The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madmacs

madmacs Senior member

here maybe?

http://www.ohiotravelbag.com

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Things I learned today:

Zegna Trofeo suits are ventless, three button, sandily-fabriced suit monstrosities! :fu:

Croatia is a tourist destination. :eh:

Check Your Head is not the album with Sabotage and all that other good stuff. At first I was pretty stoked about that find, was gonna pop it in and kick it like it was 1995(?) again, in honor of MCA and all my fallen homies. Alas, no dice...

3. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Taking a quick break from measurements to catch up and post today's finds. I will try to reply to all PMs tonight, but I am sorry if I don't get to you tonight.

Also, a big think you to every one who has said something nice about me recently. :)

In that spirit, I have to give a shout out to Grendel and Nell for hooking me up with an awesome HF glen plaid shirt and some awesome Daks trousers, respectively. Thank you! :slayer:

:lol: I was on the screen for literally a one second as a bidder. I had no idea when I'd be on, as apparently they don't edit each auction as an episode, rather excerpts from multiple auctions as one episode. I'll probably appear again on one in the future, as I bid on multiple items. But... I did snap a picture of myself on the screen so I guess I'll use this as an opportunity to post a thrift fit. (Let it be known that if I had known I was going to be on TV, I would have worn something different)

Here I am:

[​IMG]

Wearing one of my favorite thrift finds ever. I posted this when I found it over a year ago, but only a crappy cell pic. So, here it is again:

Real MOP buttons, lining from Moessmer who provides some fabric to the likes of Brunello Cucinelli, etc. So :slayer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know. I pee my pants every time I find anything from the Criterion Collection in a thrift.

Should be about a 40 Short, but I've received so many inquires about this. I'll go through in order of inquiry received. I will say that it's unvented, which will probably turn a lot of people off.

No trouble at all. I hope you find a bike that works out for you!

I will add you to the list for the PRL.

So far, I've only saved them. I use the cloth for polishing cloths. Have also considered the PS route.

Will PM you with measurements!

Ted Lapidus was pretty influential from the mid-century on. He did a few things with John Lennon (and I believe Yoko), as well as make garments for a few other huge celebrities of the day. AFAIK, there was some licensed stuff, but I found a suit the other day that would rival a Brioni, almost a Kiton, in the amount of hand-work and materials. The SC I posted isn't quite as nice, and I suspect it may be made close to, or after, his death. It still is comparable in quality to the Corneliani for PRL, if not even slightly better.

For yourself? Definitely. To trade here? Maybe. To flip? I'd pass

Anyway... on to today.

Maus & Hoffman haus brand. Very nice quality. Possibly Oxxford? Probably not available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lowe Alpine fleece. Not available.
    [​IMG]

Some RG $$$
    [​IMG]

Decent quality 7 fold for those looking for their first foray into such a beast. I always feel dirty spreading the lips to reveal essence of the 7 fold...Available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This next one is not for the faint of heart. Available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Helly/Hansen packable windbreaker. Welded seams--the works. Not available.
    [​IMG]

Sick charcoal grey suit for Saks. Apparently the SC I found the other day was made by Oxxford, and this is very similar in construction to that...Flat front pants and no cuff :slayer: Available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now... If my suspicions are true, this is an AWESOME find. I believe they are Edward Green for the following reasons: hand-written last info indicating "Malvern", they look like EG "Malverns", and the sole/heel looks similar to my EG for BB. Somebody please confirm. Definitely not available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And icing on the cake - vintage Mark Cross suitcase. Not available.
    [​IMG]

4. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Oh you so clever, mr. spam bot.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

5. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Your posts frequently amuse me :)

What Zegna have you been looking at? Old old stuff it seems :lol:

Actually this is something I have noticed: Old Zegna = sucks, new Zegna = :slayer:

Usually it is the other way round, brands once known for their high end tailoring devolve into buck chasing fuckers looking for larger margins via lowering quality.

6. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

Pwned by Spoo and Andro. The only thing giving me solace is the fucking hot ass girl I hooked up with tonight. :slayer: If I can't brag about my finds (b/c there's nothing in my town) I'm going to brag about the hottie I landed tonight. Oh thank you SF for teaching my how to dress. She was digging my outfit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

7. vgeek

vgeek New Member

I've had some luck on a wool/cashmere sports coat and some wool pants using something called K2r. They sell it on Amazon for like $7 a can, or most Ace Hardwares or Do-it-Best Stores will have it for around the same price. It will absorb the stain and leave behind a white residue that you can brush off, sometimes with the help of a little lukewarm water.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

330CK - Dude. Where to kop vintage Olympics shirt. NAO.

You know any statement in this thread is useless without pics, right? ;)

9. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Dude that was 1992 and it's got So Watcha Want and Groove Holmes (they love them some soul jazz organ guys, they cover Jimmy Smith's Root Down on Ill Communication it was?) PRetty good! You're thinking of Ill Communication (1994)

Yo 330CK that Craig Sager not for the faint of heart jacket is what size? Hit me on the PM...

10. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

I forgot to mention that I did find another H. Freeman and Sons suit with the biggest lapels I've ever tried on. It's mostly brown and we all know that brown is for...!

And yes, I'm wearing my work "uniform" of black shirt and khaki (chinos but I cheat a bit) pants.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, damn. Maybe I should go back?

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Srsly? The pants WERE flat front IIRC but doesn't it seem a bit "costumey"? Where do you wear something like that?

13. Raz

Raz Senior member

14. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Awesome! Measurements? [​IMG]

15. SpooPoker

Me? Anywhere. You? SF/MB meet ups, photoshoots, your first Axcess Hollywood interview.

Looks good from here broseph

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.