose weave, linenish, silkish. The union tag dates it between 1948 and 1962. Picked it up for easye, hopefully he likes it. Close to a 38 I think.

That's pretty awesome, definitely neat to see it in a three piece, though I'm sure the jacket could be worn as a separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads