The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eazye

eazye Senior member

Today:
    [​IMG]
    Two of my favorite pocket square finds to date, both hand-rolled and made in Italy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Really cool Liberty of London silk scarf for my wife.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Another fat stack of funk and soul LP's, Jackson 5, Stevie Wonder, The O' Jay's etc.
    [​IMG]
    Mint little canvas duffel by Outdoor Products, made in the USA
    [​IMG]
    Neat plaid seersucker Brooks Brothers short sleeved shirt. If anybody want's this, it's yours for cost plus shipping. Size medium.
    [​IMG]
    Mid-century desk lamp by Underwriters Laboratories, and it works!
    [​IMG]
    Mint Orvis Harris Tweed jacket, size 42, available. Made in the USA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

Found a couple Brooks Brothers 44R SCs yesterday. Both are available

Made in Italy silk/wool/linen/ramie blend herringbone
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Made in Canada wool houndstooth
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    and an Anderson & Sheppard tweed with a couple holes. I left behind three others made for the same client that had lots of damage to the linings.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ My wife was just talking about that. It's kind of a sad story... [​IMG]

Over the past couple of years, we inevitably end up talking about what makes good clothes - quality materials, quality construction, etc. Shopping in general, and specifically at thrift / discount stores, has become increasingly more enjoyable for me as I can more readily find nice things that I would have overlooked in the past as well as avoid overpriced things that I probably would have fallen for if I didn't know any better. And the result has been the accumulation of a pretty solid wardrobe.

Conversely, my wife has found less enjoyment shopping for women's clothes (both new and second-hand) since even the high-end, designer brands become disposable because of quickly changing women's fashions. And on top of that, the majority of women's clothing does not put an emphasis on quality materials and construction. And the women's clothing that does have an emphasis on quality materials and construction is not feminine or stylish.

I found a Barba Napoli women's button-up shirt that is better than or equal to any shirt on my side of the closet. She would rather wear the same shirt from J. Crew made in China than look like she's on her way to coach a high school gym class... or perhaps enter her prize cats at a regional cat fanciers' show. I can't say that I blame her, either... [​IMG]

4. Regg

Regg Senior member

Lol, I'm almost tempted to buy some Robert Graham shirts for $59 at marshalls...if only Ebay didn't rob you so

5. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

+1 Women are so hard to buy for. I just saw a Womens Etro Blazer for $10 but left it cause you really cant tell with women's stuff

6. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

+1 leave all the womens Thomas Pink and Brooks Brothers shirts I see (even that most would fit me better then the mens stuff) [​IMG]

7. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I'm not sure that this is necessarily true. It's true that most thrift-store customers are women, but it's also true that most of the stuff they buy is utter crap, same as with men. It is also true that there is always a lot more product for women in thrift stores than for men. I'm not sure how the crap-to-customer ratio works out, but I suspect that there is still plenty there, we just don't often look for it (who has the time) or would recognize it if we did. I do know that the women's belt section is the go-to place for crocodile and alligator belts (never happened to me, but I know that Alan C has scored) and the scarf section is the place to find pocket squares.

8. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Sick! What kind of bulbs does it use?

Also, where the hell are pocket squares usually hidden in thrift stores? I swear there are either 1- no pocket squares in thrifts here or 2- they're hidden in the women's department somewhere.

9. eazye

eazye Senior member

It uses a florescent bulb, the one it came with works, but flickers so it will have to be replaced. I've always found pocket squares in the women's scarf section and also sometimes in housewares where they mistake them for napkins. Scored a bunch of cotton ones that way. Also on the topic of women's wear, IF YOU GUYS COME ACROSS ANYTHING THAT'S COOL AND QUALITY IN SIZE 0-2, SMALL-XS GRAB IT FOR ME AND I WILL GLADLY GIVE YOU MY MONEY!!!!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

10. eazye

eazye Senior member

Sorry for the double post, 33CK posted some sweaters a few pages that he grabbed for me for my wife. Stuff like that, she digs the RL stuff. And on the same topic, the only things I've really found for her were some PRL OCBD's and a Loro Piana button up that she wears at least one a week. The seersucker Robert Graham blazer, not so much.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

11. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

re women's wear: the only stuff i look for for my wife is recent j crew stuff - shirts, blazers, outerwear, skirts, etc. quality is ok, and at thrift prices, it's a good deal. i know the guys in here (and SF in general) tend to get hard-ons for quality, build and craftsmanship, but i don't think women give a crap. they just want something they can wear that looks cute.

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Ask where the women's silk scarves are. There you shall find your squares.

13. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ Whatever happened to that Thom Browne shirt with the red, white, and blue stripes behind the button placket? [​IMG]

14. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Word on this, picked up a Summer 2010 unconstructed blazer for my GF and its probably one of the nicer pieces she owns. She mostly owns MiC stuff and feels guilty buying even J Crew stuff at full pop. Bonus on the blazer is it was bafflingly placed on the .99 cent clearance rack. My eye for current patterns and materials in menswear easily picked it out. I also found some Made in Italy ballet flats that were absolutely mint. Keep an eye out for J Crew women's with recent labels because they've taken to using fine materials and techniques (Loro Piana wool, loopwheeled cotton, fine silk, benchmade shoes, etc)

15. tonylamer

tonylamer Senior member

Another consignment find: Borrelli cashmere-and-silk tie. It kills me that I used to buy ties at Sears for the cost of one of these guys. The shop also just got a few Brioni suits in the $599 CAD range. Very recent side-vented, flat-front numbers. Two in 44R: One solid charcoal and the other black flannel pinstripe. One in 40R: super 150s+ in light grey with a muted blue pinstripe. Kind of metallic. And a couple of cashmere Brioni SCs in the $400 range. Probably not proxy territory, but these are like-new suits and you could probably wear them for a year and get your money back on eBay. I picked up one to go along with the Zegna Trofeo that I bought. I'll post pics when they get back from the tailor.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.