The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I am sorry this happened to you man.

While it is buyer responsibility to look at measurements, I feel that many pay lip service to these and go by size tag or inferred size tag (most have no clue about their measurements).

The suit measurements you posted indicate a trimmer 46R or certainly a bigger than average 44R (with 48US shoulders). Still though, stupid buyer for not checking measurements :mad:

Suit probably did not fit the buyer well, and he is throwing as many random excuses to make sure he gets his money back.

I also hate how many buyers think that a private seller is somehow a Neiman Marcus. They do not realize that their stupid mistakes cost sellers money through eBay fees and postage (a full refund includes eBay total with postage to buyer so seller picks up this tab). I too would like to know the ID of this buyer since I could well live without those that think it is OK to return something on a whim (or if they make an error, the seller must pay for it). :fu: :fu:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

2. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

1950's to 1960's. Ofcourse it works! These were (like everything else made in that time) built like tanks ....made to last a lifetime or two.
    FYI, Underwriters Laboratories is a safety certification sticker and not the manufacturer.
    A nice find with an art deco feel to it. I would consider a new paint job to warm it up from that battleship grey.

3. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ This conversation reminded me of a question that I had been meaning to ask on here. Now that the new eBay policy requiring a 14 day return policy and 1 day turnaround for shipping to maintain the Top-Rated Seller 20% final value fee discount is in full effect... How many of you are going to accept the 14 day return policy?

Personally, I weighed the possibility of an increase of bogus returns against the 20% FVF discount and came to the conclusion that 1 or 2 bogus returns per month would equal or exceed any potential savings by agreeing to eBay's new policy. [​IMG] Unless I'm missing something (which is probably the case), what do you guys think?

4. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I'm willing to proxy this MINT RLPL tie. Crazy design, but it might work for someone here. Total cost is $35 which includes shipping + Paypal. It's consignment priced, so I'm not trying to gauge anyone here. PM if interested.

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Those guys who I sold stuff to + proxied for, sorry about not shipping yet. I had a take home final for my real analysis and it was a real pain in the ass. (Klobber, DM7, vouch for me yeah?) 15 pages of proofs fuck me. I'll get them out tomorrow, or Sunday at the latest.

You guys are going to hate me, but I went thrifting after turning in my final. (Couldn't deal with the drive + long wait at the post office)

I'd say it was a pretty good day. Solid reward for my hard work :nodding:

Two Turnbull and Asser shirts, in pretty awesome fabrics, a pair of Brioni and Zanella Platnium UNICORNS :slayer:

Shirts are 16.5 and Zanellas + Brioni's are 40. There was another two pairs of Zanellas and a pair of Neiman Marcus made by Incotex in 40. They're very recent if anyone wants me grab them. There were alot of other Turnbull and Assers in 16.5, along with Thomas Pink and T.M Lewin in some pretty cool fabrics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Recent Hickey Freeman Tweed jacket. Size 42. Available.

[​IMG]

Two pairs of Allen Edmond Sanfords. Black is 8 (BRIAN, AREN'T YOU GLAD I DIDN'T SHIP DAT POOLE YET?) and Walnut is 11. Both, available.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oxxford staple suit. Has dem flat fronts. sz 43. AVAILABLE
    [​IMG]

Carrol and Co by Chester Barrie suit. sz 42. AVAILABLE
    [​IMG]

BBGF 3-piece Tuxedo. Even has the braces and everything. sz 43. TAKE IT FROM ME PLEASE.
    [​IMG]

Then, shit got real.

Turnbull and Asser ballin' suit. sz 43 Available.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Recent Brioni Tuxedo... jacket. searched the whole place, couldn't find them. Maybe I should check the womens.
    [​IMG]

Louis Vuitton Jacket. sz 40!! I know it's probably an orphan, but at my age, it don't matter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alright, I'll be honest, I didn't get the Louis Vuitton from a thrift, but for $150, not bad.

Got myself a pair of Nike soccer cleats, a pair of Seavees chelseas, an Inter Milan jersey and a jacket that Bear Grylls advertises for.

Oh yeah, big boys. 42, 44 (ESPECIALLY 44), 46. Get at me. I'm moving out and I need to get rid of a lot of the stuff. I've got a shit ton of jackets and pants in your sizes. And they're mostly Brioni, Isaia and Oxxford. They'll go pretty cheap.

6. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

I ran this through Google translate: eBay to English:

Hello,

I just received the suit. It does not fit me well. Additionally my Wife yelled at me for the purchase as I wasn't supposed to spend this much on a suit. I assume that you will be allowing me to return this item because if you don't I will not only leave negative feedback but will also file a SNAD claim which I am certain to win. Please let me know your intentions

I get one or two of these per week and consider them a cost of doing business on eBay.

7. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I'm saying fake. I'm pretty sure "Hermes Paris" isn't supposed to appear under the horse and carriage. Also, on the blade the front wheel of the carriage should be touching the ground. I see some pink underneath. Insert sex joke here.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

I am not going to do it. Ebay is full of buyers who don't know their sizes. I don't want to take returns for fit.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I hit up 8 stores today. Found a few things. Sizes will be filled in as I get them measured.

Tom James
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Seersucker 44L
    [​IMG]

Polo RL Unstructured 3 button, Surgeon Cuffs
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Natazzi Plaid 3 Button Orphan
    [​IMG][​IMG]

NWOT Donna Karan Signature Black with Blue Pinstripe
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Canali Plaid 3 Button Orphan
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Canali Peak Lapel DB Pinstripe Orphan
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Valentino DB Glen Plaid
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BB 3roll2 Washable Unstructured
    [​IMG]
    BB Gray Pin Stripe
    [​IMG]

BB Solid Gray 38S
    [​IMG]

BB Glen Plaid
    [​IMG]

Florsheim Imperial Brogued Tassel Loafers 9 D
    [​IMG]

Hanover Monks 8 D/B
    [​IMG]

Florsheim Cap Toe 9.5 D
    [​IMG]

Bally - Chancy 10.5 B
    [​IMG]

AE Bergland 8.5 E
    [​IMG]

Some Ties
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lastly, couldn't let you guys down.
    [​IMG]

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

The chest is only 47" around. That's a 44 in my book, MAYBE a 45, but not a 46 and certainly not a 48.

Here's what I told him:

I'm sorry that the suit doesn't work for you. As the listing said "The suit is marked a 48R but measures more like a 44R, but see the measurements below for details". Although it's marked a 48R, the suit jacket isn't even 48 inches around the chest, and would be 51 inches around on average for a 48R.

I don't usually do returns, but in this case I will accept a return and refund your purchase price minus shipping and a 10% relisting fee. Please let me know if you'd like to do this.

Never got there in the first place and returns are just a pain, so I have no desire to get there.

Yeah, I suppose so, but this is ridiculous. If you're going to come up with excuses at least make them ones that aren't covered in the listing and don't complain about wear on areas that have closeup photos. That's just lazy.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I use the 14 day return policy, but I charge a 10% restocking fee + shipping for returns relating to fit.

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

14. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

Don't think it's enough fabric for a gun bag... maybe could hold a few casings. I'll see what I can work out.

*edit* Brian, I just sent a request for access to the block list :)

15. mainy

mainy Senior member

Picked up a pair of DLK 1 series two way speakers today for 10 bucks (total). Nataku, you might know something about these, say they were made in St Paul. Anyway, solid walnut cabinet, great shape but the tweeter on one isn't firing, hopefully the tweeter isn't bad and it's just a bad connection, gotta take it apart to see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.